2011 Soulsource Awards ?

What would you like to award based on the last year ?

You can make your own up if you would like to play it willpass time by next week when we are all sat at work waiting for the escape hatch to open :)

Examples

Best New Soul night 2011

Best New Nighter 2011

Best Venue Award 2011

Most promising new Dj

Best art work on flyers

Best 45 heard this year ( this can be old or new)

Best Live act seen this year

Bucket list - Live Act you would like to see ?

Most amusing thread on the internet EVER ! ..... tell us about it !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Examples

Best New Soul night 2011

For me the award has to go to "Grumpy Soul" it was so nice to see the organisation behind the event be truly Gobsmacked at the amount of people thatturned up and supported the event. Many faces we had never seen before , musically it was so inspiring.

Best New Nighter 2011

This one I don't feel equipt to give an award for as I don't do that many of them to feel I can make a valid choice

Best Venue Award 2011

The venue that bowled me over was the Floral Hall , it was an immacculate dancefloor , everything about the event was professional . I liked the fact that there was security on stage .

Most promising new Dj

I am going to give this to two people who I recentely saw spin as a Duo , quite often we focus on well known established spinners when we hand out praise , I am going to praise two guys that put such great sets together as individuals but can also create something really special as a team and that is Pat Bleasdale and Wigan Paul. Both have superb collections , they have stuff that is "out of the box" innovative , that often inspires , they are not showy about what they have got , in fact they don't really advertise/boast , both appear very humble and really do deserve much more praise than they get.

Best art work on flyers

This has to go to Maria O , the Boomerang flyers are the sort of artwork you would want to hang on your wall

For me it has to be Terri Mathews " Round and Round" on Preview

The last time a record got me so obsessed about trying to get more information on an unknown artist was the Grey Imprint , for me this sound is out there , on its own , on another level. Add to that the fab story behind how Preview records would get jingles from unknown writers and then attach a backing track , sometimes often the same backing with unknown artists , it makes an amazing tale , and there are so many missing matrix numbers !

I could kick myself for missing the Impressions !

I would like to see Incognito again , and the Bahama Soul Club in Havana :)

Old KTF days , the Queen Vic pub thread , along with Your most embarrasing moments , Plus quite recenely being told about the guy in the fashionable clothes on the Floral Hall thread " thinking" I said he took drugs when I mentioned he may have been into Cyberdog Gear .... me meaning Cyberdog Clothes lol

Edited by Carms
Social source share

Examples

Best New Soul night 2011

For me the award has to go to "Grumpy Soul" it was so nice to see the organisation behind the event be truly Gobsmacked at the amount of people thatturned up and supported the event. Many faces we had never seen before , musically it was so inspiring.

Best New Nighter 2011

This one I don't feel equipt to give an award for as I don't do that many of them to feel I can make a valid choice

Best Venue Award 2011

The venue that bowled me over was the Floral Hall , it was an immacculate dancefloor , everything about the event was professional . I liked the fact that there was security on stage .

Most promising new Dj

I am going to give this to two people who I recentely saw spin as a Duo , quite often we focus on well known established spinners when we hand out praise , I am going to praise two guys that put such great sets together as individuals but can also create something really special as a team and that is Pat Bleasdale and Wigan Paul. Both have superb collections , they have stuff that is "out of the box" innovative , that often inspires , they are not showy about what they have got , in fact they don't really advertise/boast , both appear very humble and really do deserve much more praise than they get.

Best art work on flyers

This has to go to Maria O , the Boomerang flyers are the sort of artwork you would want to hang on your wall

For me it has to be Terri Mathews " Round and Round" on Preview

The last time a record got me so obsessed about trying to get more information on an unknown artist was the Grey Imprint , for me this sound is out there , on its own , on another level. Add to that the fab story behind how Preview records would get jingles from unknown writers and then attach a backing track , sometimes often the same backing with unknown artists , it makes an amazing tale , and there are so many missing matrix numbers !

I could kick myself for missing the Impressions !

I would like to see Incognito again , and the Bahama Soul Club in Havana :)

Old KTF days , the Queen Vic pub thread , along with Your most embarrasing moments , Plus quite recenely being told about the guy in the fashionable clothes on the Floral Hall thread " thinking" I said he took drugs when I mentioned he may have been into Cyberdog Gear .... me meaning Cyberdog Clothes lol

Got to agree on the DJ's!! :yes::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

You can make your own up if you would like to play it willpass time by next week when we are all sat at work waiting for the escape hatch to open :)

Examples

Best New Soul night 2011

Best New Nighter 2011

Best Venue Award 2011

Most promising new Dj

Best art work on flyers

The person who has made the most money out of the Soul Scene

Social source share

it wasnt a trick question and why mention the soul police who DONT EXIST ! I was hoping to get a decent answer but alas its joke source as usuall ! No wonder people dont contribute on here.

How is Carms best gonna tell you Toad, by listing tracks??? how many would she have to list... ?? not sure what answer you were after mate???

Looks good with just nominations, the rest is left up to us, maybe a dj to try catch out live if we wish..

Event... Hamburg soul weekend...The two niters and the all day Saturday event..... plus 6 hours on the boat and the after party... Quality soul, djs and organisation...

djs... Pat Bleasdale and Gospel Bob, Soulful Jules a few that spring to mind for me....

Tune... Fred Williams "tell her", spun by Big George and Lars out live..

Maybe more to add but i have trouble in the memory department as many know...

Goood thread Carms... This kind of topic can give us new venues, djs and tunes to track down... Ilike it!

