De-Lites On Cuppy "lover"

viphitman

Obviously a matter of personal taste but I never liked the record and I'd imagine it's impossible to dance to....I know, I know, no one asked! lol :rofl:

All the best,

Len.

There is always someone on this forum who defies the general consensus of what is a great Northern Soul record. In the 7ts when this was getting hammered, I don't remember one person saying that they didn't like it (and that was a lot of people at the time) I could understand your stance if this was one of those overated r&b 45s that a very small group of fans seem to endorse.

Social source share

Each to his own aye? Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you will Ted!) I was told that the Cuppy label was Bill Haley's wife's label, Cuppy being something to do with her name. I'm not denying the record definitely had a place and some folk love it, just not for me that's all - Nothing wrong in giving ones opinion, tis what makes the world go round... :yes:

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

always loved the record but off late bit tired of hearing it now - played nearly everywhere you go too these days :facepalm:

Maybe that's more the case, I must have liked it years ago as I have a copy (On a different label for playing at home!) but I still think it is a difficult dance record and always did....I know I've just contradicted myself somewhat but in hindsight, I must have liked it at one time - tastes change don't they?

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Each to his own aye? Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you will Ted!) I was told that the Cuppy label was Bill Haley's wife's label, Cuppy being something to do with her name. I'm not denying the record definitely had a place and some folk love it, just not for me that's all - Nothing wrong in giving ones opinion, tis what makes the world go round... :yes:

All the best,

Len.

Opinions should always be welcome in a debate Len , but only when asked for ;)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

thats because the the same couple play it at the same places your at grant .i also played it at two places you was at over the last 6 months im afraid,

as mark pointed out 4 including a test press in about ten years or somthing on ebay .....if you dont include the test press its the same amount o copies as the cairos

Edited by steptoe
Social source share

thats because the the same couple play it at the same places your at grant .i also played it at two places you was at over the last 6 months im afraid,

as mark pointed out 4 including a test press in about ten years or somthing on ebay .....if you dont include the test press its the same amount o copies as the cairos

ha ha so u did Paul, think i danced to it first time u played it mate :yes: piece of piss to dance to :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest turntableterra

dont care who you are ................this has to be as said, one of the all time greats of our scene, owning is a pleasure absolutley..........................................i lover it..............

Social source share

There is always someone on this forum who defies the general consensus of what is a great Northern Soul record. In the 7ts when this was getting hammered, I don't remember one person saying that they didn't like it (and that was a lot of people at the time) I could understand your stance if this was one of those overated r&b 45s that a very small group of fans seem to endorse.

every one is entitled to their opinion 'its not that rare any more ' and its not far behind those over rated R&b crap.

Social source share

All the best,

Len.

Hi Len 'i'm on your side 'over rated record

Social source share

Stop listening to it, and go out and dance to it. Perfect dance record that sounds totally different when played out. Problem is, it's been done to death like most of the great 45's. They don't make them anymore, so either keep playing the same stuff every week, or play lesser know records and kid yourself on that they are really great. :sleep3::shhh::lol:

It's all been done before............and most of us are too old and knackered to dance for any length of time.............that's why everyone wants to be a Dj. Problem is, most don't have any records to speak of, and even more don't have any taste.

Rant over...........I feel much better now............... :P:D ............Carry on.

Edited by Quinvy
Social source share

Stop listening to it, and go out and dance to it. Perfect dance record that sounds totally different when played out. Problem is, it's been done to death like most of the great 45's. They don't make them anymore, so either keep playing the same stuff every week, or play lesser know records and kid yourself on that they are really great. :sleep3::shhh::lol:

It's all been done before............and most of us are too old and knackered to dance for any length of time.............that's why everyone wants to be a Dj. Problem is, most don't have any records to speak of, and even more don't have any taste.

Loads of people you only see if they DJ or promote. Once they stop you never see them anywhere.

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

dont care who you are ................this has to be as said, one of the all time greats of our scene, owning is a pleasure absolutley..........................................i lover it..............

