News: New Documentary - Making Of Once Upon A Time In Wigan

Paul-s

Paul-Great content and music played to match dont think we have meet you must of done the mallet etc in Cambridge over the years will look out for you to say hello now i can put a face to your name top marks

Chris

Cambridge

Thanks mate! Yes i used to go to the Mallet after St Ives for the dayers, back in 76-78 i think it was...best P

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Just putting the original post up again. Please pass on this documentary...Thanks...

A new documentary telling the factual story of the creation of the play commissioned by Paul Sadot's Urban Expansions Limited in 2002.

Contains original, previously unseen footage of the first night at Manchesters Contact Theatre on February 18th 2003.

ENJOY!

this is an 500 chrs clip of the article - use link below to view the article in full (images, video etc)

Social source share

Just been to see this , the boot version and now on nights so got a bit of time for a review, I went expecting this to be a bit of a let down, and found myself enjoying it right from the off,this is the first play I have ever seen and also the first time ever in a thearter. so the whole experance was new to me. the story line seemed to follow the plot as seen on the documentry much the same, and the acting seemed fine to me, the dancers were ok but did lack the passion you see if they were into the music, there acting what do you expect,it was funny in parts also poiniant too, even got a lump in my throat whem "I go to pieces" came through the speakers, dont know where the 5 main charactors came from as there was only 4 in the play i saw, enjoyed it and would recomend seeing it. If this versions Not as good as Pauls then i am sad i didnt get to see it. Maybe some one whos seen both can and a comment

Edited by miff
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Just been to see this , the boot version and now on nights so got a bit of time for a review, I went expecting this to be a bit of a let down, and found myself enjoying it right from the off,this is the first play I have ever seen and also the first time ever in a thearter. so the whole experance was new to me. the story line seemed to follow the plot as seen on the documentry much the same, and the acting seemed fine to me, the dancers were ok but did lack the passion you see if they were into the music, there acting what do you expect,it was funny in parts also poiniant too, even got a lump in my throat whem "I go to pieces" came through the speakers, dont know where the 5 main charactors came from as there was only 4 in the play i saw, enjoyed it and would recomend seeing it. If this versions Not as good as Pauls then i am sad i didnt get to see it. Maybe some one whos seen both can and a comment

I guess if you didn't see the original you don't have anything to compare it to. The only thing thats the same, is the title.

I spoke to 3 people who have seen it and they said it was trivial and flimsy, with dodgy dancing, so each to their own i guess.

Also there is an old duffer from Casualty in it. (i have no idea what he's doing there).The original had only 4 characters (actors) one of whom now plays Kelly in 'Shameless' and can be seen in the brilliant film 'Tyrannosaur' (now thats worth watching!).

As i said the script has taken a battering by Mick Martin (who never went to Wigan or nighters) and various directors (who also never went or were never a part of the scene), so it bears little resemblance to my show.

Im glad you enjoyed it and want people to go. Just as long as they don't think its anything to do with the 'soulful. truthful and unedited original piece that i created.

Best

P

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!