Do You Remember My T Shirt ? What Was The Year?

Just a bit of fun!

Had to laugh (oh that bad hair and baby face)..just found this photo of me on a Post Office Telephones (yes there's a clue-before it became BT) Training course at Bletchley Park (no I wasn't decoding the enigma machine, not quite that old!...but did see it)

It was on what was known as a Strowger Telephone Exchange Course...the days when phone calls were routed using relays and electromagnets and not Transistors and chips!

T shirt long gone but do you remember the year and where I may have bought it?

post-397-0-51712700-1323120027_thumb.jpg

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest in town Mikey

Hinckley Leisure Centre? 1980/1981ish? I could be wrong, but the gig was cancelled for some reason??

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

My memory is crap, but I'm sure Major Lance did do Hinckley, as I remember a van outside with recording stuff for a "Major Lance - Live At Hinckley" album, though I may be completely wrong!!! Des

You could be right Des. I'm pretty sure I even went.

Someone else must have cancelled?

Social source share

Just a bit of fun!

Had to laugh (oh that bad hair and baby face)..just found this photo of me on a Post Office Telephones (yes there's a clue-before it became BT) Training course at Bletchley Park (no I wasn't decoding the enigma machine, not quite that old!...but did see it)

It was on what was known as a Strowger Telephone Exchange Course...the days when phone calls were routed using relays and electromagnets and not Transistors and chips!

T shirt long gone but do you remember the year and where I may have bought it?

post-397-0-51712700-1323120027_thumb.jpg

did you prefer uniselectors or linefinders ?

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

o.k. how many GPO/BT/Openreach engineers/ex engineers do we have here?

Not an engineer but late 70's I was an auditor. Used to visit the GEC Telecomms sites at Coventry/Hartlepool/Newton Aycliffe/Kirkcaldy/Glenrothes where they manufactured the working bits of Telephone Exchanges.

I remember Strowger and the new technology just coming in that they called System X.

(Sorry to go off-topic. :) )

Social source share

I best put people out of their misery...the picture is from Aug '83 (I was 19) but I saw Major Lance at the Razamatazz (formerly Jollee's caberet club) Alldayer in Stoke in that year (could possibly have been late 82...pretty sure early 83 though ...memory fading).

The Major had done an allnighter before the alldayer...don't think it was Hinckley leisure centre (Maybe Bradford Queens Hall?)

I know for whatever reason I couldn't make the nighter and used to go to Hinckley a lot (rictic revue etc) so i'm thinking it wasn't Hinckley

Anyhow for whatever reason I had to settle on the dayer....remember they were both Chris Burton promotion events a la Major and Torch connection.

The Major did a great performance with his unmistakeable dulsic tones.

Happy days

Social source share

Hinckley Leisure Centre? 1980/1981ish? I could be wrong, but the gig was cancelled for some reason??

Major lance played hinckley in 1982, My photos of the night have long gone sadly but the banner on stage had the date on

Social source share

This is from the Hinckley Soul Club site - and thank fcuk, I thought I had dreamt it!!!

"Major Lance appeared at the Hinckley All-nighter on November 13, 1982. At only a fiver a time, soulies got to see the Major perform many of his top tunes including "Ain't No Soul", "Monkey Time" and the northern classic "You Don't Want Me No More".

Obviously in demand, the Major appeared next day at an alldayer venue called Razamatazz in Longton, Stoke-On-Trent. Is it me, or does that location sound familiar?

Promoted by Chris King, the allnighter was deemed important enough to prompt a new Major Lance "live" album, emulating the famous "Major Lance Live At The Torch" classic, which was released in December 1982"

Des Parker

Social source share

This is from the Hinckley Soul Club site - and thank fcuk, I thought I had dreamt it!!!

"Major Lance appeared at the Hinckley All-nighter on November 13, 1982. At only a fiver a time, soulies got to see the Major perform many of his top tunes including "Ain't No Soul", "Monkey Time" and the northern classic "You Don't Want Me No More".

Obviously in demand, the Major appeared next day at an alldayer venue called Razamatazz in Longton, Stoke-On-Trent. Is it me, or does that location sound familiar?

Promoted by Chris King, the allnighter was deemed important enough to prompt a new Major Lance "live" album, emulating the famous "Major Lance Live At The Torch" classic, which was released in December 1982"

Des Parker

He had a new release out at the time on Cat Family I Just Want To Go Home.lovely tune
Social source share

Des Parker

Bloody hell it was Hinckley then...wonder why i never made the nighter (weird as what at most of them)..long time ago sure I had my reasons!

Probably female reasons!...alldayer was Razamatazz (formerly Jollees)...alldayer nothing to write home about but the Major was fantastic! Privelaged to see him at my tender age of 18 at the time!

jonesy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert