Tomangoes Band Info Please

Harry Crosby

GENO Washington (of The Ramjam Band) (the US Serviceman operating in England) was from Indiana. GINO Washington was from Detroit. Washpan was his record label. The Tomangoes sang backup to Gino on some cuts. I assume, however, that he was not an official member of their group.

Social source share

Bob Seger's band & Dusty Wilson on vocals, right?

I remember reading, somewhere, that Dusty Wilson was The Tomangoes' lead singer. I don't remember reading that the remainder of the vocals were Bob Seeger's Band. But, it rings a different bell. If I remember correctly, there were only two "Tomangoes, and, maybe Wilson sang lead recorded on one track, and the other member, Wilson and Gino Washington sang the backgrounds on another track. I think they were a studio group only, and didn't make appearances (unless it was the two singers plus an extra making appearances in Gino's shows. I seem to remember that the second singer was a known Detroit singer, as well.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

wasn't the name tomangoes suposed to be a kind of black code for white man goes like said quickly whitemangoes sounds like tomangoes as I'm sure Gino was/is a black activist some of the lines in some of his work e.g "don't hold me back because I'm black ." in the dubiously issued Rat Race .A term used (Rat Race ) to describe white people ? regards the elephant man.

Social source share

wasn't the name tomangoes suposed to be a kind of black code for white man goes like said quickly whitemangoes sounds like tomangoes as I'm sure Gino was/is a black activist some of the lines in some of his work e.g "don't hold me back because I'm black ." in the dubiously issued Rat Race .A term used (Rat Race ) to describe white people ? regards the elephant man.

I think the name had more to do with the movie 'Tamango'

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051049/

Social source share

sorry if you read my initial dickish response, but your post completely blows my mind

Edited by boba
Social source share

I remember reading, somewhere, that Dusty Wilson was The Tomangoes' lead singer. I don't remember reading that the remainder of the vocals were Bob Seeger's Band. But, it rings a different bell. If I remember correctly, there were only two "Tomangoes, and, maybe Wilson sang lead recorded on one track, and the other member, Wilson and Gino Washington sang the backgrounds on another track. I think they were a studio group only, and didn't make appearances (unless it was the two singers plus an extra making appearances in Gino's shows. I seem to remember that the second singer was a known Detroit singer, as well.

I'm getting my information from Keith Rylatt's 'Groovesville USA' book. It says the Gino Washington sewed together a backing track done by the Bob Seger band and a Dusty Wilson vocal. I'm unaware of the Tomangoe's doing anything else aside from Washpan 3125.

The b-side 'You've Been Gone So Long' was released as an instrumental on Washpan by the Randy Gibson Trio, but the vocalist on the Tomangoe's version sounds the same as whoever does 'I Really Love You.' Sort of a mysterious record?

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

sorry if you read my initial dickish response, but your post completely blows my mind

I didn't read your initial post but you won't offend me Boba I fully respect everyones views and if they conflict with mine I take it as a lesson ( every day's a day at school you know ) with full and due respect Simon.

Social source share

Don't know about your theory but there is a salad named tomango which as suggested in the name a blend of Tomato and Mango with lime juice added along with other ingredients.

Social source share

I didn't read your initial post but you won't offend me Boba I fully respect everyones views and if they conflict with mine I take it as a lesson ( every day's a day at school you know ) with full and due respect Simon.

thanks, I think me being a smartass offends some people and that's not my intention in general. have a good holiday.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Because they pluralized Tamango?

Hi Nick very acceptable in the world of the written English language but in the the world of hidden symbolism , in a country at a time of questionable human right's poluted with fear ? Regards Simon.

Social source share

Hi Nick very acceptable in the world of the written English language but in the the world of hidden symbolism , in a country at a time of questionable human right's poluted with fear ? Regards Simon.

I think you meant "polluted" Simon :P

pol·lute (pschwa.gif-loomacr.giftprime.gif)

tr.v. pol·lut·ed, pol·lut·ing, pol·lutes

To make unfit for or harmful to living things, especially by the addition of waste matter. See Synonyms at

To make less suitable for an activity, especially by the introduction of unwanted factors:
The stadium lights polluted the sky around the observatory.

To render impure or morally harmful; corrupt.
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I think you meant "polluted" Simon :P

pol·lute (pschwa.gif-loomacr.giftprime.gif)

tr.v. pol·lut·ed, pol·lut·ing, pol·lutes

To make unfit for or harmful to living things, especially by the addition of waste matter. See Synonyms at

To make less suitable for an activity, especially by the introduction of unwanted factors:
The stadium lights polluted the sky around the observatory.

To render impure or morally harmful; corrupt.

Hey man I've just had a smoke mate it's the best you'll get out of me tonite .rigads Symun.

