Pete Waterman Northern Soul

Smudger

Guest allnightandy

:hatsoff2: Hi All ....I totaly agree, but there will always be a few caviats to this age old question, It has never been a simplistic question, and what is considard rare by you & me! is passe to other collectors, I dropped out of the exclusive must have click 25 years ago, for one reason only. As a married man with young kids, I could not justify to my partner the cost of records that I had & still felt I needed to own, especially when on the average wage, and as I very much liked to buy and sell, it was only my hobby, (however much the rare soul scene is a part of me, and influences me in the choice of recaptureing my fraternal youth, "am I really 60, in 3 weeks? as my cognition is of a 30 year old")

Many of the records I have in my collection as we approach 2012, are no longer exclusive sounds, even if you have not got them, you will no them and seen them, over the years when you like me cant walk by a pile of records without being magnatised to look through them,

In my studies of addiction, it is said that, when you put a piece of chocolate in your mouthm the high is more than a sexual orgasam, only for 1.4 of a second, when I look at records the anticipation is 100% higher, and certain records are of a much higher value,

So personal taste is very much a factore of desire, not the monatry value, for example :- Spyder Turner MGM Classic "I can't make it anymore" is not rare exclusive & is for many of us POPULAR today as ever, I just plated Paula Parfet "love is wonderful" BEACAN BEA135, again we all no it as above, but in this case, if you wanted it now, even if you had the money! could you by it in the next 3 hours?

So it is not as simple as to be an exclusive record, it's about your feelings about it that makes you want it, when I buy a record from a dealer, my opening gambit, has always been why are you selling it, just to here the explanation, that determins what offer I will make, I have only paid the asking price for a record if I feel that deeler has done the priceing right, making no need to hagle?

On this subject I feel there is real answer to it, like how come Ranking Johnny Boy get's so much for his record sales? who cares.

:g: As Always DAVE

You have just "Plated Paula Parfet" ! you lucky sod ! LOL :P Edited by allnightandy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Lets get real here all this current interest in northern soul has nothing to do with the upfront northern scene of the likes of the LifeLine nights,it's because of the mass numbers that attend OLDIES nights up and down the country, THE KINGS HALL effect for want of a better word, if it wasn't for this then the media wouldn't give a toss about a few 100 who push the boundaries forward. Todays upfront scene isn't really Northern as the term was orignally coined so just ignore the word NORTHERN Soul because the sounds the helped define the word where mostly uptempo catchy poppy tunes even if they were by black artists (Nothing wrong with this as I still love them myself), it was only as the scene matured that these have been replaced by an array of more harder uncommercial sounding tunes which is todays scene, we need a new definition to get away from the 70's and the media, and leave the OLDIES crowd to NORTHERN SOUL.

can't argue with that, spot on.
Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All ....I totaly agree, but there will always be a few caviats to this age old question, It has never been a simplistic question, and what is considard rare by you & me! is passe to other collectors, I dropped out of the exclusive must have click 25 years ago, for one reason only. As a married man with young kids, I could not justify to my partner the cost of records that I had & still felt I needed to own, especially when on the average wage, and as I very much liked to buy and sell, it was only my hobby, (however much the rare soul scene is a part of me, and influences me in the choice of recaptureing my fraternal youth, "am I really 60, in 3 weeks? as my cognition is of a 30 year old")

Many of the records I have in my collection as we approach 2012, are no longer exclusive sounds, even if you have not got them, you will no them and seen them, over the years when you like me cant walk by a pile of records without being magnatised to look through them,

In my studies of addiction, it is said that, when you put a piece of chocolate in your mouthm the high is more than a sexual orgasam, only for 1.4 of a second, when I look at records the anticipation is 100% higher, and certain records are of a much higher value,

So personal taste is very much a factore of desire, not the monatry value, for example :- Spyder Turner MGM Classic "I can't make it anymore" is not rare exclusive & is for many of us POPULAR today as ever, I just plated Paula Parfet "love is wonderful" BEACAN BEA135, again we all no it as above, but in this case, if you wanted it now, even if you had the money! could you by it in the next 3 hours?

So it is not as simple as to be an exclusive record, it's about your feelings about it that makes you want it, when I buy a record from a dealer, my opening gambit, has always been why are you selling it, just to here the explanation, that determins what offer I will make, I have only paid the asking price for a record if I feel that deeler has done the priceing right, making no need to hagle?

On this subject I feel there is real answer to it, like how come Ranking Johnny Boy get's so much for his record sales? who cares.

:g: As Always DAVE

DAVE, check out your recommended record of the day thread mate...Most people seem to be in agreement it really needs to be closed and a VOL 2 to be opened now so we can keep up with it and not see records replicated which is starting to happen through the sheer success of the idea mate...

