Tributes To Otis Redding...44 Years On

Dave Moore

Every now and then a talent comes along that contributes large changes to a musical landscape. people like Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis, Beatles etc are great examples. The sad thing being that sometimes these talents don't get a chance to realise the longevity they deserve. Otis Redding was one such talent. For me, Otis Redding was THE archetypal soul performer. His records are truly soulful, his vocal delivery could be as tender as gossamer or as tough as granite, he could sing it all. But, for me, it's his live perfomances that push him head and shoulders above most others. He had that magical ability to smother his audience, to wrap himself around them and draw them in, to make it appear that he was singing in a phone booth , alone, with no inhibitions to restrict him. That ability is priceless.

A big giant of a man physically, it always pleases me when people who worked with him are asked to sum him up, as the constant phrase used is 'a gentle soul'.

To me eternal regret, I never got to see him sing live. But the recordings of his performances are all over the net so I've started this little thread so that other fans can drop them off here and share their favorite live performances of his.

Otis Redding was a soul singer. Enough said.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Every now and then a talent comes along that contributes large changes to a musical landscape. people like Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis, Beatles etc are great examples. The sad thing being that sometimes these talents don't get a chance to realise the longevity they deserve. Otis Redding was one such talent. For me, Otis Redding was THE archetypal soul performer. His records are truly soulful, his vocal delivery could be as tender as gossamer or as tough as granite, he could sing it all. But, for me, it's his live perfomances that push him head and shoulders above most others. He had that magical ability to smother his audience, to wrap himself around them and draw them in, to make it appear that he was singing in a phone booth , alone, with no inhibitions to restrict him. That ability is priceless.

A big giant of a man physically, it always pleases me when people who worked with him are asked to sum him up, as the constant phrase used is 'a gentle soul'.

To me eternal regret, I never got to see him sing live. But the recordings of his performances are all over the net so I've started this little thread so that other fans can drop them off here and share their favorite live performances of his.

Regards,

Dave

I was very lucky to see Otis in The Otis Redding Show at The Liverpool Empire - I still have the programme and the handbill that came with the tickets. On the same show were Sam & Dave, Eddie Floyd, Booker T, Arthur Conley & The Markeys. I still remember it vividly and as good as all the other artists were, Otis did literally stand out physically and by talent, head & shoulders above them all. I particularly remember him doing I've Been Loving You Too Long while playing the piano and there was a bit where the band stopped playing and he stopped singing and the whole theatre was totally silent until he put a finger back on the keyboard to bring everyone back into the song. WONDERFUL. I lived in Wrexham at the time and did not have transport and me and the missus got a train back to Chester and hitched back to Wrexham with a lift who took us right to our door! It seems like it was a totally different universe then!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was very lucky to see Otis in The Otis Redding Show at The Liverpool Empire - I still have the programme and the handbill that came with the tickets. On the same show were Sam & Dave, Eddie Floyd, Booker T, Arthur Conley & The Markeys. I still remember it vividly and as good as all the other artists were, Otis did literally stand out physically and by talent, head & shoulders above them all. I particularly remember him doing I've Been Loving You Too Long while playing the piano and there was a bit where the band stopped playing and he stopped singing and the whole theatre was totally silent until he put a finger back on the keyboard to bring everyone back into the song. WONDERFUL. I lived in Wrexham at the time and did not have transport and me and the missus got a train back to Chester and hitched back to Wrexham with a lift who took us right to our door! It seems like it was a totally different universe then!

Great story. Thanks for sharing it. :thumbsup:

Here's Otis converting a huge crowd of hippies that soul is really where it's at with the same song!

Regards,

Dave

https://youtu.be/GGlKJDEI1Nk

Edited by Dave Moore
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Here's one of mine Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dael4sb42nI

Swifty :thumbsup:

Absolutely superb

I always loved the fact that he had two gangly white guys behind him in the form of Steve Cropper and Don Dunn, looking like it was just another day at the office, and it worked soooo well. :thumbsup:

Here's one of my favourites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gQOulwEjiE&feature=related

Eric Burdon is just in awe. :lol:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Regards,

Dave

Great post.................like you said, he can do the raw, gritty stuff and can also sing a ballad with such feeling!!!! Been a fan of Otis

since I was knee-high to a grass-hopper.

Great footage of the Monterey festival...........my fave is already here too 'Shake'............think a close second for me would be his version of 'Satisfaction'........awesome stuff!!!!

Carol :thumbup:

Edited by Carol J
Social source share

"This is the love crowd, right?"

:thumbsup:

Otis is 44 years gone and his music is still breaking hearts.

And it's amazing to think he was only 26 when he died.

Paul

Social source share

I agree totally Dave with all your sentiments regarding the Big O. I was only recently telling Hayley that an album I used to listen to every morning before going to school still moves me as much today as it did then. 'Otis Blue - Otis Redding sings soul.' Well over 40 years. Can there be a better testament to the man than that?

I don't think there has ever been a voice that is as moving, emotive and as downright soulful as Otis. No one delivers a ballad like Otis and no one expresses the sheer joy of being alive and vibrant than Otis.

He is still sorely missed and will NEVER be forgotten. Otis, sleep on.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!