The First Steps Of My Record Box

Guest conrad h

Guest Ste Brazil

It'll all end in tears...you start off with reissues, then the odd cheap original and before you know it you have become totally addicted and obsessed with finding your next want,it's only a matter of time...:)

Social source share

who did the big up north disc? looks like an out and out boot to me?

The Kent catalogue is well worth a look if you want reissues, also the Grapevine stuff. Steve Plumb has plenty of it, Roger Banks as well, Pete Smith might help you out too.

If you do really get the bug then some of the stuff like the big up north disc might prove difficult to move on if you wan to progress from boots and re-issues to originals.

Welcome to the world of record collecting and an empty wallet.

Social source share

yes it could be wise spening 6 months or a year learning before spending you could end up with a box of stuff that is never going to give you a return.

I guess all collectors learn the hard way when starting out but its quite late in the day now to be spending money on boots.

Social source share

Guest conrad h

you find a record you've got on your wants list,buy it,play it,put it in the box..and start the process all over again!

The only downside is that my wants list is growing by the day.....LOL

Social source share

Guest conrad h

yes it could be wise spening 6 months or a year learning before spending you could end up with a box of stuff that is never going to give you a return.

I guess all collectors learn the hard way when starting out but its quite late in the day now to be spending money on boots.

Sorry if its a stupid question what are boots???

Social source share

Guest conrad h

Collecting is a great buzz! especially if the wife dosent find out,ya soon get to know the postmans first name though,pockets always seem to be empty just when you've bought something, you see summat else ya NEED!

yep...best not tell the wife..LOL

Social source share

Illegally pressed reproductions!

Some advice - Dont spend your hard earned cash on bootlegs like the Kelly Garrett. You can get them on CD.

Buy as said by others Cheap originals as it really gives you abuzz that the record you are playing was pressed at the time that the song was released and all the visions of the singer or group in the studio making it adds that little bit of spice to the sound coming out of the grooves.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest conrad h

Illegally pressed reproductions!

Some advice - Dont spend your hard earned cash on bootlegs like the Kelly Garrett. You can get them on CD.

Buy as said by others Cheap originals as it really gives you abuzz that the record you are playing was pressed at the time that the song was released and all the visions of the singer or group in the studio making it adds that little bit of spice to the sound coming out of the grooves.

so how do I know if its a boot??

Social source share

Boots are unofficial illegal copies of records. Some are deliberatly meant to decieve by being very similar to the legitimate original release and some are on very different labels and don't deceive.

Social source share

a wise investment may be john manships latest price guide and his latest bootleg guide. At raresoulman.co.uk

thet are well worth buying.

when you get realy good at this game you will even know which are priced wrong in the guide and the prices for records that aren't even in the guide. :D

Social source share

but dont be put off!...thats the best bit,you will always be learning ...you will always be wanting another tune...nobody knows/has everything...great!

basically anything other than originals , when you come to sell...normally to buy bigger tunes...will be only worth what you paid..if youre lucky!...unless two twats get on a bidding war on ebay!...buy originals at the right price...especially not so well known tunes and you could make a profit...

but like most ...first get all those big tunes you want that you will probably never afford on original...best on reissue on labels like grapevine and kent...

most of all enjoy!!!

dean

Social source share

a wise investment may be john manships latest price guide and his latest bootleg guide. At raresoulman.co.uk

thet are well worth buying.

when you get realy good at this game you will even know which are priced wrong in the guide and the prices for records that aren't even in the guide. :D

His latest bootleg guide is in the latest price guide...

Social source share

most of all enjoy!!!

That is the best advice you can get. Enjoy yourself.

Buy what you like, on whatever label you like, don't take any notice of anyone else telling you you can't buy something because of the label it's on, especially on this forum, it is not a crime to own a non original record.

Get on peoples mailing lists for originals - several people on here do a weekly originals list, me, Keith Williams for a start. Use Popsike web site to get a good idea of the prices things sell for.

Social source share

Guest conrad h

but dont be put off!...thats the best bit,you will always be learning ...you will always be wanting another tune...nobody knows/has everything...great!

basically anything other than originals , when you come to sell...normally to buy bigger tunes...will be only worth what you paid..if youre lucky!...unless two twats get on a bidding war on ebay!...buy originals at the right price...especially not so well known tunes and you could make a profit...

but like most ...first get all those big tunes you want that you will probably never afford on original...best on reissue on labels like grapevine and kent...

most of all enjoy!!!

dean

My head is spinng!!!!!

Thats what I intend to do, Get the top tunes that I cant afford on original on re issue, then buy some cheap originals and go from there, my budget is very small so i will be limited to what originals i buy

How would i check an original is what it says it is?, and also how do i know a re issue is just that?

are re issues lilely to be worth anything in the future? is a re issue just done on the same label a few years later

sorry for all the questions

cheers

Con

Social source share

My head is spinng!!!!!