I may have read this wrong but your post sounds as if you are offended - You shouldn't be. I have records that I have spent small fortunes on that folk have told me are not to their taste (not half as politely as that though!) Even when I've been D.Jing! (Which is somewhat off putting lol) But even that doesn't bother me as I buy my records for myself. If I get to D.J every so often then it's a pleasure to share the joy that I get from them with people that I personally 'connect' with.

As you do with this particular record, I too have great pleasure in owning every single one of my records and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of them as they are for me. A record collection is a very personal thing which should be respected by all (Although my taste is right and everyone else's is wrong! Lol) :D

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I may have read this wrong but your post sounds as if you are offended - You shouldn't be. I have records that I have spent small fortunes on that folk have told me are not to their taste (not half as politely as that though!) Even when I've been D.Jing! (Which is somewhat off putting lol) But even that doesn't bother me as I buy my records for myself. If I get to D.J every so often then it's a pleasure to share the joy that I get from them with people that I personally 'connect' with.

As you do with this particular record, I too have great pleasure in owning every single one of my records and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of them as they are for me. A record collection is a very personal thing which should be respected by all (Although my taste is right and everyone else's is wrong! Lol) :D

All the best,

Len.

That's what creates diversity Len, broadens ones mind and they are all originals even if it clears the floor for a couple of discs I am sure you have made every ones night, even the chin stroker's.

Social source share

Loads of people you only see if they DJ or promote. Once they stop you never see them anywhere.

That's because there's nowhere worth going to. Same old music, same old people, still taking drugs, talking shite. Politics and back biting. Yeh, I'm really missing it.

Social source share

Seems to be an awful lot of allot of tracks at the moment, Appreciations on Sport on both John Manship and Tim Brown's sites this week, Lola Sands seem to be ten a penny and and most of other tracks I was always told were rare, seem to be on sale every other week, but thats been going on for yonks hasn't it.

I guess the financial squeeze has led allot of folk to sell tracks they have had a long time, but you do wonder about some titles, especially if they all seem to be in the same condition... :g:

I had an email exchange with a chap in the sales section yesterday, I think the gist of his email was allot of dealers inflate the price by holding back, which is nothing new, its just a shame nobody told em nobody's got any money these days, and they should bring their prices down!!! that said if the backers of Europe are not going to take a loss, you cant expect record hounds to either, must be some sense in that statement...

You know what, allot of these rare records ain't so rare are they... :shhh:

Mal.C.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Obviously a matter of personal taste but I never liked the record and I'd imagine it's impossible to dance to....I know, I know, no one asked! lol :rofl:

All the best,

Len.

You'd have to be there Len :P i remember this first getting plays around 77/78 indeed was very popular but different times, most people then wearing above the shoe 40inch spencer bags white socks and doing a 3 steps one way kick leg out then other way kick leg out and so on ...not quite the h***y k****y but this dance suited De lites Holly st James etc... not a dig just an honest reccollection.

Dont think it was unviversally accepted as a "soul" record then nor now however popular it was on the dance floor .I remember plenty of people hating it . For me? dont mind it but always thought they sounded like a doo wop group on acid lol ...defo a Norman Sole record a Soul record ...hmmmm

Social source share

You'd have to be there Len :P i remember this first getting plays around 77/78 indeed was very popular but different times, most people then wearing above the shoe 40inch spencer bags white socks and doing a 3 steps one way kick leg out then other way kick leg out and so on ...not quite the h***y k****y but this dance suited De lites Holly st James etc... not a dig just an honest reccollection.

Dont think it was unviversally accepted as a "soul" record then nor now however popular it was on the dance floor .I remember plenty of people hating it . For me? dont mind it but always thought they sounded like a doo wop group on acid lol ...defo a Norman Sole record a Soul record ...hmmmm

'Norman Soul' :rofl: - like it (Not in a derogatory manner of course!)

As I said, I do understand this record had / has a place and wouldn't wanna take that away from anyone! :thumbsup:

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!