Northern Soul Genres

Guest leeham987

welcome Leeham to SS :hatsoff2: my opinion of crossover is where the sound mixes from 60s into 70s a sort of mix up of traditional 60s musicians being tampered with by new electronic gadgets thingys :huh: others see it as something different but on the whole no one really knows i think, basically some say most things recorded between 1969 - 1974 :thumbsup: but to me its not a date its a sound of a tune :D confused ? you will be, hope that helps :lol:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Im new to northern soul, mainly into skinhead ska/reggae

just wondered what the term crossover meant?

and is there other sub genres?

Northern soul isn't a genre in itself, so I suppose all styles of northern are other genres/sub-genres. Soul, Pop, Rock, Funk, RnB, Latin, Jazz, the okey cokey... all these genres have found their way into northern venues and into the northern canon.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLN5I6fXCD8&feature=related crossover type

northern soul

Lyrics arrangement all different. NS is raw, crossover is designer soul.

now i would say neither of these are crossover, one is 70s disco the other Eddie Parker is proper Northern :D

see Leeham just how confusicng what crossover is :yes:

another way of describing Crossover is, none of that bang bang shite regulary played at Wigan :lol:

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

Bearsy said now i would say neither of these are crossover, one is 70s disco the other Eddie Parker is proper Northern, thats what I put in my post, and Im trying to show one extreme to the other. remember the thread poster wanst to be broken in gently.

Edited by Marky Tee
Social source share

It still gets played out at NS crossover venues and danced to

so does duffy but that aint crossover or Northern :yes:

Marky its defo Disco as in D.I.S.C.O :lol:

Social source share

Bearsy said now i would say neither of these are crossover, one is 70s disco the other Eddie Parker is proper Northern, thats what I put in my post, and Im trying to show one extreme to the other. remember the thread poster want to be broken in gently.

Thers no breaking in on SS Marky once you go past your first post :lol::thumbup:

Marky i just seen the bottom comment on your post so sorry i know where your coming from now :thumbsup:

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

Welcome to the mad house Leeham !!!! Someones crossover is another ones funky Northern ;)

Well, for me it is when it gets away from the 4/4 with a drum powering relentless at 125 BPM. The drum and the whole production is also predominantly focusing on that formula giving it a pretty clear rhythem in production and sound. Crossover is quite a wide field and is described by many quite differently. But more or less you'll find late 60's and 70's sounds with a less motown like pounding beat (4/4 125 BPM) and a more complex arragement fitting the bill.

I am sure the two tracks underneeth show you some crossover soul with still a strong northern feel. But it gives it musically a starting point from where the production moved away from the more traditional northern soul beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCjxUZZUOng

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

so does duffy but that aint crossover or Northern :yes:

Marky its defo Disco as in D.I.S.C.O :lol:

Seriously now.... sombre face, tilts head to one side, solemn question what do you consider to be crossover?
Social source share

You know when you buy a big box of chocolates and there's all these fabulous flavours, and eventually you are just left with the coffee creams? That's crossover. The coffee creams I mean.

:facepalm: oh dear.....

What a terrible summary Pete.

"Variety is the spice of life" mate as Jerry Butler said on something (can't remember what though right now).

And beside's...I like coffee creams!

Coffee creams are not just for Christmas ! :)

Eddie

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

"Variety is the spice of life" mate as Jerry Butler said on something (can't remember what though right now).

Eddie

Thought that was Forrest Gump lol ( Moody Woman)
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Prepare to be totally confused :g:

Here's my opinion - crossover is late 60s/ early 70s that cant be easily classed as either.

I have no idea what crossover is these days, but I used to think it was that Steve. That tough ballsy early 70s that could pass as 60s, stuff like Ann Sexton - I Still Love You and Etta James - All Over But The Shouting. Now though when a DJ plays mostly crossover, or post it on Facebook it seems to be melodic mid-tempo 70s group harmonies with strings etc...

So, no idea these days. :(

Social source share

Eddie

Eddie.

Would you have preferred I said "It's the absolute dregs of what wasn't deemed good enough to be Northern Soul in the first place" ?

Social source share

Welcome to the mad house Leeham !!!! Someones crossover is another ones funky Northern ;)

Well, for me it is when it gets away from the 4/4 with a drum powering relentless at 125 BPM. The drum and the whole production is also predominantly focusing on that formula giving it a pretty clear rhythem in production and sound. Crossover is quite a wide field and is described by many quite differently. But more or less you'll find late 60's and 70's sounds with a less motown like pounding beat (4/4 125 BPM) and a more complex arragement fitting the bill.

I am sure the two tracks underneeth show you some crossover soul with still a strong northern feel. But it gives it musically a starting point from where the production moved away from the more traditional northern soul beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCjxUZZUOng

Great reply VIP. and what a class pair of tunes as examples. To be honest anyone who dismisses crossover as designer soul or shit etc, are either talking out of their arses, attempting comedy or talking out of their arses. What you will find however, is that the northern crowd will usually be dancing to uptempo crossover tunes about 5 years after the crossover fans have been playing them. Forget about genres and enjoy good music.

Jordi

Social source share

There are quite a few more genres wich still fit within the northern soul formula !!!

