Soulful Sax

Just been driving home listening to the CD in the car, and a tune prompted me to post a topic!

I've been a big fan of records with a great saxaphone backing and a really soulful sax break is a killer. There are some great tunes out there, but surely the one that prompted this post is up there with the best...

Junior Walker & the All Stars - What does it take

https://youtu.be/wzPQe8JYJns

is there a better one ?

Must be lots of favourites...... let's be 'aving 'em !

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Jnr Walker easily my favourite non Jazz saxophonist. I started playing tenor sax as a 19 year old and he was a massive influence. He had the sweetest tone and brilliant technique! The baritone sax player on all those Motown mid 60's stuff was cool. Loads of great solo's - couple of faves :- 4 Tops - Something About You - raucous is the only description for that one. Isley's - I Guess I'll Always Love You And of course Bari Track - Baritone sax genius! Btw Swifty that is a killer King Curtis cover of Green Onions - not heard it before and going onto the MP3 player.

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

Dave , this is one of my faves , used to go in the old local music shop after the pub on a saturday and look at all the Saxes they had , my favourite instrument without doubt! . Anyway I think this is an awesome version loud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHj_FFVo934

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

wow, ive just had one of those moments where you hear something and it really does it for you :thumbsup: at 52 still hearing new tunes !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

wow, ive just had one of those moments where you hear something and it really does it for you :thumbsup: at 52 still hearing new tunes !

Glad you like it mate , had it on a tape for years without knowing who it was, then saw a demo LP on a bookstore site on ebay , saw the track listing and took a punt at it , hoping it was the same track . It was , Result.

Really sounds awesome loud , never heard it out though.

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

p.s. Know what you mean about hearing stuff for the first time , I do it all the time on here but hey I've only

been into it for nearly 40 years :lol:

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

It was always in danger of becoming a Junior Walker appreciation thread, but what the hell.....

Another classic from the master !

Dave

And from one Harrison to another this type of extended thread via u tube is common on SS David. Look at Phil Garswood's thread about George Benson......................and it still has not being nailed. :wicked: .

Social source share

Probably have folks howling at the moon for posting this but this is one my favourite sax breaks of any 'Northern' record. He was a well trained, classical musician and I am fortunate to have found the original test pressings of the two sides of the original LP complete with his bio which is quite impressive.

Break starts at 2.32.

Check out the comments. Wonder how many people STILL think this was the George Clinton of Geo-Si-Mik and not as he really is, some Mid Western white boy with a horn? :lol::thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

Edited by Dave Moore
Social source share

Tonnes of gr8 sax everywhere,

James Lewis and the Case of Time "Manifesto" Legend.....turn that dial "volume" to the maxx and just leave it there !

"Next we'll hit Chicago..." Saxie Russel "Psychadelic Soul" Thomas played vocal and instr (Part Two). back to back !

Nolan Chance "Just like the weather" BUNKY ! eat your heart out ! tremendous sax break,especially if you are lucky enough to have tube amplification :thumbsup:

Rotations "Put a dime on" Frantic

spring immediately to mind :)

Rob. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

• 6 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!