Thats what I intend to do, Get the top tunes that I cant afford on original on re issue, then buy some cheap originals and go from there, my budget is very small so i will be limited to what originals i buy

How would i check an original is what it says it is?, and also how do i know a re issue is just that?

are re issues lilely to be worth anything in the future? is a re issue just done on the same label a few years later

sorry for all the questions

cheers

Con

Reissues were once considered worthless copies but now some of them are quite rare, though not as rare as people make out! Things like the first reissues of Eddie Parker - I"m gone, Del Larks on the proper design, Rufus Wood etc, all have fetched over £50.

You've got 2 different types to contend with:

1) counterfeit - an attempt to copy an original identically and pass it off as original. Extremely bad practice and always frowned upon.

2) pressing, bootleg, 2nd issue - a legal or illegal press of a big sound which can easily be identified as a non-original

Social source share

Guest conrad h

Reissues were once considered worthless copies but now some of them are quite rare, though not as rare as people make out! Things like the first reissues of Eddie Parker - I"m gone, Del Larks on the proper design, Rufus Wood etc, all have fetched over £50.

You've got 2 different types to contend with:

1) counterfeit - an attempt to copy an original identically and pass it off as original. Extremely bad practice and always frowned upon.

2) pressing, bootleg, 2nd issue - a legal or illegal press of a big sound which can easily be identified as a non-original

So if in doubt...ask on here I think is the best way, I think the price guide is the way to go to give me some idea.

cheers

on

Social source share

Con , here's a great example of a classic Northern record that will set you back a tenner on original label,

in fact somebody has one in sales now (and no it's not me)

SPYDER TURNER - I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE - MGM

another one worth getting is THE DELLS - MAKE SURE another classic for a tenner imho

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

If in doubt ask Conrad, in fact I'd ask anyway. The Edward Hamilton you bought, you would probably have been advised to get the UK Grapevine re-issue, not too expensive and more desirable than the Outta Sight release, more chance of moving on too at at more or less what you bought it for if you ever get the original.

You do seem to have already got the impression though that a box of originals will cost you a fortune, truth is far from it, check out the top three cheap records link I posted, make a note of some then go through youtube, you will be surprised at the quality. As said also go for your Kent, grapevine re-issues first. But most importantly as said, do what you want, as long as you are happy then that is all that matters.

Another option is LP's, Garland green's LP will set you back about £20 but has all his big Northern spins plus more goodies besides. Same with other LPs, you get more for your money.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest conrad h

If in doubt ask Conrad, in fact I'd ask anyway. The Edward Hamilton you bought, you would probably have been advised to get the UK Grapevine re-issue, not too expensive and more desirable than the Outta Sight release, more chance of moving on too at at more or less what you bought it for if you ever get the original.

You do seem to have already got the impression though that a box of originals will cost you a fortune, truth is far from it, check out the top three cheap records link I posted, make a note of some then go through youtube, you will be surprised at the quality. As said also go for your Kent, grapevine re-issues first. But most importantly as said, do what you want, as long as you are happy then that is all that matters.

Another option is LP's, Garland green's LP will set you back about £20 but has all his big Northern spins plus more goodies besides. Same with other LPs, you get more for your money.

Thanks Chalky

So I assume the Kent and Grapevine are more collectable re issues???

I'm waiting on my copy of Manships Rare Soul Price Guide Edition 5, so I hope this will give me some idea of the best re issues to buy if I cant afford the originals.

Cheers

Con

Social source share

Thanks Chalky

So I assume the Kent and Grapevine are more collectable re issues???

I'm waiting on my copy of Manships Rare Soul Price Guide Edition 5, so I hope this will give me some idea of the best re issues to buy if I cant afford the originals.

Cheers

Con

I certainly wouldn't buy one of these Big Up North discs and yes I would say Kent and Grapevine more desirable, especially for something like the Edward Hamilton (and others on the label) as it was the first legit UK release. Other labels such as Hit and Run for discs like the Tommy And The Derbys as well.

If you have a list of records you wish to own maybe post a list and you will get the advice that is probably best when buying re-issues etc. Bootlegs and re-issues are a minefield better to be sure you are getting the best for your money rather than dive in.

I don't think Price Guide 5 has labels like Kent and Grapevine as the are UK labels whereas the Guide is for US labels.

Social source share

Guest conrad h

I certainly wouldn't buy one of these Big Up North discs and yes I would say Kent and Grapevine more desirable, especially for something like the Edward Hamilton (and others on the label) as it was the first legit UK release. Other labels such as Hit and Run for discs like the Tommy And The Derbys as well.

