Suggestions For Your Top Two Cheap Best Looking / Sounding Mod Records

Ianbrown

My daughter is in her final year at school and is studying media. She is currently doing a project about The Mod Scene / Northern Soul and other era's of music from the past and present. I have given her loads of info about the northern scene and a bit about the mod scene.

She wants two 45's that were played on the 60,s Mod scene that she can (shock Horror) glue to the front of her project. Not knowing that much about the music I am looking for two Mod records from this era , one maybe on American and the other on British, that not only look good but also sound good.

These I would then try to buy cheaply to attach to the project.

Not that knowledgeable about the subject has anybody got any suggestions for me to consider.

Thanks Ian

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

You'd be best looking for Mod Jazz 45s, such Jimmy Smith on U.S. Verve 'Got my mojo working', Jimmy McGriff 'All about my girl' on U.S. Sue, or U.S. Bluenote 45s.

Most of this type of stuff is quite cheap, even some of the U.K. stuff, they represent the 60s Mod scene perfectly and they look great.

If you prefer something by a 60s blue-eyed U.K. Mod group, then it's gotta be the Small Faces...again, most of their 45s are relatively cheap.

Got plenty of this type of stuff knocking about so let me know your budget and I'll see if I can sort you out.

Otherwise there are plenty of cheap lookalikie pressings out there.

Social source share

This reminded me of when I sold a beautiful 60's portable record player on eBay, it was one of those where the top part of the case was actually a speaker. It was smaller than those handbag looking ones and really quite neat, still worked perfectly.

The lady who bought it said could I post it quickly as her daughter was going to glue it to a guitar along with some records as part of a school project.

I almost refused to send it. Fifty quid just to ruin it - Philistines.

Mind you, fifty quid is fifty quid and twice what I paid for it so I put my feelings to one side :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!