All the best

Rich :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I spent some time talking to Elaine yesterday and her only goal is to make a film that reflects the northern scene evolving in the 7Ts, it's us as ''devotees'', that are looking into having a say in what is essentially her project. Whilst chatting, the thing that came across was that she had no agenda, just wanted to make an enjoyable quality film, that's as authentic in it's production as possible, and I applaud her for it. There'll be no aged dancers, and why should there be, I realise you're not saying there should be, but she told me it's been one of the biggest criticisms so far, but as soon as you stick us balding or chubby types in, it would in my opinion lose it's realism, and as thats what she's going for, fair play. As I said earlier, the points Callum made were more to do with the radio show and it's portrayal, and I tend to agree with him and Bearsy, some more contemporary music wouldn't have gone amiss, but as I also said, I would have liked to have seen/heard a part 2, explaining the progression but I think that's a totally separate topic from Elaine's film :thumbsup:

I agree with what you have said here, in my last post I did say that I was looking forward to this film and hoped that it would be a 'high quality closure' on the endless look backs and nostalgia trips...I still think there is space for a serious documentary looking at the journey of Northern Soul from say Stafford and 100 club up to the present day and homing in on how it has affected people's whole lives rather than just five or six years in the 70s...It's a completely different thing to attempt to document - via drama - the evolution of the 70s scene and then the real llifelong passions of people in their late 40s, 50s and 60s who are still 'living the dream' in various ways...Have a great New Year mate... :hatsoff2:

Edited by rich chorley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

DAVE, check out your recommended record of the day thread mate...Most people seem to be in agreement it really needs to be closed and a VOL 2 to be opened now so we can keep up with it and not see records replicated which is starting to happen through the sheer success of the idea mate...

All the best

Rich :hatsoff2:

I've started part two Rich on Dave's behalf and closed part one.

Social source share

if its popular and sold loads it dont neccesarily make it good either and this scene is not about popular records its as i have always understood been about rarer tunes wether cheap or expensive but most of all good to dance too, one soulies fave is anothers dross, totally agree with the rest of what you said though Shelly :hatsoff2:

Bearsy,

Understand where you're coming from, but the scene back then and today are two completely different worlds, linked by the term "Northern Soul".

Please don't forget that at the Wheel and up to the Torch, new releases where played regularly, obvious when you look at the years the Wheel was going, but maybe not so with the Torch, popularity and rarity blurred, just as long as a/ it was soul and b/ danceable;Wigan post '74 changed that.

But the difference in my humble opinion, is that then - upto '74, it was largely an exciting underground scene,word of mouth, fuelled by sounds, gear and the best looking birds around; today, it is competing with a myriad of other music forms including US modern soul and the internet which by and large take all that away and maybe it isn't the cutting edge it once was in terms of excitement, rare soul fills a niche but I don't think it can be called a youth sub-culture-in the social historians terms, that the Northern days upto '74 where.

Two different worlds linked by the term "Soul" not Northern and each having it's own place.

Shelly

But at the end of the day it's all relative, for me Alice Clerk, some of SK&F's finest

Social source share

Bearsy,

Understand where you're coming from, but the scene back then and today are two completely different worlds, linked by the term "Northern Soul".

Please don't forget that at the Wheel and up to the Torch, new releases where played regularly, obvious when you look at the years the Wheel was going, but maybe not so with the Torch, popularity and rarity blurred, just as long as a/ it was soul and b/ danceable;Wigan post '74 changed that.

But the difference in my humble opinion, is that then - upto '74, it was largely an exciting underground scene,word of mouth, fuelled by sounds, gear and the best looking birds around; today, it is competing with a myriad of other music forms including US modern soul and the internet which by and large take all that away and maybe it isn't the cutting edge it once was in terms of excitement, rare soul fills a niche but I don't think it can be called a youth sub-culture-in the social historians terms, that the Northern days upto '74 where.

Two different worlds linked by the term "Soul" not Northern and each having it's own place.

Shelly

But at the end of the day it's all relative, for me Alice Clerk, some of SK&F's finest

nice post :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Lets get real here all this current interest in northern soul has nothing to do with the upfront northern scene of the likes of the LifeLine nights,it's because of the mass numbers that attend OLDIES nights up and down the country, THE KINGS HALL effect for want of a better word, if it wasn't for this then the media wouldn't give a toss about a few 100 who push the boundaries forward. Todays upfront scene isn't really Northern as the term was orignally coined so just ignore the word NORTHERN Soul because the sounds the helped define the word where mostly uptempo catchy poppy tunes even if they were by black artists (Nothing wrong with this as I still love them myself), it was only as the scene matured that these have been replaced by an array of more harder uncommercial sounding tunes which is todays scene, we need a new definition to get away from the 70's and the media, and leave the OLDIES crowd to NORTHERN SOUL.

Sounds good to me - when do we start ?.

Russ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!