Red And Black Jamie Label

Diddy Morgan

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

This is slightly tricky. The changeover from label designs is supposed to have happened in 1967 according to BSN but both these 45s are from 1968 & exist on both designs. I would call them 2nd presses. The promos are on the old design, then there is stock on the old & new design. Common sense would put the orange label after the white but I can't say exactly how much after as Jamie were pretty good at keeping stuff in print. Has anyone seen a promo on orange?

Social source share

according to JM's 5th edition

red & black lable with white logo and instrumental "b" side is 2nd press

my orig gold and white lable red logo has bell sound stamp about 5 o'clock and at 3 o'clock has a stamp that looks like iz or 12 very close together.

hope this helps.

gogs

I'm sure i have the 2nd press somewhere as it is the only way to get the instrumental version.

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

I have it on good authority from Poke,that John Anderson had these done along with Pookie Hudson.They were ordered and there was a minimum quantity of 500.He wasnt sure how many were done although they are kosher second issues.

If you want to confirm this speak to Poke on Fuckbase face book under Blair Hayden

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Smudge, you're right about John Anderson but these pre-date Pookie Hudson by two or three years.

I have no answer for that Pete.I will see Poke over Christmas and Ill see if I can clarify the situation.

Social source share

Jamie 1352 is a 1968 release

Jamie 1352 with instrumental flip is 1977

Ann D'andrea with the instrumental flip was out before 1977 John.

It falls in with the run of vinyl pressings on Arctic Harthon etc, if it were 77 it would have been on styrene like Pookie Hudson, the Eric reissues, Rotations on Frantic etc.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Love this one...Funky, harmonica, wailing vocal...will have its day, one day!

Stock and WD variants...both spares...neither will break the bank balance at this point either!

:thumbup:

post-9555-0-60303500-1323947880_thumb.jp

post-9555-0-52078400-1323948028_thumb.jp

Social source share

Dave,

Funny you should list this title in recent times I did ask Frank Lipsius of Jamie Guyden if his 45 was ever issued on the White / Green pre-69 label so I could document it in PG6. He thought not and said this 1968 release and right on the cusp of the label design change.

If anyone has seen it or owns on the earlier design - a scan would be wonderful. But like I say Frank thought it came on the red label only.

John

Social source share

Dave,

Funny you should list this title in recent times I did ask Frank Lipsius of Jamie Guyden if his 45 was ever issued on the White / Green pre-69 label so I could document it in PG6. He thought not and said this 1968 release and right on the cusp of the label design change.

If anyone has seen it or owns on the earlier design - a scan would be wonderful. But like I say Frank thought it came on the red label only.

Hi John,

Nowp, never seen or heard of this one being on the 'down the side' layout...such a great tune and currently under the Funky tunes radar!

Regards from Tokyo!

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

post-9242-0-08533500-1324008560_thumb.jp

:hatsoff2: HI ALL This great record I first got a copy from Mick Smith in 72, also got the Pookie Hudson on the same label from Mick in 75, When I sold my 1st collection, I bought both singles back as reissues, not as bootlegs, JAMIE/GUYDEN, HAS MANY REISSUES, with the VIRTUE mark, as far as I no they are not bootlegs at all, just repressing? :g: DAVE
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL This great record I first got a copy from Mick Smith in 72, also got the Pookie Hudson on the same label from Mick in 75, When I sold my 1st collection, I bought both singles back as reissues, not as bootlegs, JAMIE/GUYDEN, HAS MANY REISSUES, with the VIRTUE mark, as far as I no they are not bootlegs at all, just repressing? :g: DAVE

Dave, as I said above, red and black Ann Dandrea was way before 1977, thanks for backing me up :lol:

you're completely wrong about the date of Pookie Hudson though, it wasn't pressed until either december 76 or january february 77, now I have it on a Wigan tape from 77 and as you know, they dropped anything that was pressed from the playlists straight away

Social source share

Dave, as I said above, red and black Ann Dandrea was way before 1977, thanks for backing me up :lol:

you're completely wrong about the date of Pookie Hudson though, it wasn't pressed until either december 76 or january february 77, now I have it on a Wigan tape from 77 and as you know, they dropped anything that was pressed from the playlists straight away

HI PETE Sorry but I was agreeing with you regarding Pookie Hudson as I have a Soul Bowl list from 77 with it on, and although John sold repressed records, i can't recall him selling bootlegs at all. Pookie Hudson although a 50's rocker in the Charlie Gracie Philly style, his norther/Wigan classic is still one of my Favorite records of all time, and a 1st issue must be worth getting, I would like to have a cdpy again, value today? can you help! DAVE
Social source share

HI PETE Sorry but I was agreeing with you regarding Pookie Hudson as I have a Soul Bowl list from 77 with it on, and although John sold repressed records, i can't recall him selling bootlegs at all. Pookie Hudson although a 50's rocker in the Charlie Gracie Philly style, his norther/Wigan classic is still one of my Favorite records of all time, and a 1st issue must be worth getting, I would like to have a cdpy again, value today? can you help! DAVE

Had one earlier this year - thought it would fly out, think it only went for £175 in the end. He was a doo-wopper though Dave, not a rocker..lead singer of The Spaniels

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Had one earlier this year - thought it would fly out, think it only went for £175 in the end. He was a doo-wopper though Dave, not a rocker..lead singer of The Spaniels

HI PETE That's a ridiculous price for such a rare record, if you consider what people spend on records these days, when i said Rocker that's my way of stating they had more success in the 50's not that they were greebos? however he did have some solo releases, DAVE
Social source share

Guest Perception

red and black Ann Dandrea was way before 1977,

you're completely wrong about the date of Pookie Hudson though, it wasn't pressed until either december 76 or january february 77,

I think you are right with your dates.

