How Many "scene's" Are Cover By The "northern Soul" Tag ?

Rob Wigley

• Replies 83
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest dundeedavie

How many "scene's " within the "Scene" are there ?

ie Northern Oldies, R & B, Crossover, and how many would you attend or which ones would you avoid like the plague or break your neck to get to ? or doesn't it matter ? whistling.gif

i'd really want to go to the r'n'b ....... reluctantly go to the crossover (but like it when i got there ) and avoid the oldies if at all possible

as for genres .... oldies , newies , r'n'b , early soul , motown , crossover , 70's , modern, TENT(for ali)

i say go more genre specific and delve deeper but i'll get shouted down by the across the board , dip your toe in the waters without swimming brigade

Davie

Social source share

ie Northern Oldies, R & B, Crossover, and how many would you attend or which ones would you avoid like the plague or break your neck to get to ? or doesn't it matter ? ohmy.gif

Too bloody many Rob, Northern, Modern, Xover,Oldies, Newies (hate that term) RnB (old & new), Tent music, Modern oldies (always make's me laugh that one) etc, etc.

Think there are too many people on the soul scene who have got nothing better to do than pidgeonhole music just so they can slag it off just because it dose'nt fit into there little window.

At the end of the day it's all SOUL MUSIC so leave it at that.

You playing mind games with us again mate :wub::wub::wub:

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Too bloody many Rob, Northern, Modern, Xover,Oldies, Newies (hate that term) RnB (old & new), Tent music, Modern oldies (always make's me laugh that one) etc, etc.

Think there are too many people on the soul scene who have got nothing better to do than pidgeonhole music just so they can slag it off just because it dose'nt fit into there little window.

At the end of the day it's all SOUL MUSIC so leave it at that.

You playing mind games with us again mate :wub::wub::wub:

:( Took the words out of me Gob ohmy.gif Would also like to add that if it wasnt for the Northern Die hards and the regular dancers that make the scene what it is wink.gif there would only be us old farts standing there watching the turntables spinn getting pissed and moanin about the cold etc Lets Call it the soulscene :(

Social source share

Nobody is ever going to agree. I wouldn't go anywhere that played modern or crossover or 70's/80's whatever because it isn't Northern Soul in my opinion but it obviously is in other people's opinions. Why, I have no idea. I want to hear midtempo and uptempo 60's soul music. End of. And what really does my head in is when people tell me to "open my ears" and stop being a dinosaur...why? I don't expect to hear punk music or country when I go to a northern do so why should I have to listen to stuff that isn't Northern Soul?

Social source share

ohmy.gif no mind games, it's just that it is different horses for different courses. i went to a "Mod/Scooterist " do the other week, someones birthday. Only knew a few people there out of the 400 or so, didn't know the dj s and i heard more blinding originals than come out of many a top D js box. They also mixed in the usual Yardbids, Who and Small Faces and some other stuff, but the "Northern" was spot on !

As most know on here i personally like nearly everything except the early RnB that has been played, just not my cup of tea at all, saying that Roger banks has some great soulful early stuff and unreleased early Motown that would fall in to the RnB band which is great.

just thought it would raise a discussion thats all :wub:

Social source share

ie Northern Oldies, R & B, Crossover, and how many would you attend or which ones would you avoid like the plague or break your neck to get to ? or doesn't it matter ? :wub:

The whole lot should be played in one room & mixed up by the DJ's, the only criteria being that whats played is quality soul music & it gets the dance floor.

Difficult to mix different genres & recording techniques together I know, but it can be done.....................who gives a flying f*ck, if it feels good do it, all the best Northern venues of the past played everything under one roof, the only exception being possibly the 100 club (my favourite Nighter ironically) but evan the 100 Club mixes in Modern & Crossover cuts if theyre right for the night & the floor is up for it.

I appreciate that with the passage of time the amount of Modern Soul available to play becomes greater & the recording techniques harder to mix in with traditional styles, but DJ's can & do do it quite successfully, its about choosing quality danceable soul music.

