Stax/volt The Best Of The Companies Xover And Northern Soul Releases

Mick Sway

• Replies 131
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I have a M- copy on ebay, right now (along with 200 more soul auctions):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/360422821203?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Carla Thomas : Love Among People : Stax

more good ones from the Stax Volt / catalogue:

Circle O'Fire: Have It Your Way

The Leaders: Which Way

Inez Foxx: Crossing Over The Bridge

Ernie Hines: Electrified Love

William Bell: All I Need Is Your Love

Joe Hicks: Could It Be Love (LP track)

Soul Children: We're Getting To Close (LP track)

Joni Wilson: (Let Hurt Put You in The) Looser's Seat

Social source share

Joni Wilson - alternate version/title of Parliaments ,"All your goodies".Here to help.

And it is The Parliaments "All Your Goodies" as the backing track, with Joni singing isn't it?

Anybody know anything about Joni Wilson? Manship site says it was Joyce Vincent Wilson who was in the group Dawn. Is that definitely true?

Social source share

And it is The Parliaments "All Your Goodies" as the backing track, with Joni singing isn't it?

Anybody know anything about Joni Wilson? Manship site says it was Joyce Vincent Wilson who was in the group Dawn. Is that definitely true?

Re Joni Wilson: I found this thread here which might be helpfull, the archive for this blog is here.

THE CHARMELS... AS LONG AS I'VE GOT YOU

For anyone interested in a thread on Charlene & the Soul Serenaders click

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Put this up on the other thread but it is relative to this one

EDDIE FLOYD - NEVER MET A GIRL - STAX

Love it :yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS5G5AajxH0

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

Always liked this.

One of those covered by many artists, I know of versions by:

Booker T (co writer), The Mad Lads, Ollie and the Nightingales,William DeVougn,Esther Philips,Al Green, Joseph Henry & The Mighty Imperials, Sunny & the Sunliners, Clem Curtis (the Foundations), The Friends of Distinction, Marvin Holmes & the Uptites and Tyrone Davis, I guess that there must be many more.

Ollie & The Nightingales - I've Never Found A Girl

I've Never Found A Girl - The Mad Lads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSEYIN5SjPM

A couple of the more unusual versions:

The The Friends of Distinction is a great version:

Clem Curtis (the Foundations):

Social source share

Re Joni Wilson: I found this thread here which might be helpfull, the archive for this blog is here.

THE CHARMELS... AS LONG AS I'VE GOT YOU

For anyone interested in a thread on Charlene & the Soul Serenaders click

Thanks Mick re that Joni Wilson thread on Soul Detective - that was actually Red Kelly taking up my original question (with my blessing) that I had posted on my blog a few years ago now! Red usually gets a lot of response to his "burning questions" but in this instance there was virtually no response at all.

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

Cant see the embedded youtube links, so apologies for duplications, but here are a few that I love, although some might not be really crossover......

Rance Allen - There Gonna Be A Showdown - Truth

Little Milton - I'm Living Off The Love You Give - Stax

Rance Allen - Up Above My Head - Truth

Johnnie Taylor - Love In The Streets (Ain't Good As The Love At Home) - Stax

William Bell - A Smile Can't Hide (A Broken Heart) - Stax

Mel & Tim - Don't Mess With My Money, My Honey Or My Woman - Stax

L V Johnson - Don't Mess With My Money, My Honey Or My Woman - Volt

Mel & Tim - Free For All - Stax

Eddie Floyd - I Am So Greatful - Stax

Eddie Floyd - I'm So Glad I Met You - Stax (flip of the above)

David Porter - I'm A Tellin' You - Enterprise

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Kent's latest Stax/Volt compilation slipped out without my noticing, though I dare say that it's been featured on Soulsource somewhere.

The CD ,Nobody Wins-Stax Southern Soul 1968-75,includes many of the great tracks from this thread

plus a number of previously unreleased items including The Charmells, Charlene & the Soul Serenaders,Sylivia & the Blue Jays and Calvin Scott's great version of I Never found a girl,

Click here for a review, track listing and samples.

Got my order in tonight.

Mick

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

OK so I'll try to keep this going,

Anyway I came across this beautiful mid tempo Kim Weston tune recently, on which Ronnie McNair shares co-writing credits.

Too slow for most I guess, but it's a perfect vehicle for Kim's lovely voice:

Tis a cracker Mick! one of Kim's B sides that had slipped me by until now! Thanx for sharin' it mate :thumbsup:

steve

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL .... As the STAX LABEL, Was the label of proper soul, when I left school in 1967 and one of my 1st records that Io got was Eddie Floyd's classic 'things get better', what a great record, I can recall being at the BOWES LYONN CENTRE in Stevenage New Town, (as featured in the film, here we go round the mulberry bush) in fact I will get around to places like Stevenage and how this London over spill new town was so influential on MOD culture, that it even get credits on the back sleeve of the WHO'S QUADRAPHINIA, many bands like the WHO KINKS SMALL FACES and all types such as GENO. JIMMY JAMES, and it's music policy was very close to the TILES CLUB & FLAMINGO,

The most impressive part of going to 'BOWES' and may surprise some of you, this was just the YOUTH CLUB, one of the regular DJ Freddie Mac, who also used to DJ at the KAYSER BONDOR BLUE ROOM,

in BALDOCK again being to young but my elder sister orig MOD girl, saw many top groups their including the ROLLING STONES for 5/6d, SO IT;S A MOD MOD MOD MOD WORLD,

Getting back to this thread, UK STAX is a great label to collect if you like soul, and on my shelf along with all the other Cd's that never get played, I found this set of 6, titled STAX CHARTBUSTER Vol 1-6

And they have a price of 2 x £5 on the back, there is an excellent set of records on them , as I have all the UK RELEASES From the BLUE STAX, EMI STAX. AND BACK TO POLYDOR, THE CD SET IS well worth picking up

Before I forget a great bloke who used to pest me for GREEN & BLUE DEMOS from MOTOWN and the RED DEMO AND THE PURPLEISH STAX DEMOS back in 1977, he must of been the 1st to have all off them at the time, this great bloke was NEV WHERRY, if you got know NEV you will no his passion for collecting UK records, I still miss the man, but never forget him NEV.er! :ohmy: DAVE

post-13241-0-85518200-1335347712_thumb.jpost-13241-0-23152800-1335347732_thumb.jpost-13241-0-43784800-1335347655_thumb.j

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Dave Turner

Mick, that Kim Weston "Gonna Be Alright" is class .... nice one mate :thumbsup:

On Stax/Volt sub Truth

Newcomers - The Whole World's A Picture Show

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now