Vinyl Shops In Florida

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

hi there

i know its a long shot, but are there any decent second hand (soul or otherwise) vinyl shops in the orlando area (ill be based in sarasota)

figure if im paying the family to go away i should be allowed a bit of record shopping.

cheers in advance

ash

Sarasota is on the gulf coast - would of thought you would have more luck at Tampa and the likes - nearer than Orlando.

Mike

Edited by Mike Lofthouse
Social source share

Was there last month, and managed to visit a few, found nowt exciting, I did buy a few early Doo Wop 45s from Rock and Roll heaven and had an interesting chat with the guy there. He was used to folk from the UK looking for the 60s uptempo stuff.

Don't go to Soul train records, its been shut down for about 2 years, and in a very scary area of downtown Orlando, we dare'nt get out of the car ! found out later from a taxi driver there had been 9 shootings this year there. Visited a couple more, loads of rock and country cant remember were. I will try to post the addressess on here later if I get time, but I just googled record stores Orlando an it came up with a site with a list !

Just remember to have fun looking and have a great holiday, its a wonderfull place with loads to see.

If you get chance go to see the Blue man group at Universal studios, its an incredible show.

Social source share

https://www.mapquest....rlando&state=FL

Is this any good ?

Another good tip is to look out for yard sales and garage sales, and thrift stores but most of all talk to people you never know were it will lead.

Almost the highlight of my holiday was to hear The Shells Baby oh Baby played at full blast on the decks in rock and roll heaven, all the hairs on my neck stood up, just could'nt believe I was hearing it and were I was (sad eh)

Edited by soulsteve
Social source share

Go to Florida twice a year.

Rock & Roll Heaven in Orland worth a look. Usually pick up a few Motown bits but nothing special, although on my last visit found a Flrtations "Nothing But A Heartache" on Deram, mint copy only $4!

They have got boxes of records under a counter which haven't been sorted yet. There are some soul records in there but they're in artist order, as far as I remember but would imagine anything of value has been pulled and listed on ebay but you never know if you're prepared to do the leg work and sift through them.

Found a few bits at a local flea market, including a Jackie Wilson "I've Lost You" for $1.

There's another record shop not too far from R&R Heaven, can't remember the name, loads of LP's but absolute zilch soul 45's.

Done lots of local towns thrift stores (2nd hand shops) but most of em don't have any 45's at all.

If you're staying in Sarasota, Tampa might be worth a visit.

Miami - I haven't look for records yet but based on that city's soul input (70's especially) I'd be surprised if there's nothing there.

Mainly, however, I suspect that Florida's already been done big time by visiting Brits and the only way you might get lucky might be at a flea market, garage/yard sale when someone on the day just might be selling a collection :thumbsup:

Edited by Stubbsy
Social source share

if your in sarasota nip up over the big bridge to bananas records in st petersburg. i managed to find a few bits in there recently.. he does use the internet as a price guide mind but if you haggle and look for under the radar stuff youll do ok..orlando is about 2 hrs drive away from sarasota

dave

Social source share

Go to Florida twice a year.

Rock & Roll Heaven in Orland worth a look. Usually pick up a few Motown bits but nothing special, although on my last visit found a Flrtations "Nothing But A Heartache" on Deram, mint copy only $4!

They have got boxes of records under a counter which haven't been sorted yet. There are some soul records in there but they're in artist order, as far as I remember but would imagine anything of value has been pulled and listed on ebay but you never know if you're prepared to do the leg work and sift through them.

Found a few bits at a local flea market, including a Jackie Wilson "I've Lost You" for $1.

There's another record shop not too far from R&R Heaven, can't remember the name, loads of LP's but absolute zilch soul 45's.

Done lots of local towns thrift stores (2nd hand shops) but most of em don't have any 45's at all.

If you're staying in Sarasota, Tampa might be worth a visit.

Miami - I haven't look for records yet but based on that city's soul input (70's especially) I'd be surprised if there's nothing there.

Mainly, however, I suspect that Florida's already been done big time by visiting Brits and the only way you might get lucky might be at a flea market, garage/yard sale when someone on the day just might be selling a collection :thumbsup:

It's either Retro records or Vinyl frontier, I went in them both and its just as you say, loads of albums, a few 45s, but mostly 80s pop stuff or Country music.

I had a look in the "unsorted" boxes in Rock and Roll heaven, however they were all in alphabetically labled boxes so they must have been picked over, there was quite a bit of Funk, (James Brown, Parliaments etc in there) but not really what I was looking for.

Happy Hunting

Social source share

Like all the others have said about rock and roll heaven you won't find any big stuff but if your after motown or cheapies then its worth a visit. i spent 8hrs in there going through the boxes but if you ask the guys at the counter they tend to know the big names from the uk. I found a flee market in daytona beach around 5years ago which had a fantastic record stall inside, i don't know if he is still there but worth checking the net for flee markets and seeing what stalls they have. There was also one in jacksonville but i can't remember the name.

hope this helps

Danny

Social source share

A mate of mine and I spent the day record shopping in Orlando. The stores didn't have much, but we got lucky and found a Craig's List posting where a former 60s/70s radio DJ was selling 1500 45s. Nothing rare in the soul department, but found some clean Motown and a slew of Beatles original picture sleeves I was able to trade for soul 45s. I pulled about 300 records out of the group.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!