Now that the cat has been well & truly put amongst the pidgeons, I'll now sit back & see what happens ohmy.gif:wub::wub: .

Russ

Social source share

It would be interesting to see a poll - if you were a straight down the centre Northern Soul fan, which other variety would you most like to hear if you had to pick one - "modern" and all it's offshoots, or "r & b" ditto. 100% hands down choice would be r & b for me.

Pete I think this is what i wanted to say, we are all going out to venues but what sort would they be if we had the choice ?

Russ is also right in the fact that the best nighters mix the music and don't have Two rooms

Social source share

Guest stax'a'soul

It would be interesting to see a poll - if you were a straight down the centre Northern Soul fan, which other variety would you most like to hear if you had to pick one - "modern" and all it's offshoots, or "r & b" ditto. 100% hands down choice would be r & b for me.

FIRST CHOICE FOR ME WILL ALWAYS BE PROPER "60's NORTHERN SOUL" ohmy.gif

SECOND CHOICE WOULD HAVE TO BE R & B......

Social source share

Russ is also right in the fact that the best nighters mix the music and don't have Two rooms

Hmmm, not too sure! i like to hear a good diversity of music, but at the Wilton on friday Carl Fotnum played a absolute blinding spot, full floor all through it then it went into alot of 70's and IMO it seamed to kill the atmosphere and the dance floor ohmy.gif

Social source share

Dont agree that the best niters have one room we ran 2 rooms at sheridans and it was a match for any niter we run 3 rooms at middleton and they are packed will full dance floors from start to finish.The trick is to make sure your rooms stick to the music policy,that way the djs in each room can be adventureous in there own particular genre,you still cant please everyone but at least this way northern fans get northern, r n b fans get r n b,modern get modern and those like me who like a bit of everything get a good walk round ohmy.gif .

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Dont agree that the best niters have one room we ran 2 rooms at sheridans and it was a match for any niter we run 3 rooms at middleton and they are packed will full dance floors from start to finish.The trick is to make sure your rooms stick to the music policy,that way the djs in each room can be adventureous in there own particular genre,you still cant please everyone but at least this way northern fans get northern, r n b fans get r n b,modern get modern and those like me who like a bit of everything get a good walk round ohmy.gif .

my thoughts exactly andy , lets the dj's delve a bit

Davie

Social source share

Hmmm, not too sure! i like to hear a good diversity of music, but at the Wilton on friday Carl Fotnum played a absolute blinding spot, full floor all through it then it went into alot of 70's and IMO it seamed to kill the atmosphere and the dance floor ohmy.gif

I think that that is down to the DJ who followed, not the music played...its about mixing it together properly, not necessarily the genres played.

Also the promoter needs to take some responsibility as they plan the DJ rosta ie who follows who.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

I do tend to agree with you aswell Andy, I'm not saying that all Allnighters should have just one room, only that it has been done & can be done with a little thought, after all what is Northern Soul, ok classic Northern has been pidgeon holed as four to the floor mock motown, but all Northern Soul really is, is a Soul record (?) made popular at a Northern Soul Allnighter/Soul Night.

Russ

Social source share

But he just said it WAS the music that followed...

Pete

What I mean is that there are sixties & seventies records that could follow each other quite nicely with out too much disruption to the floor, if done with a modicom of common sense you could then gradually over a couple or discs move to the kinda seventies or what ever you wanna play, its common sense really.....................not just choosing 20 records & playing them no matter what...............please do not think I am telling any one what they should enjoy with regards to soul music, If you totally dislike a genre, then you are not going to persuade some one to dance or even attend places that play things that they dont enjoy, but a lot of people will enjoy most danceable soul if it is presented in a manner that makes it enjoyable by promoters & DJ'S................for example you are not going to follow the Mellow Souls with Masters at Work, but a sensible DJ could get there over the period of several records that fit together in a set.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

As a punter I much prefer two rooms. Simply because I really don't like the modern stuff except for a smattering of a very select few records and I would not like to be paying money to listen to stuff I really don't like.

It would be like asking a Northern Soul fan to frequent the local night club with the knowledge that just a few northern tracks would be played.