I had a Red reissue of Ann Dandrea before 1977 because it was the only way to get the instrumental! The instrumental was played in Wigan before 1977.

I bought the Pookie Hudson as a brand new pressing/reissue from Colin Bee. It was masive at the time which was about 1976/7

Social source share

I think you are right with your dates.

I had a Red reissue of Ann Dandrea before 1977 because it was the only way to get the instrumental! The instrumental was played in Wigan before 1977.

I bought the Pookie Hudson as a brand new pressing/reissue from Colin Bee. It was masive at the time which was about 1976/7

Yes the Ann D'Andrea was an old Catacombs and possibly even Torch spin back in 73/74

Social source share

Fortunately whilst documenting release dates.. we do not use memory for re-releases we have for the last 12 years researched our complete Blues & Soul, Black Music & Black Echoes archive the first reference we found many years ago to an Ann D'Andrea red label must have been 1977 otherwise I would not have documented it so. If someone can show me an earlier reference to the 2nd. press please let me have the info so I can correct it.

but we do NOT document from memories or opinions, they are notoriously inaccurate - mine more than most.

As we are currently logging writers, producers, release dates, cities on all 45s we process in stock for a point of reference in the future.

Recently an Atco 45 we had documented by us as a Memphis Recording (Steve Cropper session) was in fact Los Angles as the artists pointed out by email. It's facts like that, music mags from the era, owners of the labels etc. we are chronicling.

We don't list years from memory - which is absolutely the first step towards getting it wrong. We certainly had huge quantity on Ann D'Andrea first press which found in Nashville in1977 and I was as pleased as hell to have them.

Poke worked for Soul Bowl certainly 1976/77

Also Pete, I think if you read again, Dave's K posting he is saying he had the originals back in 1972 / 75 not the red label presses.

We want our source of website data to be unrivaled with scans, sounds, writers, producers, locations 1st presses 2nd presses, precise matrix details but in our eagerness to accumulate all this info we only use solid points of reference. Not opinions - so like I say - if anyone comes across an Ann Andrea listing for the RED LABEL on a Soul Bowl listing, a Black Echoes advert or even on our sales lists let me know so we can date it to the very year.

You will find 100s of listing on both Soul Bowl & John Manship Records lists for the first press, as we both carried a huge quantity of that title during the mid 70s and 80s. I personally had over 200 (it was an 1/2 price sale special on many occasions) and I think John maybe had much more than that.

The 70s Black Echoes, Black Music, Blues and Soul are a fabulous source of accurate information and they are the references points we have used to date re-issue 45s.

Any help with documenting and dating would be most-helpful. But I am planning a second sweep of those papers and mags to gather more info ...so I'll let everyone know if I come across Ann D'Andrea instrumental again.

Social source share

Fortunately whilst documenting release dates.. we do not use memory for re-releases we have for the last 12 years researched our complete Blues & Soul, Black Music & Black Echoes archive the first reference we found many years ago to an Ann D'Andrea red label must have been 1977 otherwise I would not have documented it so. If someone can show me an earlier reference to the 2nd. press please let me have the info so I can correct it.

but we do NOT document from memories or opinions, they are notoriously inaccurate - mine more than most.

As we are currently logging writers, producers, release dates, cities on all 45s we process in stock for a point of reference in the future.

Recently an Atco 45 we had documented by us as a Memphis Recording (Steve Cropper session) was in fact Los Angles as the artists pointed out by email. It's facts like that, music mags from the era, owners of the labels etc. we are chronicling.

We don't list years from memory - which is absolutely the first step towards getting it wrong. We certainly had huge quantity on Ann D'Andrea first press which found in Nashville in1977 and I was as pleased as hell to have them.

Poke worked for Soul Bowl certainly 1976/77

Also Pete, I think if you read again, Dave's K posting he is saying he had the originals back in 1972 / 75 not the red label presses.

We want our source of website data to be unrivaled with scans, sounds, writers, producers, locations 1st presses 2nd presses, precise matrix details but in our eagerness to accumulate all this info we only use solid points of reference. Not opinions - so like I say - if anyone comes across an Ann Andrea listing for the RED LABEL on a Soul Bowl listing, a Black Echoes advert or even on our sales lists let me know so we can date it to the very year.

You will find 100s of listing on both Soul Bowl & John Manship Records lists for the first press, as we both carried a huge quantity of that title during the mid 70s and 80s. I personally had over 200 (it was an 1/2 price sale special on many occasions) and I think John maybe had much more than that.

The 70s Black Echoes, Black Music, Blues and Soul are a fabulous source of accurate information and they are the references points we have used to date re-issue 45s.

Any help with documenting and dating would be most-helpful. But I am planning a second sweep of those papers and mags to gather more info ...so I'll let everyone know if I come across Ann D'Andrea instrumental again.

Fine, I bow down to your superior everything John.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!