Gino Washington Pressing Question

trd

Hi everybody,

I'm about to buy me a copy of 'I'll be around' by Gino Washington.

I have the option to cop a mint copy of either the Atac 102 demo, or the Mala 12029 one. Do you know which one is the better pressing (local issue is £50 more than the other)?

I figure that both are pressed on styrene, don't they?

Any info or help would be appreciated, thank you by advance.

Best

:hatsoff2:

Edited by trd
Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Thanks for all the infos.

As I have had bad experiences with styrene, I think I'll stay to my first option, getting the local Detroit Atac 45, as a matter of playing it out loud and still have a good sound.

Thank you, all the best.

Edited by trd
Social source share

I think there are 2 Atac pressings.

My WDJ is West Coast as it has Hollywood address. There's local Detroit Atac too.

ROD

Indeed Rod it came out twice on Atac, I've got it as Geno Washington

Atac 102 as Gino Washington, and

Atac SW7823 as Geno Washington with the Altrasonics and the Versatones (great backing groups names!)

steve

Social source share

Those Detroit Versatones were the same group that recorded for Motown in The early '60s (Smokey produced), and for Magic City afterwards. Yes, Gino had some of his Atac Records pressed in LA in the '70s. I wonder if he moved there for a couple years?

The Altrasonics were Gino's touring band (musicians). The Versatones were the male vocal back-up group. He also had a female back-up group in 1963-64 (Amon/Wand Records), The Rochelles. At that time, The Atlantics were his touring band.

cheers for the info Robb, regarding Altrasonics & Versatones, didnt know Versatones were at Motown,did they have any releases under another name there? (know there's no releases under that name at Motown)

...always wondered bout the extended credits on the 2nd release on Atac.

steve

Social source share

cheers for the info Robb, regarding Altrasonics & Versatones, didnt know Versatones were at Motown,did they have any releases under another name there? (know there's no releases under that name at Motown)

...always wondered bout the extended credits on the 2nd release on Atac.

steve

There were no vinyl releases, but three of their unreleased 1963 cuts (all produced by Smokey) have been released on "Cellarful of Motown": "Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde", "Company Time" and "I Could Make A Million". You'd probably not care much about them. they are all sung and orchestrated in a "neo-Doowop" style. they sound more like 1959 Tamla Records than 1963. That's one reason why our boss refused to allow them to be slated for release on Motown's "From The Vaults" series.

Social source share

There were no vinyl releases, but three of their unreleased 1963 cuts (all produced by Smokey) have been released on "Cellarful of Motown": "Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde", "Company Time" and "I Could Make A Million". You'd probably not care much about them. they are all sung and orchestrated in a "neo-Doowop" style. they sound more like 1959 Tamla Records than 1963. That's one reason why our boss refused to allow them to be slated for release on Motown's "From The Vaults" series.

Thanx Robb, appreciate the info

steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!