Millage Records

Tony Smith

• 1 year later...

A bit of an explanation regarding the Millage Records / Sirlin & Leonard Funeral Home situation ...........

..... with the passage of time / people involved passing away, I don't suppose we will ever get the full story ..........

Lots of the Millage 45's that exist today have stickers on them that state either compliments of William Sirlin Mortuary or Sirlin & Leonard Funerals (both sharing the 620 East Ohio St, Pittsburgh address). It seems that many Pittsburgh funeral services staged between 1930 and 1973 were held or commenced at the William Sirlin Funeral Home on 620 East Ohio Street (before 1930, the firm operated out of a different Pittsburgh address).

William Sirlin and Richard Leonard owned the William Sirlin Mortuary, Sirlin & Leonard Funeral Home and Duncan Heights Cemetery (all of which were located at 620 East Ohio Street). By the end of the 1960's / early 1970's the Sirlin & Leonard funeral business was in trouble. William Sirlin had been struck off for a period for 'abducting' a body from the county morgue. Sirlin was a good age by then and actually passed away in 1973. Richard Leonard then seemed to lose interest in the business, though in his will Sirlin left it to Leonard and his old secretary, Evelyn Schilling. Leonard & the Schillings allowed the cemetery to fall into disrepair, much to the distress of the families of folk buried there.

When the first Millage Records 45 had been released in summer 1967, although the label on Kazia's single had claimed the label was Detroit based, requests for promo copies of the record were directed to the 620 East Ohio Street, Pittsburgh address. It seems that whatever the link was between William Sirlin, Richard Leonard, Odell Bailey or Lou Guarino will remain a bit of a mystery but the record company seemed to be operating out of the funeral home at that time. All of the Millage artists were based in Pittsburgh and their tracks cut there (at Gateway Studios). Odell Bailey had been born in Pittsburgh and had grown up there and owned a local record shop. He did however relocate to Detroit at some time. Al Dowe (who arranged the Kazia cuts) was a Pittsburgh trombone player who went on to run jazz quintets and own jazz clubs in the city.

Before Odell Bailey (and Lou Guarino) were involved with Millage Records, they had worked with the Contrails (a five strong local white group). Odell Bailey didn't think that the Contrails first record release in 1966 would be given a fair shake by Pittsburgh radio DJ's if they thought their tracks were locally cut. So he put the 45 out on the Reuben label with an LA address. The ploy worked and the tracks got enough local airplay to get New York based Diamond Records interested. They licensed the 45 and put it out in November 66 (Diamond #213). 

An associated label to Millage was Del-La / Della. The label seems to have put out three releases, the first one sharing the same catalogue number as the initial Millage 45 (# 101). The 45 was credited as being a Telldell Production and featured Grant St. Exit performing “I Got Soul” c/w “That's Why I Love You”. This must have come out around the same time as the Millage releases, most Millage 45 tracks were noted as being Telldell Productions and were published by Odell Bailey's Telldell Music. Another probable link to the funeral business turns up here. The writer and lead singer on the Grant St Exit song “Thats Why I Love You” was one Wayne Schilling. No doubt, he was the son, or a close relative, of Evelyn & Robert Schilling. The other two outings on this Della Record label were from C.V.Horne. Millage Records just seemed to fade away sometime in early 1968.

So my guess is that Odell Bailey had been friends with William Sirlin back in Pittsburgh and so made use of his premises to promote the Millage releases (perhaps he had sold his Pittsburgh based record shop by 1967 and so had no local base himself).

With them having put out a 45 on the Reuben label some months earlier that claimed the record was released by a LA based label, perhaps Odell used a similar ploy when he put out the 1st Millage release (Kazia's 45).  

With a Detroit address, the 45 was likely to garner more radio plays in Pittsburgh and the surrounding area (as Detroit was the hot recording base back then).

THANKS to Boba for the info on the two Della C. V. Horne 45's. 

post-22122-0-56357800-1367840045_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

A bit of an explanation regarding the Millage Records / Sirlin & Leonard Funeral Home situation ...........

..... with the passage of time / people involved passing away, I don't suppose we will ever get the full story ..........

Lots of the Millage 45's that exist today have stickers on them that state either compliments of William Sirlin Mortuary or Sirlin & Leonard Funerals (both sharing the 620 East Ohio St, Pittsburgh address). It seems that many Pittsburgh funeral services staged between 1930 and 1973 were held or commenced at the William Sirlin Funeral Home on 620 East Ohio Street (before 1930, the firm operated out of a different Pittsburgh address).

