80's Bargains, Todays Gems

Was out last weekend & a good friend & ex serious collector, was on about just what great finds/bargains you could pick up during the mid eighties (I was mostly off the scene at that time). He told me about a guy who turned up at Parr Hall Warrington with 6 (that's six) mint copies of Cecil Washington on him, my mate Geoff bought one, as it was all he could afford on the night, said he had to flog a few of his own just to do raise the cash, think he paid something like £50 or so.

Was also talking to Ian Cunliffe, boy has he got a story or two to tell, could have listened to him all night with stories of a similar vain, top bloke.

Anyway, got me thinking, must be a vast amount of what are now regards as rare gems picked up for a real bargains in those days.

Care to share anyone?

Aid.

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

from the same venue,,got a ypoungblood smith for a tenner and threw in a garland green girl i love you for a £!,,also got an envy demo for £2 ..and born a loser demo for £25

always 1sy hour looking at records then 7 hrs dancing...errr whats changed 25 yrs later...NOTHING!!!!!

Social source share

from the same venue,,got a ypoungblood smith for a tenner and threw in a garland green girl i love you for a £!,,also got an envy demo for £2 ..and born a loser demo for £25

always 1sy hour looking at records then 7 hrs dancing...errr whats changed 25 yrs later...NOTHING!!!!!

Nothing changed Mark? Think for most of us now it's more like 7 hours looking at records then 1 hour dancing :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

as much as I'd like then there are quite a few tunes I conceed I'll never fork out for cause of how cheap and apparantly common they were in the 8ts, things like; both constellations, Gill Blanding, eugene Jefferson, spidels dream girl, the list goes on.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Guest garysoul82

Nearly 30 years ago bought the ascots Anytime for a tenner at the old vic record fair in wolverhampton.Sold it to manship about a

year later for 20 quid.100% profit seemed good at the time :(

Social source share

Think about 83' ish at the Parr Hall on same night it goes like this: Soloman King green & White mint Demo, Imaginations fraternity demo, Ben Zine west coast 2 Shields demo, these 3 off Richard Shaw.

Moved to next box of 45's from whom i don't know, Lou Ragland Travel Alone Demo, Cobblestone, and a red & white Alexander Patton...........All fricken 5 of them £180!!

Best Bargains though compared to todays prices, black metros since i found, Donna Colman, Constellations, and 2x Wade Flemmons jenettes from under the counter working at Ally Mayors indoor market record shop in Leicester, It was a tenner a day cash in hand and help yourself from under the counter!!!.........in other words all for nothing!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!