News: R.I.P J Blackfoot

Guest Nick Harrison

Indeed very sad news, lead singer in the seventies with the Soul Children and later during the 80's (mainly Soundtown) released one or two 45's and a excellent album City Slickers, whilst going it solo and still working with Homer Banks and Chuck Brooks at World Production Inc. Label mates with Shirley Brown also at Soundtown.

R I P John Blackfoot.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

This is sad news indeed, only 65. As well as the stuff mentioned he continued to release quality music through the 90's and 2k's on the Platinum Blue and Basix labels (search and check out the cut "So Good"). John Colbert, known as J Blackboot since childhood because of running around barefoot on the hot black tarmac of Mississippi!!

R.I.P. J Blackfoot

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Extremely sad news and I am very surprised by the small number of replies on this topic for the passing of such a legend of our music.

Would agree and I find it so sad that a huge amount of SS members, find watching clips of subway buskers more of a priority. Thankfull to the other acknowledged, who have already posted in respect, we were lucky to have witnessed J.B's musical journey.

Thank you.

Social source share

One of the great soul vocalists.

As stated above everybody should own "Friction" and "Genesis" by the Soul Children.

"Poem on the school house door" remains, for me, a defining moment in gritty, southern soul.

A sad loss indeed.

Can't say more than that, other than "Poem on the school house door" remains a defining moment in why soul music is the greatest art form in the world. Heart stopping on so many levels.

Giant of a man, biggest regret is missing the Poretta he did, having been there for the 3 years before, absolute giant of a vocalist.

Social source share

Agree with all the above comments about the lack of appreciation of one of soul musics truly great singers. I would say that the Soul Children -Friction album is one of the most complete soul lps. I played a tribute to him at Majestic soul on Thursday and spoke to Gareth Sweeney about him and how highly we rated him.

Jock, i was lucky enough to see him in Porretta and he was still in great form. One of my abiding memories of him was when my mate asked him to sing 'I stood on the sidewalk and cried' he said the band didn't know it so wouldn't be able to do it. However he did sing the opening few lines of it before the backing kicks in, which i thought was a nice touch.

So many great songs 'Move over' 'Midnight sunshine' 'What's happening baby' as well as having a solo hit with 'Taxi'

Rip J

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

VVery sad news. I'd not heard much of his stuff, but have been listening to some on U tube. Where is Love always reminds me of Leicester. Love it.

Social source share

Agree with all the above comments about the lack of appreciation of one of soul musics truly great singers. I would say that the Soul Children -Friction album is one of the most complete soul lps. I played a tribute to him at Majestic soul on Thursday and spoke to Gareth Sweeney about him and how highly we rated him.

Jock, i was lucky enough to see him in Porretta and he was still in great form. One of my abiding memories of him was when my mate asked him to sing 'I stood on the sidewalk and cried' he said the band didn't know it so wouldn't be able to do it. However he did sing the opening few lines of it before the backing kicks in, which i thought was a nice touch.

So many great songs 'Move over' 'Midnight sunshine' 'What's happening baby' as well as having a solo hit with 'Taxi'

Rip J

Well said Binsy

I played a tribute to the great man in my record room yesterday. 'Just One Moment' from Friction is an absolute masterpiece and edges Johnnie's version for me. His vocal in the fine stages is truly outstanding.

Social source share

Rip J

Social source share

One of those artists that came under the "achingly soulfull" banner for me. "Whats Happening", "Midnight Sunshine" "Taxi" "Sidewalk", and as Jock mentioned "Poem on the schoolhouse wall" are examples that rival anything you can mention, the man was that good, in an age where they pass off practically middle of the road singers as soul singers we can hardly afford to lose the likes of J Blackfoot and Howard Tate.

R.I.P. both of them

Kev

Social source share

J. Blackfoot's work with the Soul Children naturally commands enormous respect but along with it I must confess I've always admired his version of the country song 'I Don't Remember Loving You'.

The lyric is absolutely amazing and with Homer Banks and Chuck Brooks at the helm J. Blackfoot's interpretation of it is majestic. It's impossible to listen to this and not be amused.

RIP and thanks for so many wonderful moments.

Chris

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!