Will The Real Salvadors Step Forward, Which One?

Harry Crosby

The ebay one looks like the boot without checking. Two presses of the original both deep shade of green although both slightly different shades, think they are St Louis and Chicago pressed, the former the rarer. The ebay one looks more blue. Might be real but I'd want to check it visually before I parted with that amount of money.

Social source share

The ebay one looks like the boot without checking. Two presses of the original both deep shade of green although both slightly different shades, think they are St Louis and Chicago pressed, the former the rarer. The ebay one looks more blue. Might be real but I'd want to check it visually before I parted with that amount of money.

the ebay one was from a georgia seller who i doubt has ties to the northern scene or who would buy northern records to resell

Social source share

according to JM guide the original has 62771 with two small dimples in the deadwax. Vinyl with moulded green label with silver writing and the label is flat with little or no ridge. Boots had P.B. signed in run out.

Also boots with light blue and dark blue labels pressed in styrene.

Social source share

according to JM guide the original has 62771 with two small dimples in the deadwax. Vinyl with moulded green label with silver writing and the label is flat with little or no ridge. Boots had P.B. signed in run out.

The dimples are actually on the playing surface, not the deadwax....

Social source share

It is a funny old business ins't it. " Quite sure it's an original": does any other market operate like this? Not questionning the seller. What i do find amazing is the migration of vinyl around the world. I believe that it's quite possible for a UK boot to end up in a thrift sale in US in the mid 80s. I've got a dark blue 70s boot of this somewhere, I'll see if I can find it out and check the dimples and numbers.

If you've paid the price of an original is it ok to play a boot out :shhh: ?

Edited by Dean
Social source share

It is a funny old business ins't it. " Quite sure it's an original": does any other market operate like this? Not questionning the seller. What i do find amazing is the migration of vinyl around the world. I believe that it's quite possible for a UK boot to end up in a thrift sale in US in the mid 80s. I've got a dark blue 70s boot of this somewhere, I'll see if I can find it out and check the dimples and numbers.

If you've paid the price of an original is it ok to play a boot out :shhh: ?

I found an OOTP press of the funky sisters in a thrift store once

Edited by boba
Social source share

Yes the dimple's are on the playing surface not the dead wax as vaultofsouler mentions obviously only looking from info described and the picture I would say that is a defo boot I'm 100% confident.

It's not even a good one at that the most convincing boot is identical to the the original label and has the pb in the runout which is the only difference. I've been sent this to sell before from a collector and had to break the bad news to him that it was a boot he'd had all these years.

The actual first press has no dimples at all just to add some more confusion but it is pressed on thicker vinyl I've only ever had one of these.

Just for good measure theres also a copy which has the flip side label on both sides with no mention of Stick By Me.

Cheers Darren

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Chalky,

Please stop quoting Bootleg guide 3 it is now 15 years old and has been long replaced by Price Guide FIVE which has all the concise deadwax info and label scans of the two original SALVADORS variations and re-issues.

15 years ago no-one even knew there was TWO original pressing of the Salvadors.

John

Social source share

Yes the dimple's are on the playing surface not the dead wax as vaultofsouler mentions obviously only looking from info described and the picture I would say that is a defo boot I'm 100% confident.

It's not even a good one at that the most convincing boot is identical to the the original label and has the pb in the runout which is the only difference. I've been sent this to sell before from a collector and had to break the bad news to him that it was a boot he'd had all these years.

The actual first press has no dimples at all just to add some more confusion but it is pressed on thicker vinyl I've only ever had one of these.

Just for good measure theres also a copy which has the flip side label on both sides with no mention of Stick By Me.

Cheers Darren

I have to disagree here I think, the one on ebay looks nothing like the bootleg and I think it's a real one. When they did that pressing in 76 on styrene with a blue label, they would have based it on an original, hence the blue label. I think both blue and green are original.

Social source share

As far as I'm aware Pete, there were two boots.

The one that S.S did and a later more crude and less convincing copy.

Simons copies were done in the USA and do look very similar to original . By which , I mean look a like label ,which is all you have to go on looking at images on eBay.

Social source share

Simons copies were done in the USA and do look very similar to original . By which , I mean look a like label ,which is all you have to go on looking at images on eBay.

Yes but the good ones are green Nev but still have PB and the next ones are blue label styrene, also have PB. Thats why I'm saying the blue one in the picture looks 100% real to me. I mean, it's not like I could afford it anyway but if I had the money, I would not be afraid to bid on it.

Social source share

the one sold on ebay is deff orginal some one got a good copy at a reasonable price, im shamed to admit i got caught out in about 1985 with a PB boot they had disguised the pb with other markings. a few months later got one a real one which is as the ebay one of Mick Smith through the most impeccable source in the UK. i think you know who i mean :thumbsup:

Edited by Ted Massey
Social source share

No you dont Nev if you READ the description he states the number 2 is smaller than the others as in Mannys 5th edition and as my copy is

post-2616-0-43572300-1322309994_thumb.jp

Edited by Ted Massey
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Chalky,

Please stop quoting Bootleg guide 3 it is now 15 years old and has been long replaced by Price Guide FIVE which has all the concise deadwax info and label scans of the two original SALVADORS variations and re-issues.

John

Thanks John, that solves it for me, i never knew there were two original presses of this record, must try n keep up to speed with these things :thumbup:

Social source share

I have to disagree here I think, the one on ebay looks nothing like the bootleg and I think it's a real one. When they did that pressing in 76 on styrene with a blue label, they would have based it on an original, hence the blue label. I think both blue and green are original.

Again you might be right Pete and without handling the 45 we dont know, all I do know is there is a boot that is exactly the same as that copy on the ebay listing and the listing states it has dimples in the deadwax..... well we all know the dimples are not in the dead wax so anyone who is only vaguely familiar with the markings could well of added them to the disc not realising they shouldn't be there.

In defence of the disc mentioned sometimes the pictures dont always give a true representation of colour and it seems Ted knows whose got this copy and I'm sure the due dilligence has been done. That said I wouldn't of bid on it based on what I saw and what the seller described and because of this it looks like many otheres were put off as well and the buyer must be well happy with a Salvadors for around £1K.

I'm actually going to do some research into this and try and have a look at a few different copies and I'll stick up my finding on here.

Cheers darren

Edited by BROWNIE
Social source share

No you dont Nev if you READ the description he states the number 2 is smaller than the others as in Mannys 5th edition and as my copy is

post-2616-0-43572300-1322309994_thumb.jp

No worries Ted... your no mug and you've been buying rare records for a very long time,enough to know what your buying .

Keep well mate .... :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Chalky,

John

No problem John, didn't have PG 5 to hand though I assumed as you still sell it I would have though info ok to quote?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!