News: New Documentary - Making Of Once Upon A Time In Wigan

Paul-s

On 14/12/2011 at 10:57, paul-s said:

A new documentary telling the factual story of the creation of the play commissioned by Paul Sadot's Urban Expansions Limited in 2002.

Contains original, previously unseen footage of the first night at Manchesters Contact Theatre on February 18th 2003.

link gone

ENJOY!

this is an 500 chrs clip of the article - use link below to view the article in full (images, video etc)

Enjoyed the play immensely, probably the best representation of the time and place that has surfaced so far :thumbsup:

Social source share

This is brilliant I saw it in London when it was at Canary Wharf way .

Wish someone would write something from a "today" perspective looking back to when the main characters were young.

I think the scene as it is today with its history looking back could make a great play/film.

Take five souls today ......and turn back the hands of time

Edited by Carms
Social source share

Thanks for the nice comments. I did this documentary to set the history of its creation straight. Seeing the footage also reminded me of how each night was like a great all nighter with the audience creating the atmosphere. I made it for the soul scene not the West End..

Social source share

Then perhaps someone else could run with my suggestion :g:

I think it would make a fantastic "Arts" film seeing the children/younger generation of today trying to champion a passion that their parents had , may still have ...sort of promote things forward ,plus the music we hear today is far more exciting because it has grown in many forms. ..yes I see this as a Cannes winner :rofl:

Edited by Carms
Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

oh thanks for that, I'm sat here balling my f**kin eyes out. beats the hell out of Soulboy.

Edited by soulmaguk
Social source share

I really enjoyed the play when it came to The Lowry in Salford Quays.

Unbeknown to me, and to my horror, my Mum and Dad decided to go and see the play in Coventry to find out a bit more about 'what their son has been into for the last 20 odd years'.

We subsequently had a somewhat difficult conversation about illegal substances!

I had a lot of explaining to do.

Was I a man or a mouse...did I come clean?

I'll say no more other than..."pass the cheese"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A tear in my eye too, just like on the first night, and other nights i saw it.

Some say art and northern soul don't mix.. It did on these nights..... Magic.....

Still see the lead guys out and about....

A magic time back then in Manc With the CIS around the same time also.

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

This play is the best representation ever of our scene , made with passion , love and humour and it shows in every scene . The first night at the Contact was electric . The second time I saw it also at the Contact I took my daughter on leaving she said " Now I understand you better "

Thanks Paul :hatsoff2:

Edited by Mark S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Just watched this - excellent, got to be time the play actually toured local theatres again!

I wont do it again as the playwright has changed it into a crap pantomime and allowed dodgy directors and theatres to rehash it with no respect to the scene or the work and love that went into creating this production.

There is a vast difference between a script and a production. A production brings a script to life and for that you need a soulful director who was there and cares about the reality. The script was born from my rehearsals and thats why others dont fully understand it and make a mess of it. They miss the nuances and all thats not written on the page. Please do not waste money on revivals that pretend to be the original. The playwright sold it down the swanny for a fiver and will continue to do so as long as he and others can make a fast buck from it..

KTF..

Social source share

Fantastic,,,,

Was lucky enough to see the play first time round (Queens Hall, Widnes) and like may others it echoed our time and experiance at Station Rd like nothing thats been done about the scene since - it also shows that there was a little more to Wigan than just Frank Wilson and baggy fookin pants. (like some would have you believe!)

Interestingly the only piece of memorabilia I own about the scene is a Poster from the Lowry advertising this very play.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Agree with above comments, it was a great play which should be doing the rounds again. Saw it at the Guild Hall in Preston; packed audience with bag loads of atmosphere and a great Cast who where very good.

Went to the end of show Soul Night at the Swallow Hotel (I think that is what it was called) and met some of the Cast who where great and made time to speak with anyone who wanted to ask any questions and they also had quite a few turns on the floor which was good to see.

Would definately go and see the play again!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

I wont do it again as the playwright has changed it into a crap pantomime and allowed dodgy directors and theatres to rehash it with no respect to the scene or the work and love that went into creating this production.

There is a vast difference between a script and a production. A production brings a script to life and for that you need a soulful director who was there and cares about the reality. The script was born from my rehearsals and thats why others dont fully understand it and make a mess of it. They miss the nuances and all thats not written on the page. Please do not waste money on revivals that pretend to be the original. The playwright sold it down the swanny for a fiver and will continue to do so as long as he and others can make a fast buck from it..

KTF..

I did mean it would be good to see it in it's original form again Paul!

Social source share

This is playing in Hull at the Truck Theatre in Jan / Feb 2012 :thumbsup:

NO ITS NOT! This is NOT playing again. A play called 'Once Upon A Time In Wigan' re written with an extra character played by the old guy from 'Casualty' is.Thats why i did the Documentary. I hoped people would watch it and see that it was MY production and commissioned ORIGINAL script that was the real deal. Since then the playwright has been hacking it (he made it into a crap musical for Bolton) and now hes hacked it for Hull Truck, a company who deal solely in cariactures! By all means go and see it BUT do not confuse it with this 2003 play. They are two very different things. The Hull one is called 'Once Upon a TIme IN Wigan 40th', smells like Winstanleys involved to me.

The clue is in the cast of Hull Trucks version.. I had FOUR characters (actors), they have FIVE. Its another re-write. and is so far from the original that we staged that its both sad and laughable. BUT, it will keep happening. If they paid him enough the playwright would re-rite it for the TWEENIES! :yes:

Social source share

I went to see this not expecting very much at all & came away uplifed. A fantastic production which touched my heart, & made all the better for my initial misgivings.