If you have a list of records you wish to own maybe post a list and you will get the advice that is probably best when buying re-issues etc. Bootlegs and re-issues are a minefield better to be sure you are getting the best for your money rather than dive in.

I don't think Price Guide 5 has labels like Kent and Grapevine as the are UK labels whereas the Guide is for US labels.

Thanks for the advice.I think I will go through my wants list and post a top 5 of most wanted and see what happens

Cheers

Con

Social source share

a lot of people say this on here (you don't have to spend a lot to get a box of quality originals to DJ with) and it is true, but you have to have a lot of knowledge (e.g. from collecting for a while) to be able to pick out obscure underpriced records. If someone is just starting they will only know the big records. So it's not that easy / reasonable for people starting off to do this.

Social source share

a lot of people say this on here (you don't have to spend a lot to get a box of quality originals to DJ with) and it is true, but you have to have a lot of knowledge (e.g. from collecting for a while) to be able to pick out obscure underpriced records. If someone is just starting they will only know the big records. So it's not that easy / reasonable for people starting off to do this.

I agree Bob that is why I suggest Conrad looks at the following topic.......

some excellent suggestions on the topic that will get him on his way to a decent collection of originals.

Social source share

Guest conrad h

Okay, I was a bit hasty with the first three records, so I think I will put them down as a beginners mistake, I have been having a good look at John Manships website and have found plenty of originals for my price range. :thumbsup:

So now my wants list grows everytime i'm on there...oh dear better not mention that to the wife :shhh:

But I'm finding some great tunes for great prices.....but you guys already know that :D

thanks for the advice Chalky found some great tunes on that post

cheers

Con

Social source share

:thumbsup:
Social source share

I disagree to some extent, experience is helpful but not totally necessary, patience and the time to search topics like the one I highlighted (the top 3 cheap as chips) and to go and seek them out and listen is one of the biggest factors you need when record buying. There are plenty of recommendations out there for novices to seek out without needing the experience. Only whilst looking, listening (to both the records and other collectors) and reading do you get the experience.

Social source share

I agree Bob

I disagree to some extent

so which one is it? :)

actually I think a pretty good resource to learn about soul 45s is youtube. There is so much music there and a lot of it is not 3 and 4 figure records. Also, you could listen to other people's mixes. It still takes time and effort though, it's not like one day someone can decide to be a DJ with little money and end up with a box of good records. But someone who has a lot of money can, unfortunately.

Social source share

I have thought about this Bob and years ago knowledge and experience was essential, you had to know what was what or you got ripped off, still the case today to a certain extent but you now have guides, forums like this, boot guides etc that you can get an immediate answer. Topics like the top three cheap as chips most of the info is there for you just need the patience to seek the sound file out, refosoul, youtube etc and away you go. I agree if you are spending big money on big ticket items then you need to be 100% so you need to know what is what. But at the end of the day nothing beats listening, looking, reading and tab hanging when in the record bar.

Social source share

I have thought about this Bob and years ago knowledge and experience was essential, you had to know what was what or you got ripped off, still the case today to a certain extent but you now have guides, forums like this, boot guides etc that you can get an immediate answer. Topics like the top three cheap as chips most of the info is there for you just need the patience to seek the sound file out, refosoul, youtube etc and away you go. I agree if you are spending big money on big ticket items then you need to be 100% so you need to know what is what. But at the end of the day nothing beats listening, looking, reading and tab hanging when in the record bar.

I agree with this (and I suggested youtube above). But I think someone who wants to be a DJ probably doesn't realize the vast realm of records (they probably got into it hearing the same set of northern oldies). They don't even know that they don't know that much. You see people with no money saving up to buy big records, rather than researching and buying more affordable ones.

Social source share

I agree with this (and I suggested youtube above). But I think someone who wants to be a DJ probably doesn't realize the vast realm of records (they probably got into it hearing the same set of northern oldies). They don't even know that they don't know that much. You see people with no money saving up to buy big records, rather than researching and buying more affordable ones.

Don't think this is about DJing though is it, just collecting??? Or have I misread it somewhere? You see people with plenty of money simply buying big records without researching. You see many simply let others do the work, cheap or expensive then buy the same at first opportunity.

Social source share

I agree Bob that is why I suggest Conrad looks at the following topic.......

some excellent suggestions on the topic that will get him on his way to a decent collection of originals.

A great piece of advice, I can't afford the huge prices of the really rare tunes anymore, and have to limit my spending, but there's loads of stuff available at reasonable prices that is on original labels, and as good as a lot of the stuff you hear played out! I bought records on and off for 35 years, but have still managed to pick up a couple of absolute belters for under a tenner just recently, all because of the cheap as chips thread (and the record of the day from your collection thread too)

Buy what YOU like, and don't be pressured into buying stuff just because some people tell you you should have it!

Good luck!

Edited by MrC
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!