William Sirlin and Richard Leonard owned the William Sirlin Mortuary, Sirlin & Leonard Funeral Home and Duncan Heights Cemetery (all of which were located at 620 East Ohio Street). By the end of the 1960's / early 1970's the Sirlin & Leonard funeral business was in trouble. William Sirlin had been struck off for a period for 'abducting' a body from the county morgue. Sirlin was a good age by then and actually passed away in 1973. Richard Leonard then seemed to lose interest in the business, though in his will Sirlin left it to Leonard and his old secretary, Evelyn Schilling. Leonard & the Schillings allowed the cemetery to fall into disrepair, much to the distress of the families of folk buried there.

When the first Millage Records 45 had been released in summer 1967, although the label on Kazia's single had claimed the label was Detroit based, requests for promo copies of the record were directed to the 620 East Ohio Street, Pittsburgh address. It seems that whatever the link was between William Sirlin, Richard Leonard, Odell Bailey or Lou Guarino will remain a bit of a mystery but the record company seemed to be operating out of the funeral home at that time. All of the Millage artists were based in Pittsburgh and their tracks cut there (at Gateway Studios). Odell Bailey had been born in Pittsburgh and had grown up there and owned a local record shop. He did however relocate to Detroit at some time. Al Dowe (who arranged the Kazia cuts) was a Pittsburgh trombone player who went on to run jazz quintets and own jazz clubs in the city.

Before Odell Bailey (and Lou Guarino) were involved with Millage Records, they had worked with the Contrails (a five strong local white group). Odell Bailey didn't think that the Contrails first record release in 1966 would be given a fair shake by Pittsburgh radio DJ's if they thought their tracks were locally cut. So he put the 45 out on the Reuben label with an LA address. The ploy worked and the tracks got enough local airplay to get New York based Diamond Records interested. They licensed the 45 and put it out in November 66 (Diamond #213). 

An associated label to Millage was Del-La / Della. The label seems to have put out three releases, the first one sharing the same catalogue number as the initial Millage 45 (# 101). The 45 was credited as being a Telldell Production and featured Grant St. Exit performing “I Got Soul” c/w “That's Why I Love You”. This must have come out around the same time as the Millage releases, most Millage 45 tracks were noted as being Telldell Productions and were published by Odell Bailey's Telldell Music. Another probable link to the funeral business turns up here. The writer and lead singer on the Grant St Exit song “Thats Why I Love You” was one Wayne Schilling. No doubt, he was the son, or a close relative, of Evelyn & Robert Schilling. The other two outings on this Della Record label were from C.V.Horne. Millage Records just seemed to fade away sometime in early 1968.

So my guess is that Odell Bailey had been friends with William Sirlin back in Pittsburgh and so made use of his premises to promote the Millage releases (perhaps he had sold his Pittsburgh based record shop by 1967 and so had no local base himself).

With them having put out a 45 on the Reuben label some months earlier that claimed the record was released by a LA based label, perhaps Odell used a similar ploy when he put out the 1st Millage release (Kazia's 45).  

With a Detroit address, the 45 was likely to garner more radio plays in Pittsburgh and the surrounding area (as Detroit was the hot recording base back then).

THANKS to Boba for the info on the two Della C. V. Horne 45's. 

Fantastic work mate, this is what it's all about, sharing information after doing amazing detective work.  I always feel humbled by the likes of yourself, Andy Rix etc who somehow manage to collate all of this knowledge and share it with us.  Just think what we wouldn't know if it weren't for guys like these.  I'd like to thank you all for educating us.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Great stuff - some real insight there - thank you  :thumbsup:

Have always thought that the Detroit connections for MIllage were tentative - have never collected the label because of that - although I did have the Four Reputations at one time.

Doesn't Telldell appear on other Detroit releases on other labels though? - can't think of any example off the top of my head though.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Great stuff - some real insight there - thank you  :thumbsup:

Doesn't Telldell appear on other Detroit releases on other labels though? - can't think of any example off the top of my head though.

Cheers    Richard

I'm sure Odell Bailey was involved with some Detroit recordings / labels .... BUT.... I think they dated from around 1970 and later.

Does anyone know when he moved to Detroit ..... around 1967 I would guess....

.... though he still seemed to cultivate his Pittsburgh contacts up until 1968 at least.

I have already sought Boba's input on the other 2 (later) Del-La / Della Records releases. These don't seem to have any Pittsburgh / Millage connections apart from the Telldell Productions credit.