I would deffo go & see the original play again if it were to tour.

Thank you Paul, your play reminded me of just what it is/was all about.....

Russ

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Went to the end of show Soul Night at the Swallow Hotel (I think that is what it was called) !!!!!

And it offered quite a challenging statement re advertising this nights event back then.

It claimed that it would to be the first time since the closure of W/C that both dee jays Pat Brady and Richard Searling would be reunited and both appearing on the same stage .................umm :g:.

Social source share

And it offered quite a challenging statement re advertising this nights event back then.

It claimed that it would to be the first time since the closure of W/C that both dee jays Pat Brady and Richard Searling would be reunited and both appearing on the same stage .................umm :g:.

Would that not have been either Stafford Top of the World or Rotherham Clifton Hall?

Social source share

NO ITS NOT! This is NOT playing again. A play called 'Once Upon A Time In Wigan' re written with an extra character played by the old guy from 'Casualty' is.Thats why i did the Documentary. I hoped people would watch it and see that it was MY production and commissioned ORIGINAL script that was the real deal. Since then the playwright has been hacking it (he made it into a crap musical for Bolton) and now hes hacked it for Hull Truck, a company who deal solely in cariactures! By all means go and see it BUT do not confuse it with this 2003 play. They are two very different things. The Hull one is called 'Once Upon a TIme IN Wigan 40th', smells like Winstanleys involved to me.

The clue is in the cast of Hull Trucks version.. I had FOUR characters (actors), they have FIVE. Its another re-write. and is so far from the original that we staged that its both sad and laughable. BUT, it will keep happening. If they paid him enough the playwright would re-rite it for the TWEENIES! :yes:

This sounds a familiar scenario, people dipping their foot in won't notice or care about original productions, won't care about royalties, quick bucks................?

Has there been a similar or related thread??? :g:

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Would that not have been either Stafford Top of the World or Rotherham Clifton Hall?

As both regulars at W/C, CH and TOTW didn't Pat join the Stafford line up after Richards departure ?....anyone remember.

Could be some truth in it ......................but hey ho!!!!!! :wave: .

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

As both regulars at W/C, CH and TOTW didn't Pat join the Stafford line up after Richards departure ?....anyone remember.

Could be some truth in it ......................but hey ho!!!!!! :wave: .

I regularly got lifts from PB down to TOTW at the time and seem to remember RS being on on the same night as Pat at least once or twice. But a lot of water under the bridge since then so I could be talking/remembering b*llocks

Social source share

Saw the Live version at the Octagon it was insipid and pointless . Northern soul meets Mama Mia .

Social source share

Just got 2 tickets to see this in Hull in January 2012

Link below if intresed

https://www.hulltruck...ion=view&id=44

Ha! its almost as if people dont read or watch. This HUll Truck thing is called 'Once Upon A Time In Wigan 40th'. Its nothing to do with the production talked about in this thread or documentary. Do not be fooled because they actually want you to think it is. Same as the Bolton fiasco which they called 'Once Upon A Time In Wigan LIVE' and was described aptly

Saw the Live version at the Octagon it was insipid and pointless . Northern soul meets Mama Mia .

In the original production I had control of the script and edit because i commissioned it. Since then it has been turned inton a shallow piece of crap by the playwright and subsequent directors , all of whom NEVER went to Wigan or spent more than a night or two on the scene. Waste your money by all means BUT Please dont waste your money thinking that you are seeing 'Once Upon A Time In Wigan'. The clues in the bits they keep adding to the title. And the fact that its been re- written with an extra character played by the old duffer from 'Casualty'...even the poster image they use is off point...

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

You have exquisite taste in music Paul, this is undeniable. You produced a play from which everyone and his Grandmother now aspires to production wise. It was a brilliant 'trip'.

The opening words started off great. Until it got to the bit where it slagged off other people for doing the same. Bitter words. Sad words. Like no one else is allowed to produce a 'Northern Soul' memoir.

I never went to Wigan, I was too young. But all I hear is about the bogs, the sweat, the smell. I bet it was worth a million times those memories on the dance floor in your own space.

It's still like that now, for me.

Social source share

Just got 2 tickets to see this in Hull in January 2012

Link below if intresed

https://www.hulltruck...ion=view&id=44

Ha! its almost as if people dont read or watch. This HUll Truck thing is called 'Once Upon A Time In Wigan 40th'. Its nothing to do with the production talked about in this thread or documentary. Do not be fooled because they actually want you to think it is. Same as the Bolton fiasco which they called 'Once Upon A Time In Wigan LIVE' and was described aptly

In the original production I had control of the script and edit because i commissioned it. Since then it has been turned inton a shallow piece of crap by the playwright and subsequent directors , all of whom NEVER went to Wigan or spent more than a night or two on the scene. Waste your money by all means BUT Please dont waste your money thinking that you are seeing 'Once Upon A Time In Wigan'. The clues in the bits they keep adding to the title. And the fact that its been re- written with an extra character played by the old duffer from 'Casualty'...even the poster image they use is off point...

So are you telling me this is a boot :lol:

Social source share

Paul-Great content and music played to match dont think we have meet you must of done the mallet etc in Cambridge over the years will look out for you to say hello now i can put a face to your name top marks

Chris

Cambridge

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!