R L Burnside It's Bad You Know 7" Limited?

Bigsoulman

definitely needs pitching up imho

dave rivers broke it at middleton a few christmasses ago

Andy

Dave got a carver of it save carrying the LP about & he only played it a few times & didn't get on with it much so gave it to Col Woods who did the same then gave it to me along with the LP...........I still play it off that carver,small world :D

Cheers

Martyn

PS Was played in Oz before it was played over here.

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Andy

Dave got a carver of it save carrying the LP about & he only played it a few times & didn't get on with it much so gave it to Col Woods who did the same then gave it to me along with the LP...........I still play it off that carver,small world :D

Cheers

Martyn

PS Was played in Oz before it was played over here.

we had quite a lengthy discussion about it round daves before we went on to middleton, common concencus after an hour was, there was only only way to find out whether it woas going to work or not, seemed to go down well that night, although i think it has limited appeal

Social source share

marmite record for sure , but still packin' the dance floors .Always happy to oblige requests to play it - i love it

ps check out his other releases - this guys got some pedigree

have to add its a pure blues record for me, that I'm not personally keen on myself, sounds a lot like an uptempo tune by someone like robert cray,

Social source share

HI ALL IF ANYONE WANTS ONE OF THE CHARITY 45 R L BURNSIDE,I WILL SELL MINE FOR £40.00 PLUS £1.00 POST

AND I WILL PUT £20.00 OF IT BACK IN TO EDDIES CANCER CHARITY.

MRRRY XMAS TO ALL

think i may have let my copy go a bit cheap lololol

moldie

Social source share

If you played it at +100000000000000000000000 it would still last too long :lol: :lol: . The fcking worst record ever played they should all be destroyed. :yes::lol:

... :facepalm: bout sums it up Mick.... ....... :D

Edited by Dale
Social source share

have to add its a pure blues record for me, that I'm not personally keen on myself, sounds a lot like an uptempo tune by someone like robert cray,

totally agree its a blues record. I don't mind it but its not realy a soul record.

some probably went for it just because it was a bit different.

Social source share

Eddy Edmondson LEGALLY released it (100 copies) and gave 100% of the profits to charity.

I saw the letter from RL Burnside's label sanctioning the release

I sold most of them from my site in under a week (with loads going to Australia!)

I was rooting thru a box the other week and found one that had been reserved but never sent for so i ebayed it and got circa £60 of which again 100% went to charity

I'm not a lover of the record and have never ever played it out anywhere BUT it is very popular on some scenes PLUS it has helped raise loads for charity

I can also say that the first place it was ever played was on the first series of The Soprano's back in the late 90's :D

Hope this clears a few things up?

Cheers

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

we had quite a lengthy discussion about it round daves before we went on to middleton, common concencus after an hour was, there was only only way to find out whether it woas going to work or not, seemed to go down well that night, although i think it has limited appeal

Andy

One that gets people talking & that's the thing I love about it,the more people have an opinion about what's been played the better for me.I think it's split down the middle,half love it & half hate it,it's just the haters tend to be a bit more vocal :D

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Andy

One that gets people talking & that's the thing I love about it,the more people have an opinion about what's been played the better for me.I think it's split down the middle,half love it & half hate it,it's just the haters tend to be a bit more vocal :D

Cheers

Martyn

As I said I'm not keen but I'd go for this over another top 500 oldie any time.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Eddy Edmondson LEGALLY released it (100 copies) and gave 100% of the profits to charity.

I saw the letter from RL Burnside's label sanctioning the release

I sold most of them from my site in under a week (with loads going to Australia!)

I was rooting thru a box the other week and found one that had been reserved but never sent for so i ebayed it and got circa £60 of which again 100% went to charity

I'm not a lover of the record and have never ever played it out anywhere BUT it is very popular on some scenes PLUS it has helped raise loads for charity

I can also say that the first place it was ever played was on the first series of The Soprano's back in the late 90's :D

Hope this clears a few things up?

Cheers

Steve

Yes Steve got mine from you. and yes right about the Sopranos - included on the soundtrack album too.

I must say - I like it, I like R.L Burnside, I like most of the Fat possum stuff, I like Robert Cray and I like Blues. So for me it could be played out for any of those reasons just as long as it was not tampered with by some 'creative' DJ - +4 indeed !!

Social source share

Yes Steve got mine from you. and yes right about the Sopranos - included on the soundtrack album too.

I must say - I like it, I like R.L Burnside, I like most of the Fat possum stuff, I like Robert Cray and I like Blues. So for me it could be played out for any of those reasons just as long as it was not tampered with by some 'creative' DJ - +4 indeed !!