So, if you get a mixed night, you're subjected to at least half an hour at a time if they shuffle the dj's in a blanaced way, of stuff you don't like, I mean really don't like - modern soul lovers would equally be upset at having to listen to a lot of 60's stuff.

As for the arguement that modern is soul, yes of course it is, but we don't have to like it or listen to it ohmy.gif

Social source share

Pete

What I mean is that there are sixties & seventies records that could follow each other quite nicely with out too much disruption to the floor, if done with a modicom of common sense you could then gradually over a couple or discs move to the kinda seventies or what ever you wanna play, its common sense really.....................not just choosing 20 records & playing them no matter what...............please do not think I am telling any one what they should enjoy with regards to soul music, If you totally dislike a genre, then you are not going to persuade some one to dance or even attend places that play things that they dont enjoy, but a lot of people will enjoy most danceable soul if it is presented in a manner that makes it enjoyable by promoters & DJ'S................for example you are not going to follow the Mellow Souls with Masters at Work, but a sensible DJ could get there over the period of several records that fit together in a set.

Russ

I'm reading this post back & thinking my god this bloke almost sounds like he knows what he's on about, hopefully people who have heard me DJ wont let themcat out of the bag ohmy.gif:wub::wub: .

Russ

Social source share

As a punter I much prefer two rooms. Simply because I really don't like the modern stuff except for a smattering of a very select few records and I would not like to be paying money to listen to stuff I really don't like.

It would be like asking a Northern Soul fan to frequent the local night club with the knowledge that just a few northern tracks would be played.

So, if you get a mixed night, you're subjected to at least half an hour at a time if they shuffle the dj's in a blanaced way, of stuff you don't like, I mean really don't like - modern soul lovers would equally be upset at having to listen to a lot of 60's stuff.

As for the arguement that modern is soul, yes of course it is, but we don't have to like it or listen to it :D

When I promoted The Abshott Soul Nights there was one memorable occasion at the bar, when I had some prat one side winging there was too much Modern & another in the other ear saying there was too much Northern, from this I ascertained that I had got the mix just right :D .

Karen, your right of course, if you dont like Modern dont attend a Modern night, but there are those people open minded enough to enjoy all genres & before any one kicks off, no the people who enjoy all genres of soul are not better than the ones who dont or vise versa, I thught I had made my self quite clear on the issue of not trying to make people enjoy something they dont. Mind you Karen I have seen you dancing your gorgeous ass off to many a Modern toon over the years :D . Or doesnt it count if said Modern record has now been played successfully in Northern rooms.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

I could probably count on one hand the number of modern tracks I danced to Russ LOL. It must have been on more than one occasion!

I am open minded... I just don't like disco LOL. That's not entirely true.. I just don't like dancing to it... oh, I don't know what I mean :D I'm certainly not closed minded - anyone who knows me knows I'm open to anything :D

Social source share

Pete

Russ

Absolutely spot on Russ, a pet hate of mine is just throwing a spot together with no thought put into the matter :D

Social source share

I could probably count on one hand the number of modern tracks I danced to Russ LOL. It must have been on more than one occasion!

I am open minded... I just don't like disco LOL. That's not entirely true.. I just don't like dancing to it... oh, I don't know what I mean :D I'm certainly not closed minded - anyone who knows me knows I'm open to anything :D

Yes, deffo on more than one occsion.

Russ

Social source share

What is boogaloo :D .

Russ

Russ Vickers... I'll put you over my knee young man :D

Ray Bataaaaaaaaan.... he's the man :D

(there's a boogaloo folder on my site if you were serious)

Edited by Soulgirl
Social source share

I don't think it has anything to do with being open minded. I love all sort of music with a bit go in it, thats why I like punk, ska, Iggy Pop whatever, but modern soul leaves me absolutely cold and there is nothing about it I like at all. You lot would probably think I'm absolutely mental if I say that the most inspiring form of music of the last 15 years has been the original UK Jungle scene, but I put that on a par with punk music as far as energy goes, some of those tracks like Valley Of The Shadows are up amongst my favourite tracks of any type, ever. But I'd still rather cut my nuts off with a rusty knife than have to listen to one single modern record at a northern soul event.