Social source share

I doubt it's Dusty Wilson on vocals. Just played Tomangoes and a few Dusty tracks on Youtube, vocals are quite different IMO.

What was the source of the quote that Dusty Wilson was the lead singer (or only singer)? I've heard it from several sources, a few of whom are people who generally know what was going on in Detroit back in the day.

Social source share

I guess I'm getting senile. There is clearly only one singer on both sides. He sounds like he "COULD" be Dusty Wilson. Not spot on, but close enough to make it unclear that he ISN'T Wilson. Nobody remembers seeing The Tomangoes appear in Detroit. So, clearly, they must have been a "studio invention". With no background voices, I wonder why Washington chose to list a group name on the record (rather than just a made up single-artist name (IF that singer was under contract to another label at the time)?

Social source share

I guess I'm getting senile. There is clearly only one singer on both sides. He sounds like he "COULD" be Dusty Wilson. Not spot on, but close enough to make it unclear that he ISN'T Wilson. Nobody remembers seeing The Tomangoes appear in Detroit. So, clearly, they must have been a "studio invention". With no background voices, I wonder why Washington chose to list a group name on the record (rather than just a made up single-artist name (IF that singer was under contract to another label at the time)?

if there is a record with a single singer with no backing group where a group name is credited, it's usually the name of a band

Social source share

if there is a record with a single singer with no backing group where a group name is credited, it's usually the name of a band

Yes, I'm aware of that. The Atlantics were the first band that backed up Gino Washington. But, no Detroiters that we know of remember The Tomangoes as a back-up band. So, did Gino Washington just get hold of 2 of Bob Seeger's band tracks, and just have Dusty Wilson (or someone else) record vocals to them, and call them The Tomangoes? Why have several different sources (some of them usually reliable) stated that they had heard that it was Dusty Wilson singing at least one of those 2 recordings, if it IS, indeed, not Dusty Wilson? I don't remember any other connection of Gino Washington to Dusty Wilson. But, of course, the DetroitSoul recording community was relatively small, and almost everyone crossed almost everyone else's path one time or another. I don't see why they wouldn't have met.

Social source share

Isn't Ed Wolfrum still around? He commented on SDF a while back (maybe 2001 or 2002. Some SDF people had contact with him. Maybe we can ask him if he remembers who the singer was? Maybe Ralph, Russ or one of the other ex-Motown engineers might still talk to him. Of course, having engineered thousands of sessions, they usually can't remember details like that from 50 years previous.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Yes, I'm aware of that. The Atlantics were the first band that backed up Gino Washington. But, no Detroiters that we know of remember The Tomangoes as a back-up band. So, did Gino Washington just get hold of 2 of Bob Seeger's band tracks, and just have Dusty Wilson (or someone else) record vocals to them, and call them The Tomangoes? Why have several different sources (some of them usually reliable) stated that they had heard that it was Dusty Wilson singing at least one of those 2 recordings, if it IS, indeed, not Dusty Wilson? I don't remember any other connection of Gino Washington to Dusty Wilson. But, of course, the DetroitSoul recording community was relatively small, and almost everyone crossed almost everyone else's path one time or another. I don't see why they wouldn't have met.

I wasn't disputing your theories about whether it was a studio group or not, just responding to your comment about why there would be a group name on a record that only had a solo singer. thanks.

Social source share

I wasn't disputing your theories about whether it was a studio group or not, just responding to your comment about why there would be a group name on a record that only had a solo singer. thanks.

I hadn't thought you were disputing my theories. I am just bringing up questions about The Tomangoes' record, to see if anyone here knows the answers. From what source did the rumour that the backing tracks were from Bob Seeger's band come? I have heard that as well. I know that Gino Washington had connections to the "Detroit Garage Band Scene" as he played at a lot of Colleges and clubs with garage acts. that's how he connected with The Atlantics. He may well have met Bob Seeger that way. He may have leased the tracks from him. But, to me, the Washpan tracks sound more "Soulish" than any Bob Seeger cuts I've heard (A Squared and Cameo). Still, I don't rule anything out. Isn't Gino Washington still alive? If so, why doesn't someone contact him and write his difinitive bio?

Social source share

I hadn't thought you were disputing my theories. I am just bringing up questions about The Tomangoes' record, to see if anyone here knows the answers. From what source did the rumour that the backing tracks were from Bob Seeger's band come? I have heard that as well. I know that Gino Washington had connections to the "Detroit Garage Band Scene" as he played at a lot of Colleges and clubs with garage acts. that's how he connected with The Atlantics. He may well have met Bob Seeger that way. He may have leased the tracks from him. But, to me, the Washpan tracks sound more "Soulish" than any Bob Seeger cuts I've heard (A Squared and Cameo). Still, I don't rule anything out. Isn't Gino Washington still alive? If so, why doesn't someone contact him and write his difinitive bio?