Mike

I do that to get it over quicker for those who don't like :D

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

Sounds a lot like by an uptempo tune by someone like Robert Cray? , obviously you have never listened to any Robert Cray material .
Your right, just been freshing up my knowledge on the tube, Robert Cray blows Burnside into the down-home gutter. Personally I love blues, I'm not sure of its place on the scene or if I'd want to hear at a night, but I sposse I could tolerate the odd track, I know a lot of folk dont dig latin and boogaloo, which is always an essential feature if I get to play a set, so live and let live and variety is the key again. However what imho R cray and Burnside have in common imho is a contemporary polish and sheen which for all its clarity lacks the warmth and depth that 60's r and b tunes have by the bucket load. Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Your right, just been freshing up my knowledge on the tube, Robert Cray blows Burnside into the down-home gutter. Personally I love blues, I'm not sure of its place on the scene or if I'd want to hear at a night, but I sposse I could tolerate the odd track, I know a lot of folk dont dig latin and boogaloo, which is always an essential feature if I get to play a set, so live and let live and variety is the key again. However what imho R cray and Burnside have in common imho is a contemporary polish and sheen which for all its clarity lacks the warmth and depth that 60's r and b tunes have by the bucket load.

I agree with you why would you want to hear it on the scene on a northern night , they are totally different types of music i love Robert Cray but it's music to listen to at home or live where the man is sensational, all is was trying to get at was there was no comparison to the RL Burnside track and any Robert Cray music that i've heard.

Social source share

I agree with you why would you want to hear it on the scene on a northern night , they are totally different types of music i love Robert Cray but it's music to listen to at home or live where the man is sensational, all is was trying to get at was there was no comparison to the RL Burnside track and any Robert Cray music that i've heard.

fair point, I sposse what I meant was, burnside is typical of so much in contemporary blues and its productions values. i just used Mr Cray as a well know example, the simarlarity ends there.

Social source share

As I said I'm not keen but I'd go for this over another top 500 oldie any time.

Really? Discounting Mel Britt, The Millionaires, Mamie Galore, Sandi Sheldon, Roy Hamilton, Herb Johnson, Len Jewell, Al Williams, The Trends, Eddie Foster and around 490 similar barring one or two.

RL Burnside is better? Spare me!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Really? Discounting Mel Britt, The Millionaires, Mamie Galore, Sandi Sheldon, Roy Hamilton, Herb Johnson, Len Jewell, Al Williams, The Trends, Eddie Foster and around 490 similar barring one or two.

RL Burnside is better? Spare me!

cause its not Kev, its just no where near as hammered to death, for christsake you've been listening to these amazing records for twice as long as I have, surely their effect on a person disminishes every time you here them, its like Christmas records, slade and wizard are are great to the first couple of hundred times you hear them, nowadays I hit the dial as soon as they come on the radio. maybe I should of said top 100 in fairness, there's a fair portion of the 500 that doesnt get a look in, some you mentioned, but also a massive portion thats extemely overplayed. I'm not keen on burnside, but love listening to fresh sounds.

Social source share

one would do - surely he had one by 1999?

Sad to say, even re-vamped today would probably only include 'Because Of You'.

If it were me personally, add Who Who, Sweetest Feeling, Whispers, Don't Want to Lose You etc etc.......but it ain't. The book was based on DJ and fan response. Jackie amazingly didn't feature incredibly well. Crazy but true.

Social source share

Sad to say, even re-vamped today would probably only include 'Because Of You'.

If it were me personally, add Who Who, Sweetest Feeling, Whispers, Don't Want to Lose You etc etc.......but it ain't. The book was based on DJ and fan response. Jackie amazingly didn't feature incredibly well. Crazy but true.

I'd be interested to know which DJs and Fans you asked who would nominate Nosmo King, Helen Shapiro, Gary Lewis or Muriel Day ahead of anything Jackie Wilson did. Certainly not many who contribute on this forum if the response to 'Artist Of The Week' is anything to go by.

Social source share

I'd be interested to know which DJs and Fans you asked who would nominate Nosmo King, Helen Shapiro, Gary Lewis or Muriel Day ahead of anything Jackie Wilson did. Certainly not many who contribute on this forum if the response to 'Artist Of The Week' is anything to go by.

People who bought Northern Soul records. As credible as Soul Source is, it's a minority. As a publication, it needed to be accurate, as in what the masses think, not die hard collectors. The truth does hurt, but why for sake of argument, pretend Jackie Wilson's I Don't

Want to Lose You was bigger than Muriel Day? Clearly it wasn't and that what the book was about....popularity.

If you frequented Soul nights that pull big numbers you would understand. Again, it's not my personal choice ala Muriel over Jackie, but then again DJ Genesis and RL Burnside are rubbish in my opinion.

Social source share

People who bought Northern Soul records. As credible as Soul Source is, it's a minority. As a publication, it needed to be accurate, as in what the masses think, not die hard collectors. The truth does hurt, but why for sake of argument, pretend Jackie Wilson's I Don't

Want to Lose You was bigger than Muriel Day? Clearly it wasn't and that what the book was about....popularity.

If you frequented Soul nights that pull big numbers you would understand. Again, it's not my personal choice ala Muriel over Jackie, but then again DJ Genesis and RL Burnside are rubbish in my opinion.

I don't understand, how do you know what type of Soul nights I attend?

Also I thought your book 'In the final analysis this chart is derived from overall long term popularity' - in the 30 years or so you book covers i.e. 69-99 was Nosmo King more popular than anything Jackie Wilson recorded?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!