Social source share

Thats just knocking nails into coffins

Im sure you know what I mean Pete, there are definitely people out there who will argue untill they are blue in the face that they are sixties only & then theyre up to Ace Spectrum or some old Wigan or Mecca 'exceptable' seventies track. Dance to what moves ya, I dont care, but folk who give an argument about not enjoying a genre then in the next breath are showing appreciation of said genre by dancing are wrong.

Russ

Social source share

I don't think it has anything to do with being open minded. I love all sort of music with a bit go in it, thats why I like punk, ska, Iggy Pop whatever, but modern soul leaves me absolutely cold and there is nothing about it I like at all. You lot would probably think I'm absolutely mental if I say that the most inspiring form of music of the last 15 years has been the original UK Jungle scene, but I put that on a par with punk music as far as energy goes, some of those tracks like Valley Of The Shadows are up amongst my favourite tracks of any type, ever. But I'd still rather cut my nuts off with a rusty knife than have to listen to one single modern record at a northern soul event.

I respect you opinion Pete, but surely virtually every venue since 1969 has played a Modern record, put into the context that a Modern record is about recording techniques, ie sixties as opposed to seventies.

I really am not critising any one, if you dont like a record or particular genre, fine, but I cant think of any Northern Soul event since 1969 that hasnt played a seventies record at some point.

Russ

Social source share

Russ, you're not planning a massive Modern comeback are you when you return to the UK... have you been buying up all the rare modern tracks whilst on your travells? karen_bridges_anime07.gif

Social source share

I respect you opinion Pete, but surely virtually every venue since 1969 has played a Modern record, put into the context that a Modern record is about recording techniques, ie sixties as opposed to seventies.

I really am not critising any one, if you dont like a record or particular genre, fine, but I cant think of any Northern Soul event since 1969 that hasnt played a seventies record at some point.

Russ

Russ at the risk of sounding contradictory, those records played in the 70's were northern soul - a lot of those tracks were as acceptable as the 60's records, I'm thinking Lou Edwards, Life, Norma Jenkins, Gentlemen & lady etc, it's what came after that that I have the problem with as it goes too far away from that primitive 4/4 beat which must set something primitive off in my brain :D

Social source share

Russ at the risk of sounding contradictory, those records played in the 70's were northern soul - a lot of those tracks were as acceptable as the 60's records, I'm thinking Lou Edwards, Life, Norma Jenkins, Gentlemen & lady etc, it's what came after that that I have the problem with as it goes too far away from that primitive 4/4 beat which must set something primitive off in my brain :D

I know what you mean mate I was just being contrary to be honest, I enjoy lots of different kinds of soul music, Northern being my main attraction & the thing that got me into soul inthe first place, but I love most soulful dance, dont get func BTW.

gOT TO GO xmAS shopping :D:yes::D byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, back late for more banter :D .

Russ

Social source share

I know what you mean mate I was just being contrary to be honest, I enjoy lots of different kinds of soul music, Northern being my main attraction & the thing that got me into soul inthe first place, but I love most soulful dance, dont get func BTW.

gOT TO GO xmAS shopping :D:D:D byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, back late for more banter :yes: .

Russ

Xmas shopping at 6 on a sunday, blimey where do you live? New York? Bloomin' chip shop isn't even open round here!

Social source share

Guest Soulfood33

Nobody is ever going to agree. I wouldn't go anywhere that played modern or crossover or 70's/80's whatever because it isn't Northern Soul in my opinion but it obviously is in other people's opinions. Why, I have no idea. I want to hear midtempo and uptempo 60's soul music. End of. And what really does my head in is when people tell me to "open my ears" and stop being a dinosaur...why? I don't expect to hear punk music or country when I go to a northern do so why should I have to listen to stuff that isn't Northern Soul?