Beat Ballads: - Donald Height - You can trudt your best friend

Popcorn: - Justin Jones Dance By Yourself

Funky Northern: The Crow - Autumn of tomorrow + The Mystics I really love you

RnB Flavoured: Gene Carter Ring Around My Rosie

Latin Flavoured: BOBBY VALENTIN - USE IT BEFORE YOU LOOSE IT

Anyway, two current faves of mine!!!!

Fantastic funky group harmony monster with a tinge of latin !!!! Absolute monster !!!!!!!!!

and a funky Crossover Northern Obscurity ;)

Social source share

Great reply VIP. and what a class pair of tunes as examples. To be honest anyone who dismisses crossover as designer soul or shit etc, are either talking out of their arses, attempting comedy or talking out of their arses. What you will find however, is that the northern crowd will usually be dancing to uptempo crossover tunes about 5 years after the crossover fans have been playing them. Forget about genres and enjoy good music.

Jordi

And you were voted leader by who exactly?

Social source share

Hmmmm interesting in some parts dregs is often used to discribe shit which you were saying in the first place..... ''It's the absolute dregs of what wasn't deemed good enough to be Northern Soul in the first place" ? .....so maybe if you can voice your opinion about crossover ..... he may also say his opinion about crossover .... :g:

ahhhh what a drag :lol:

btw. leeham, it's always quite lively on here with a lot of passion.... so don't worry, we are all nutters :hatsoff2:

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

Well you just stated that only your opinion matters and nobody else's does. I don't like it, but that doesn't matter because you say I'm talking shite, next thing you'll be using words like 'uneducated' and 'dinosaur'. I just don't like it.

I don't know where you have seen me state that only my opinion matters and nobody elses does, that's a nice bit of word twisting a tabloid news reporter would be proud of. My point was aimed at the poster who produces a weak 70's disco tune and a northern oldie as his examples of crossover, both of which only ever get played in northern rooms. If he knows f@ck all about crossover, why does he answer the thread starters question? As a response to the question, I didn't think it was very helpful and his comment about crossover being designer soul was ridiculous. VIP's post was a good reply and he chose 2 very good examples to illustrate how brilliant crossover can be.

Social source share

I don't know where you have seen me state that only my opinion matters and nobody elses does, that's a nice bit of word twisting a tabloid news reporter would be proud of. My point was aimed at the poster who produces a weak 70's disco tune and a northern oldie as his examples of crossover, both of which only ever get played in northern rooms. If he knows f@ck all about crossover, why does he answer the thread starters question? As a response to the question, I didn't think it was very helpful and his comment about crossover being designer soul was ridiculous. VIP's post was a good reply and he chose 2 very good examples to illustrate how brilliant crossover can be.

Everyone's description is going to be different though isn't it, if you're for something or if you're against something it's going to wildly differ. I just think the majority of crossover records THAT I'VE HEARD are just like the sort of tracks that we found on the B sides of good Northern records and never played again. Some like them, some don't.

Social source share

I am some what clearer......... I think :g:

the more i listen to it, i'm sure i'll pick things up.

cheers.

good luck on that,,,lol if all crossover was like the cookie scott one id be well pleased what a great record ive been on scene45 yrsish and im not sure about crossover yet,dont even ask about popcorn or youthclub northern ect,good luck in your listenings enjoy it.......
Social source share

Everyone's description is going to be different though isn't it, if you're for something or if you're against something it's going to wildly differ. I just think the majority of crossover records THAT I'VE HEARD are just like the sort of tracks that we found on the B sides of good Northern records and never played again. Some like them, some don't.

Pete ..you don't like it cos your out of your comfort zone with all this new stuff ...it's an age thing ..the older we get ,the less we have a desire to take in new stuff :P

Jordi's was a serious answer ,your "chocolate box" theory was tongue in cheek cos it's well documented that you don't like it.

Don't take this the wrong way but as a generalisation ,i find it a bit sad that anyone can say i don't like cross-over ,when it encompasses 1000's of examples ...you surely can't dislike em all??

I don't particularly care for a lot of chart music ,but now and then i hear a song that really hits the spot ...so i don't say i don't like all ,just most of it :)

To the original poster ... cross -over is a word describing more soulful sounding music ,opposed to an uptempo track played on the Northern scene purely to fit into the ideal of the Northern soul dancer :)

Social source share

Same song - same singer - both brilliant - One Nothern & One Crossover.

Both are same singer but not sure they are same song ??

First one is 60's and uses same backing as Larry Laster-go for yourself ....and Ike and Tina -somebody somewhere

2nd one is 70's and is actually called "Lighten up" .. not "lighten up baby"

But great examples of "northern " and " cross-over" :thumbup:

Social source share

Both are same singer but not sure they are same song ??

First one is 60's and uses same backing as Larry Laster-go for yourself ....and Ike and Tina -somebody somewhere

2nd one is 70's and is actually called "Lighten up" .. not "lighten up baby"

But great examples of "northern " and " cross-over" :thumbup:

Same lyrics !!!

Social source share

First one Northern...............second one lounge music/airy fairy............a ballad...........does anyone ever dance to something that slow. Hats off to anyone who can!!! :sleep3:

:wave: Hi Carol....yes me :thumbsup::lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!