The artist on the 2 'later' Della releases  was C. V. Horne  ...... anyone know where he was from (Detroit perhaps) .... or when they date from (1970's maybe) ....

C V Horne had a 3rd single out in 1984 and that was produced by a Buffalo based outfit.

Social source share

mine had the labels reversed,i dont know if its the case with all copys,and as you can here it is far superior to the presentations later mix

Think all I've seen are reversed.  When Goldmine put the slower side on a CD they used the Call On me title :)  

If you slow the Presentations down to -2 it is practically the same, just a bit of backing and horns the difference if memory serves me correctly.  The Millage one though would be in my top 50, great record.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Pete S, I'm sure you can help here .............

Lou Guarino made a start in the record business in 1959. At that time, he was working for Calico Records who were based out of Pittsburgh. The label went big that year with the Skyliners (led by Jimmy Beaumont) “Since I Don't Have You”. He was soon working for sister label Robbie Records and then with Marcy Joe (Marcy Jo) who enjoyed a national hit in May 1961 with “Ronnie”. He worked on another session with Marcy Jo and her new 45 brought Harry Balk into the picture as he helped organise her cuts being licensed for release on Jubilee Records. Guarino and his partner Lenny Martin then cut Little Maxine Simmons (“Since I Lost You”) for Odell Bailey's Varbee label in 1961. Another act Lou cut that year for Robbee was doo-wop outfit the La-Rells. Still with Lou in charge, more La-Rells cuts escaped on World Records  and Robbee (Liberty picking it up for national release). In 1963, Guarino was working on more cuts that escaped on the World Records label (the label name would soon become World Artist), this time on tracks by Lou Christie. 1963 would also see Guarino visit the UK for the first time. He was talent scouting and signed up British duo, Chad & Jeremy. Also that year, Lou signed the Stereos and he sent them up to New York to cut "Good News" and "Mumbling Word" (released on a World Artists 45 in October 1963). The group would go on to cut for Hyde tracks (Ohio) and these tracks were picked up by Chess Records ("Stereo Freeze" --1967) and "I Feel Soul A Coming" --1968). Back in Pittsburgh, World Artists added a new label in 1964, American Arts and the likes of Bobbie Smith and the Detroit based Volumes were signed to the label (via Harry Balk). 

By 1965, World Artists were getting action with releases by the likes of Reparata & the Delrons, the Shevells and Lee Garrett (plus UK outfit, Chad & Jeremy). Mickey Denton also had a 45 (“One More Time”) out on World Artists in February 65.The label was living up to its name and people from the label (Lou G included) were visiting the UK and signing up British acts in the hope of landing more success off the back of the 'British invasion'. A UK act who got to enjoy a World Artist 45 release was Steve Marriott's 1st group, the Moments (the single never gained UK release). Another singer who it seems had involvement was the label was a young Phyllis Hyman, though what she actually did with them seems to be lost in the sands of time. 

Pete, what can you tell us about that release from Steve Marriott's The Moments group ??

Why did the cuts never escape in the UK after the Small Faces hit big ?

Social source share

I have already sought Boba's input on the other 2 (later) Del-La / Della Records releases. These don't seem to have any Pittsburgh / Millage connections apart from the Telldell Productions credit.

One connection is that The Grant Street Exit 45 came out on both Del-La and Millage.

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-0-65653500-1367847578_thumb.j

post-12286-0-35384000-1367847582_thumb.j

Social source share

So there were two Millage # 101records (the Kazia & Tawney Vonne releases) .... PLUS ... a Millage # D101 & a Del-La # D101 (the Grant St Exit releases) ......   Guess Odell Bailey really liked the number 101.

But I knew the Grant St Exit release had Millage connections .... it was the 2 Della releases by C V Horne that I was seeking any linkage to Millage for. 

post-22122-0-98231600-1367856610_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Telldell Music is registered with BMI .........

the details are ..........

ODELL BAILEY (PRESIDENT) 

13027 PEMBROKE RD. DETROIT, MI 48235

Is that a current registered address?

Is there a way to find out previous BMI addresses? That would be conclusive I guess.

Sounds like Detroit in address only though still?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Yes, that's the registered address for Telldell Music that BMI currently hold.

HOWEVER .... there's an e-mail address that goes with it (that I guess relates to SCI Records), but that e-mail address is defunct.