Edited by little-stevie
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Add to that the fab story behind how Preview records would get jingles from unknown writers and then attach a backing track , sometimes often the same backing with unknown artists , it makes an amazing tale , and there are so many missing matrix numbers !

I don't know that particular record but Preview was a label set up to publish 'song poems', you wrote a song, send it to Preview with your cheque, and they would turn it into a record, there's a documentary called Off The Charts - The Song Poem Story, which features a good interview with Rodd Keith's son and he tells all about Preview records.

Social source share

Best New Soul night 2011

Only new one for me this year was Grumpy Soul

Best New Nighter 2011

Only new one for me this year was Bolton All Niter

Best Venue Award 2011

Hmm...tough one, but has to go to Heywood Civic

Most promising new Dj

Pass

Best art work on flyers

Pass

Too many to mention

Never go to Live Acts :no:

Lee Evans

Thats it for me

Social source share

Examples from Dthe DRUG :ohmy:

Best New Soul night 2011

Best New Nighter 2011

Best Venue/Event Award 2011...TORCH 11. The final part of the trilogy, that payed homage to the TORCH, This anal event in my opinion had all the original ingredients that have dispersal from the click scene that seems to now exist, The bench mark for promoters in 2012, is based on the 3 TORCH events, That have now come to the end. the #1 ingredients was a true spirit of fraternal happiness and an ambiance that money doesn't buy, and with only 1 incident of EGO TRIPPIN, by 1 DJ, It was a truly must attend event, thanks to all involved, punters & organizers :thumbup: EXCELLENT

Most promising new DJ The return of HARPO!

Best art work on flyers ?

Best 45 heard this year ( this can be old or new) So many, see the thread I started in "from out of the box-record of the day"

Best Live act seen this year- Apart from my return? and I never saw a live act, I would give the award to TED MASSY who has reached the TOP of the RARE SOUL DJ status since i last herd him 3 years ago, his spot at the VIC REUNION was exceptional.

Bucket list - Live Act you would like to see ? OTIS REDDING RIP

COCKNEY REDS! What a laugh/
Social source share

I don't know that particular record but Preview was a label set up to publish 'song poems', you wrote a song, send it to Preview with your cheque, and they would turn it into a record, there's a documentary called Off The Charts - The Song Poem Story, which features a good interview with Rodd Keith's son and he tells all about Preview records.

Thanks Pete I found the story of Preview facinating , loads of the stuff Rodd Keith put out was not very good , I asked Flynny about Terri , and he told me he went through loads of Preview stuff but didn't know Terri either , so I think she is an unknown. Also at that time Terri Thornton sang for that label and its a well known fact they used to quite often change their surnames when recording.... all facinating stuff if you have a few hours to Kill.

Social source share

How is Carms best gonna tell you Toad, by listing tracks??? how many would she have to list... ?? not sure what answer you were after mate???

Looks good with just nominations, the rest is left up to us, maybe a dj to try catch out live if we wish..

Event... Hamburg soul weekend...The two niters and the all day Saturday event..... plus 6 hours on the boat and the after party... Quality soul, djs and organisation...

djs... Pat Bleasdale and Gospel Bob, Soulful Jules a few that spring to mind for me....

Tune... Fred Williams "tell her", spun by Big George and Lars out live..

Maybe more to add but i have trouble in the memory department as many know...

Goood thread Carms... This kind of topic can give us new venues, djs and tunes to track down... Ilike it!

A lot of truth written there!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest BintofSoul

Not that anyone needs to justify their choice Toad , this isn't the soul police , basically a superb collection means .... one that I personally appreciate , it might not suit you , but it suits me

I agree. It's subjective! Have a lovely Christmas Carms.

XXX

Social source share

Best New Soul night 2011

Only new one for me this year was Grumpy Soul

Best New Nighter 2011

Only new one for me this year was Bolton All Niter

Best Venue Award 2011

Hmm...tough one, but has to go to Heywood Civic

Most promising new Dj

Pass

Best art work on flyers

Pass

Too many to mention

Never go to Live Acts :no:

Lee Evans

Thats it for me

Cheque's int' post mate :shhh:

Tony

Social source share

best new night

different strokes

best new dj

Gumbo ya ya, matty hill or rich penrith.

best new spin, that'd change every day but at the moment, I go for

masterkeys- i done gone on the right road from adam T's CD I got last weekend, freaking awesome!!!!!

...gonna have to get a life/opinion :D ---agree with all the above

Social source share

can we have an award for best punter on the scene, stalwart characters who support venues come what may and travel some serious distance in the proccess, some suggestions from me wouid be, Rob Smith, roddy from scotland, Will West from Carlisle and Tabs and Trev Wright from oxfordshire, oh and they dont have to be male, how about Sharon Smith, and the soulgirl- Karen. Punters are really what its all about after all. I'm sure there's loads more, please forgive me if I've missed you.

Edited by geeselad
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest proudlove

What a good thread.......I am shite at tunes so..........got to agree with Dave about the Torch revivals.....kinnell what good nights.....tunes .....Steve listen to this......remember nowt in the morning.....personalities.....everybody who contributes.....Listened to Dave and Nige on Stafford AM....Statler and Waldorf.....you dont do a bad job yourself Carmen....Nighter has got to be Radcliffe.........something for everyone......

Social source share

worst artwork on flyers - got to be mine from the nuneaton coop

always late and slightly ashamed when i put mine out against all the nice glossy ones

at least they stand out lol

Hey man, I'm a digital/graphic artist by trade (mostly working for a large fizzy drinks corp), as a favour, I'm pretty sure I could run you something cool up next you've got a promotion on, what do you supply the printer, Photoshop/illustrator files?

Aid

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!