Barbara Jean On Odex

Kris Holmes

• Replies 8
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'd guess that they were the same Louisiana based record label, owned by the same people. But there may have been a large time lapse between the operation periods of that label. I think that The Barbara Jean release was from 1964 or early 1965, and distributed nationally by VJ or Dart Distributors.. And The Premiers' record could have been released in the late '60s, or even in 1970 or 1971 (based on the label font and design). It seems to me that I've also seen a few other records on the latter incarnation of that label.

Social source share

The Earl King & Allen Orange credits on the Barbara Jean makes me think New Orleans for that one & the time period (early 60s) is right for the New Orleans operation but none of the credits match up with the other Odex stuff, it's a bit of a weird one when put agains the other later Odex 45s.

Edited by Kris Holmes
Social source share

But the fact that the later Odex is located in nearby Mississippi, leads me to believe that the owners are the same, and they re-opened their label again, a few years later (as had been done by Joe Von Battle with his JVB label, and VJ with their Abner subsidiary, and so many other labels (stopping operations for some years, and then starting up again). I think the similar name and really close locations is too much of a coincidence to be random.

Social source share

I think the similar name and really close locations is too much of a coincidence to be random.

these facts definitely weigh in on my reasoning for the connection, i'd love to know for sure though.....

i will leave it in the discography for now but with a question mark beside it.....

If it is Hines related it is really weird that he wouldn't have his name on the label somewhere......

Maybe it is just too early...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!