Lou Johnson - The Panic Is On

Hill868

Just got a copy of the previously unreleased ' The panic is on ' by Lou Johnson, but it's on a yellow Big top label, no. 45-105, with ' What am i crying for ' on the flip, not the maroon Big top press with ' Unsatisfied ' on the other side, seen often on ebay. Anyone know why and how it's been pressed twice ?

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

It hasn't been pressed twice - Unsatisfied was pressed with it's proper B side and also with Magic Potion on the other side, panic is on was only pressed this or last year

* after seeing mick's reply below, I stand corrected, never seen the red one

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Well said ady..always remember first time you played Lou's version of the panic is on down the 100 club blew me away a real wow moment from a true legend (not you Lou:)) so people don't touch the boots even if you do have a barge pole buy from ace and do Lou a favour .

Social source share

It's been pressed twice because the bootleggers are greedy scumbags who don't mind depriving Lou of his royalties that we pay him when we legitimately release his recordings. Do him a favour and wait for the Kent Select release which we're negotiating with the Aberbachs, he's had a stroke and could use the bread.

Or buy the whole 25 track CDs with many unissueds and a stunning alternative of Unsatisfied as well as this one. The notes and illustrations are superb too.

Ady

Ady,

Please come back and remind us when you release Lou's version on vinyl. I'll take a demo (if available), and a stocker.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Guest Brett F

It's been pressed twice because the bootleggers are greedy scumbags who don't mind depriving Lou of his royalties that we pay him when we legitimately release his recordings. Do him a favour and wait for the Kent Select release which we're negotiating with the Aberbachs, he's had a stroke and could use the bread.

Or buy the whole 25 track CDs with many unissueds and a stunning alternative of Unsatisfied as well as this one. The notes and illustrations are superb too.

Ady

Well put Ady, don't think we are going to see the pro bootleg brigade try and blag their way past your statement and justify shamelessly with tired remarks like " I don't care what format it's on...Blah..Blah...Bloody boring Blah !!!" I also remember you playing this down at the 100 Club, fabulous memory, i'd never heard the version before, just blew me away.

Brett

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

• 8 years later...

I just got a batch of 45s with one of these yellow label boots in it. Was it a Jamaican pressed boot? There were a bunch of dancehall singles (and some other legit soul 45s) in the box. These boots don't often surface in the southern U.S. states so how this one turned up where it was is a bit of a head scratcher. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!