Ivy Hunter-Unsung Hero ?

Citizen P

Following the Martha & The Vandellas thread, and mentioning one of her best dancers-Heartless- lead me to remembering a conversation with Ricky w.that concluded if you you see anything Motown related with Ivy Hunter credited -buy it. 99 times out of 100 it'll be a cracker..

So, over to you

Tony

Social source share

Following the Martha & The Vandellas thread, and mentioning one of her best dancers-Heartless- lead me to remembering a conversation with Ricky w.that concluded if you you see anything Motown related with Ivy Hunter credited -buy it. 99 times out of 100 it'll be a cracker..

So, over to you

Tony

I absolutely love IJH and think his recordings are so underated.

Just listen to Where Are You. If released this would have been massive. He is supposed to have a CD out soon, but no sign of it yet. I put a thread on here asking for info but unfortunately no one replied! I love all his sides. His plaintive vocals are just so soulful.

Social source share

Ivy Jo Hunter & Ivory Joe Hunter & Joe Hunter = :rofl:

so much room for confusion :D

True.......

Ivy Jo Hunter - House writer and producer at Wingate and Motown records. When Motown left Detroit Ivy stayed behind and hit lean times, but continues with his own lables, Red Line, Solid State. One of the nicest guys you could meet. He came over to the UK in the 90's and sang at The Bretby Allniter.

post-3008-0-02964400-1323871001_thumb.jp

Ivory Joe Hunter - R&B/Blues singer who had recordings on Atlantic, Originally from Texas

post-3008-0-54651800-1323870984_thumb.jp

Joe Hunter - Founding member of the Funk Brothers, piano. Also prolific writer and producer for many independant Detroit 60's & 70's recordings. If you see J. Hunter or Joe Hunter credited on a Detroit release more often that not it's him.

post-3008-0-04087300-1323871014.jpg

Edited by Dave Thorley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Wow! Great tune. New to me. :thumbsup:

they have another record on wiggins but it's not that good. someone sent me some awesome footage of them performing the wiggins record. ivy jo owned this label I think (he has a record of his own on the label, as "Ivy") and I think the related Probe label.

Social source share

So, over to you

Tony

His version of Sorry Is A Sorry Word on VIP is wonderful, a pleading,tortured rendition,pure magic.

Social source share

• 4 months later...

Ivy Jo Hunter returns !!! :thumbup:

Courtesy of Soul Junction Records with two sublime previously unissued 70's tracks from the Probe 1 Production era.

"See You Around b/w Yea, Yea, Yea" Soul Junction SJ516

Due For Release in Late May. :hatsoff2:

Dave & John

Soul Junction

• Helpful 2
Social source share

True.......

Ivy Jo Hunter - House writer and producer at Wingate and Motown records. When Motown left Detroit Ivy stayed behind and hit lean times, but continues with his own lables, Red Line, Solid State. One of the nicest guys you could meet. He came over to the UK in the 90's and sang at The Bretby Allniter.

Ivory Joe Hunter - R&B/Blues singer who had recordings on Atlantic, Originally from Texas

post-3008-0-54651800-1323870984_thumb.jp

Joe Hunter - Founding member of the Funk Brothers, piano. Also prolific writer and producer for many independant Detroit 60's & 70's recordings. If you see J. Hunter or Joe Hunter credited on a Detroit release more often that not it's him.

post-3008-0-04087300-1323871014.jpg

I've never heard of Ivy Hunter working at Wingate. I always thought that was Funk Brother (piano player and bandlleader, Joe Hunter (who left Motown in 1964 to work with Fred Brown at Mickay's, and who worked a lot with Ed Wingate's labels, as well as with Pied Piper and other non-Motown Detroit labels). Was I wrong all those years? NONE of his online bios mention anything about his working for Wingate.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

I've always been partial to Ivy Hunter's recordings too. Get him over here! Looking at Lee Field's recent performances, reports I've had from Richard Caiton's show at Soul Essence, it's evident that some of these artists are still capable of captivating audiences. I'd love to see Charles Mintz do his stuff.

Social source share

Ivy Jo Hunter returns !!! :thumbup:

Courtesy of Soul Junction Records with two sublime previously unissued 70's tracks from the Probe 1 Production era.

"See You Around b/w Yea, Yea, Yea" Soul Junction SJ516

Due For Release in Late May. :hatsoff2:

Dave & John

Soul Junction

Ivy Jo Hunter.....unissued 70s tracks.....

wow pretty impressive stufff from Soul Junction Records [ its defo full steam ahead on this little beauty]] .... great stuff a canna wait!!!

ktf tfk :rofl:

Edited by tfk
Social source share

True.......

I remember it well Dave. Cracking allnighter!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!