Barbara Jean And The Lyrics On Big Hit

boba

I just compared all 3 versions. The worst is the Thelma Lindsey -- while still good, her voice is sort of "blah" and she sort of sounds thrown over a backing track. Cynthia has a really nice voice but it's in Barbara's voice works better with the track. On the Cynthia and Thelma versions, the backing voices are mixed higher but on the Barbara version there is more actual harmony.

Social source share

Not for sale I'm afraid Bob but here's a scan of mine for the details etc. (without checking I think the writing credits are different)

Cheers

Richard

Indeed they are different. Ernest Burt and Timmy Shaw are listed on the Big Hit. But Timmy Shaw's real name is John Hammonds (which appears on the Blue Rock version (that clears up one difference)). But P. Williams is added to the Blue Rock version. Anyone know who P. Williams is?

Social source share

Indeed they are different. Ernest Burt and Timmy Shaw are listed on the Big Hit. But Timmy Shaw's real name is John Hammonds (which appears on the Blue Rock version (that clears up one difference)). But P. Williams is added to the Blue Rock version. Anyone know who P. Williams is?

Phyllis M Williams

don't ask me who she is though

Social source share

Well spotted that man RobbK :thumbsup:

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

I had forgotten to look on the Magic City version. It has Williams as well. I wonder why her name is off the Big Hit? I think that's the latter release of the three. Might she have sold off her rights by then, for a cash sum?

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Very intresting reading. One of those records you whip out at home, when one is having a period of northern soul regression. As discussed a cracking double sider which many will "keep safe" in the collection. Some years ago JM auctioned a copy for £350 ....... :ohmy:

One often wonders if Barbara Jean ever recorded, or did Barbara perform under any other titled name or group. Her sound voice sounds familiar on these earlier Big Hit recorded sounds and the Odex release. Barbara and Brenda maybe?

Just out of interest the Big Hit 107 was released twice, with the same two songs of which both songs shared reverse top side and flip sides. Not seen one with Why Weren't You There recorded on both sides on the same record as post 9 by Dave or is it as described, do you mean as the below paragraph Dave ?

Barbara Jean and the Lyrics................as below

Any Two Can Play It / Why Weren't you There (Big Hit 107) £400.00

Why Weren't You There / Any Two Can Play It (Big Hit 107) £350.00

Why ? One would guess the first one on the above list at £400 is the first release or harder to acquire. Does that one also have a red label and the same design or text copy, or is it spray tan orange as the u tube clip in post 3..........................umm :g: .

Thanks.

Nick :thumbsup: .

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Very intresting reading. One of those records you whip out at home, when one is having a period of northern soul regression. As discussed a cracking double sider which many will "keep safe" in the collection. Some years ago JM auctioned a copy for £350 ....... :ohmy:

One often wonders if Barbara Jean ever recorded, or did Barbara perform under any other titled name or group. Her sound voice sounds familiar on these earlier Big Hit recorded sounds and the Odex release. Barbara and Brenda maybe?

Just out of interest the Big Hit 107 was released twice, with the same two songs of which both songs shared reverse top side and flip sides. Not seen one with Why Weren't You There recorded on both sides on the same record as post 9 by Dave or is it as described, do you mean as the below paragraph Dave ?

Barbara Jean and the Lyrics................as below

Any Two Can Play It / Why Weren't you There (Big Hit 107) £400.00

Why Weren't You There / Any Two Can Play It (Big Hit 107) £350.00

Why ? One would guess the first one on the above list at £400 is the first release or harder to acquire. Does that one also have a red label and the same design or text copy, or is it spray tan orange as the u tube clip in post 3..........................umm :g: .

Thanks.

never thought about it like that nick. my second copy came from neil rushton. i got it from him a the ritz in manchester some years ago. he said he`d just got one that was stamped..i knew it hadnt been booted at all. it may well have come out twice with both being the `A` side at some point and repromotion copies could be stamped. can neil or anyone confirm this...my first copy was just a misspress with why wernt labels on both sides......sadly i dont have it at all now

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

never thought about it like that nick. my second copy came from neil rushton. i got it from him a the ritz in manchester some years ago. he said he`d just got one that was stamped..i knew it hadnt been booted at all. it may well have come out twice with both being the `A` side at some point and repromotion copies could be stamped. can neil or anyone confirm this...my first copy was just a misspress with why wernt labels on both sides......sadly i dont have it at all now

Interesting as it has never been booted, we can safely confirm that. So making the stamped copy authenticating and now good for hunting. When you say stamped Dave is that matrix stamped or "promo only" label stamped..................thanks.

Cheers.

Nick :D .

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

but daft enought to leave the jades lucky fella at £150 quid

dave

:D:lol: No surely not, if it's any comfort Dave .................. then you purchased the better record of the two in Barbara Jean :P:yes: .

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Thanks.

That was probably my copy, it had WWYT labels on both sides

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

you must have sold it 20 year ago darren unless it was a different copy with WWYT label on both sides.. surely there would have been a batch of these

It was definitely 2-3 years ago, sold Epsilons on Hem at the same time...

post-1832-0-23827900-1324413550_thumb.jp

Social source share

It was definitely 2-3 years ago, sold Epsilons on Hem at the same time...

i had a copy of WWYT label both sides from 1996 when i bought it from trev thomas and i sold it martin `rocky` hardcastle in about 1999 when i bought a `proper copy from neil rushton at the ritz. did you buy yours from rocky when he sold up?

dave

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

i had a copy of WWYT label both sides from 1996 when i bought it from trev thomas and i sold it martin `rocky` hardcastle in about 1999 when i bought a `proper copy from neil rushton at the ritz. did you buy yours from rocky when he sold up?

dave

I'd had it many years, think I got it at a Notts Palais all dayer going way back....

Edited by Awake 502
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!