BUT, I seem to recall Dave Thorley saying that Odell Bailey passed away a few years back, so I doubt an e-mail address relating to him would still be current.

Social source share

A UK act who got to enjoy a World Artist 45 release was Steve Marriott's 1st group, the Moments (the single never gained UK release) ...... 

Pete, what can you tell us about that release from Steve Marriott's The Moments group ??

Why did the cuts never escape in the UK after the Small Faces hit big ?

There's a piece on the net about Acid Jazz recently putting out the previously unheard "Money, Money" track that featured (Steve Marriott's) Moments.

Funny coz the track was released on a World Artists 45 way back in the day ....... (see the US 45 in this youtube posting) ....

Social source share

Hang on are the Small Faces from Detroit!!!!!

It's Millage that claimed to be a Detroit label ..... Steve Marriotts pre-Small Faces group (the Moments) were on World Artists not Millage.

Lou Guarino worked for Odell Bailey's Varbee label, then he worked for World / World Artists / American Arts (that Detroit's Harry Balk was also involved with).

Lou G quit WA to start AMM (American Music Makers) and fetched Harry Balk across with him (though that partnership seemed very short lived).

Odell Bailey returns to the picture and starts up Millage (in Pittsburgh but claiming to be from Detroit) and Lou G and his act have a release on Millage.

So there are definite links (seemingly right through the 60's) between the Pittsburgh & Detroit music scenes, but that doesn't make Millage a Detroit label (though it claimed to be one).

Mind you, the Small Faces / Detroit links are STRONG ...

... Steve Marriott was from Manor Park, East London. Manor Park is near Deptford, Deptford sounds a bit like Detroit (well they share 6 letters in their names) ..... The Small Faces cut "Every Little Bit Hurts", a Motown song .......  so the Small Faces & Detroit are closely tied.

post-22122-0-49363500-1367911168_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

When Diamond Records picked up the Contrails "Someone" in October 1966 (& released it at the end of that year), they licensed the 45 in from Bailey - McClendon Productions of Pittsburgh. 

So Odell Bailey still seemed to be operating out of Pittsburgh at the end of 1966.

post-22122-0-05485300-1367927006_thumb.j

Social source share

When the Kelly St John Millage 45 (# 105) was released,it was announced that the single would be distributed by Pittsburgh based P & M

.......... (see post #25 above).

It seems to me that the distributor concerned was more likely the one below (run by ex record label guy & restaurant owner Paul McGrath) ......

The 45 was seemingly 'promoted' by P.M. Record Promotion Service ....... SO WHY .....

...... do sleeves for promo copies of this single still show the Mortuary address; most strange ?? 

post-22122-0-58845500-1367998726_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Yes, that's the registered address for Telldell Music that BMI currently hold.

HOWEVER .... there's an e-mail address that goes with it (that I guess relates to SCI Records), but that e-mail address is defunct.

BUT, I seem to recall Dave Thorley saying that Odell Bailey passed away a few years back, so I doubt an e-mail address relating to him would still be current.

I'm sorry I haven't read every post. But Odell Bailey, lived in Detroit, but had business interests in Phittsburgh, and he had a whole bunch of artists over there that he wanted to record. As for Telldell music, this was Dennis Tally's & Odell Bailey's publishing venture, that was used on many of the DT label recordings, so would have a Detroit address. Both Dennis and Odell are now passed. Dennis died in fairly diminished financial state, after his death his house was ransacked and the masters all went missing or got burnt when the house was torched.

Odell family still live in Detroit, but can't find any of his masters and it's a mystery where every thing went.

PS it could be that Odell's business interest in Phittsburgh was the Mortuary and so why not use that address. I can ask the family next time I'm there.

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

A couple of Millage acts (the Contrails & Captions) were on this big charity show held in Pittsburgh in late October 1967 .....

......... the AMM label's studio backing band, the Up-Set (Upsets) also played live gigs at venues across the city back then .......

BTW, the top local act on the charity show bill, (Sonny Gilmore &) the Premiers , had recorded for RCA in the late 50's.

post-22122-0-49277900-1368145966_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Another Odell Bailey label that started life in Pittsburgh but then moved across to Detroit was Single B Records.

It's 60's releases all seem to be Pittsburgh product but the later things on the label (with input from Dennis Talley's Creative Profile Prods) emanated from 18451 James Cozens in Detroit ........ that's the same address the Fourth Day 45 on DT Records came out of. 

post-22122-0-11102000-1369130243_thumb.j

Social source share

• 5 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!