FYI since day one "Rare Soul" scene has played "New Releases" and if you'd been anything but an embryo as the scene was moulded you'd know that. Every Northern Soul Dj at one time or another has played as new or recent release Noprthern Soul has never ever been 60s Crusaders "Purt It were You Want It" was a big tune when I first went to soul clubs played adter Jimmy McCracklin 's The Walk. I'm astounded you enjoy embarrassing yourself, especially as you RAVED over the Four Vandals and Venica Wilson..Jesus if everyone thought like you we'd have never have evolved..It's just soul music we're into no matter what era or name you pidgeon hole it with.

Social source share

FYI since day one "Rare Soul" scene has played "New Releases" and if you'd been anything but an embryo as the scene was moulded you'd know that. Every Northern Soul Dj at one time or another has played as new or recent release Noprthern Soul has never ever been 60s Crusaders "Purt It were You Want It" was a big tune when I first went to soul clubs played adter Jimmy McCracklin 's The Walk. I'm astounded you enjoy embarrassing yourself, especially as you RAVED over the Four Vandals and Venica Wilson..Jesus if everyone thought like you we'd have never have evolved..It's just soul music we're into no matter what era or name you pidgeon hole it with.

So whats with the personal attacks then, was there any need for that? And hiding behind a false name as usual. FYI you're argument is f*cked because the soul scene began in the 60's therefore the new releases were in fact, er, 60's releases. As I said above, the early 70's sounds were still a throwback to the 60's and it was music from the disco era that I dislike.

I have never claimed to like the Four Vandals so get your facts right. The Venicia Wilson record is brilliant and it's only the Levine connection that stops it being hailed a classic.

Oh and if you were going to somewhere were they played Put it where you want it AND The Walk..I don't believe you ever left your house.

Social source share

ie Northern Oldies, R & B, Crossover, and how many would you attend or which ones would you avoid like the plague or break your neck to get to ? or doesn't it matter ? :D

Just wish there was a "Soul Sam Scene" about time there was Soul Sam nighter, no one else but Soul Sam all night long IMO, BRILLIANT before he retires :D

Social source share

Hey... I embarrass myself - actually others - on a minute by minute basis... that means collectively, I couldn't give a flying tuppeny bit what anyone thinks about what I like :D

Social source share

Pete

Russ

The thing is Russ, not many DJs can actually play 'across the board' successfully, and by that I mean getting the right records in the right order irregardless of genre or when it was recorded. I'll make you blush now, and say that you are one of the few who I rate at doing this, but I've gone into print saying that before anyway. The problem comes when the DJ plays tracks that don't 'fit' together, and the set is just disjointed and a bit of a mess.

What does make me smile though is when a venue has two rooms, Northern & Modern, and then book a DJ for the Northern room who then proceeds to play Modern, and I'm told that I have to accept this. Can you imagine the outcry in the Modern room if a Sixties only DJ did an hour in there :D

Social source share

No matter how many 'scenes' are huddled together under the northern soul brolly...It's long term friendships that bind them together

I see a northern soul night/allnighter, as a purely social event...Pretty much every venue I've ever been to, has had some point during the night where the music wasn't my cup of tea...I'm not a dancer, so as long as I have friends around..we chat, have a laugh and let the music linger into the background...after all, who am I, to expect to go out, and have things all my own way.

I do try if possible, to attend multi room venues.(Crewe/Middleton etc.) They're far more user friendly.IMO. During my time on the scene, I have made many friends. Some stayed true to their northern roots, Happy to dance their hearts out each weekend to the music of their youth, Others strode boldly forward embracing the sounds of the 70's, 80's and beyond, My choice was to take a step back, delving into the music of the late 50's and early 60's thus forging my passion for R&B, Beat Ballads & Popcorn. Despite our musical differences We have all remained friends, and have a mutual respect for each others musical tastes. So meeting up at this type of venue, gives us the chance to have a good old chinwag in the foyer...before heading off to our chosen rooms.

Anyway If I want to hear more of the goodies that I crave, than the scene can offer ....I just bugger off up the M6 once a month for my self indulgent R&B fix at the 'Hideaway' or Hire out the back room of a pub and Hit the decks with some likeminded friends.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!