Gino Washington is still around in Detroit and performing in the US.

Social source share

For me The Tomangoe's ticks every box I can think of that every northern record should have.

It's as good as it gets.

Roll this idea around in your head for a bit -

regardless of who is actually fronting the band - with a vocalist that good surely he went onto record other stuff after Washpan?

I doubt he'd have been happy as a background singer so it would have been lead vocal or nothing.

His vocals are quite distinctive and up untill this day I've never heard anybody ever say about a record "blimey that vocalist doesn't half sound like him in The Tomangoe's".

Maybe any other recordings by The Tomangoe's stayed locked in the can.

Imagine in your dreams if an unissued Washpan acetate turned up on Ebay in the near future.......

And whoes to say there aren't any tucked away somewhere in this big wide world?

derek

And bizarrely I don't think I've ever heard the flip side "You've Been Gone So Long" what's it like?

And didn't Gilly once get a couple o' copies of The Tomangoe's whilst hunting out an about in Detroit in the mid 80's?

Edited by Derek Pearson
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Gleaned this info from Norton Records. According to Gino Washington when asked about the Tomangoes, whom he described as "A self contained soul band led by guitarist Dusty Wilson" his recollection is as follows

"I knew the Tomangoes guys pretty well, as a matter of fact, Dusty lived around the block from me and they approsched me about doing some recording with them. He'd been singing for a while and he'd already had a few records out. We went into Pioneer Studios and did the two songs on them and they backed me on my record "What Can A Man Do"

Des Parker

Social source share

To back up what Des has said,

I was talking to Gino Washington about four years back about licencing some masters etc and we broached the subject of him and Dusty coming over to England to appear at Prestatyn. The deal proposed was for him to perform "Im So In Love With You", "Ooh Baby", "Like My Baby",I'll Be Around etc and Dusty Wilson would perfom "It's Going To Be A Tragedy", "Can't Do Without You", "Have Some Sympathy" then as a finale they would both perform "I Really Love You"

Dusty at the time wasn't in the best of health and no firm interest came back from the Prestatyn guys so it all just fizzled out, pity :(

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Don't start blind buying 45's made by Dusty Williams thinking you might find a NS gem .........

The main 'Dusty Williams' who recorded (for the likes of Boney Records through the 60's) is a hillbilly C&W style singer

..... AND .......... don't buy rekids by this Geno by mistake either .........

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

The UK based guy spells his name Geno Washington. George 'Gino' Washington, owner of Atac, Washpan & Perfecto amongst others is from Detroit.

Had several stories on The Tamangoes, have heard that Bob Seeger's band played the backing track, but not sure where from. Gino told me that Dusty was the lead singer and he (Gino) wrote and produced it. I was also told by Gino's sister that her husband was the other vocalist, but I don't have a name for him. Sadly the conversation was cut short by a phone call from Gino, when I was round her house. Gino say's he did not sing on the track in any way.

To take the Washington family tree a bit further, Gino's brother is Grady Washington who had a stunning 80's CD LP 'Lets be more than friends' on Hitz, then later released on Snowball, both supa hard to find. Gino's nephew is Keith Washington, who had much success in the 80's.

Last bit of trivia, is that Gwen Owens sang backing for some of Gino's 60's recordings, she can be heard on the intro and backing to 'Girl here I am' on Atac

As a PS, Gino for some reason or another is always very sketchy on the Tamangoes track when you speak to him. He has a fairly big ego and if I had to make a guess, I think it ercks him a bit that everyone want to talk to him about that rather than his own recordings.

Edited by Dave Thorley
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Last bit on the subject Gino Washington, also recorded as Sir George 'I lost you girl' on G&G. Grady Washington was also a member of the Purple Gang singing group, that had releases on Grade A in the 80's. They took their name from a notorious street gang that used to run on The West Side back in the day.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Last bit on the subject Gino Washington, also recorded as Sir George 'I lost you girl' on G&G. Grady Washington was also a member of the Purple Gang singing group, that had releases on Grade A in the 80's. They took their name from a notorious street gang that used to run on The West Side back in the day.

just to quibble: the Purple Gang was an EAST side gang during the prohibition era - they brought in whiskey from Canada & shipped it to Al Capone in Chicago.  I think the singing group were also east siders...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

ok, the information I got was from a member of Monofide who said 'the Purple Gang' lived 'one street over' or somesuch

the East Side has a long standing reputation for being 'rough' - I think there were 3 East Side neighborhoods in the 'Top Ten Worst Neighborhoods in the US'

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!