Deep Soul Rarities, Northern Indemanders And Funky Dancefloor Burners. All With Sound + Scans

Diggin' Dave

I'm back after a quiet period with a selection of some of the best stuff I found during the last months. All under £200 so hopefully you should have a wee bit of cash left for the christmas shooping after you've gone through the list :wink:

Shipping for any number of records to anywhere in the world is £5.

If you want to buy a tune, hear a soundfile of the flipside or want a better description of condition PM or mail to diggindave (at) hotmail (dot) com. First person who PM's or mails gets it.

Got some more stuff on my eBay page: https://stores.ebay.com/Diggin-Dave-45s

I've reduced a lot of the 45s in my store so there's a few bargains to be had. I can combine with online sales too to save on shipping.

Survivors - Good baby / Horny toad - Valli 333

Brilliant obscure seventies soul from Indiana. Picking up interest around the globe. Very clean copy.

£200

survivorsgoodbaby.jpgsurvivorshorny.jpg

DivShare File - Survivors - Good baby.mp3

The Countdowns - Creative soul / Memory theme - Apollo 71669

Virtually impossible to find funk instrumental with a massive drum break. Looks excellent apart from one larger mark NAP.

£150

countdownscreative.jpgcountdowns2.jpg

DivShare File - The Countdowns - Creative soul.mp3

The Charmels - As long as I've got you / Baby come and get it - Volt 155

Classic sample and one of the very best on the label. Scuffy surface and background noise never overpowering the music.

£130

charmelslong.jpgcharmelsbaby.jpg

DivShare File - The Charmels - As long as I_ve got you.mp3

Tobi Lark - I'll steal your heart / Talk to an angel - Palmer 5000

Killer Detroit northern and her very best release (although that's very debatable). Visually only VG but benefits from a strong press and plays very well.

£125

tobilarksteal.jpgtobilarktalk.jpg

DivShare File - Tobi Lark - I_ll steal your heart.mp3

Kenny Gamble - Standing in the shadows / No mail on Monday - Epic 9636 DJ Copy

Very clean rare soul/popcorn rarity. One of his best imo.

£120

kennygamblestanding.jpgkennygamblemail.jpg

DivShare File - Kenny Gamble - Standing in the shadows.mp3

The Jay Walkers - I got my own thing goin / I do - Selsom 110 DJ Copy HOLD

Uptempo blue-eyed dancer in excellent nick.

£100

jaywalkersgot.jpgjaywalkersdo.jpg

DivShare File - The Jay Walkers - I got my own thing goin.mp3

Thee Chekkers - Lack of love / Please don't go - Look 5013

Still vastly underplayed sixite soul. Excellent copy.

£100

theechekkerslack.jpgtheechekkersplease.jpg

DivShare File - Thee Chekkers - Lack of love.mp3

Bobby Strickland - After all I'm still in love with you / The girl that I love - Brother Love

Atlanta, Georgia dancer with a sought-after deep flip. Visually VG and flipside plays with background noise but 'After all'-side plays above grade.

£100

bobbystricklandafter.jpgbobbystricklandgirl.jpg

DivShare File - Bobby Strickland - After all I_m still in.mp3

Soulations - Come on that's love baby / Will you be mine - Cei 126

Largely unknown uptempo blue-eyed dancer with a quality deep flip. Looks very clean apart from a very slight warp not affecting play at all.

£100

soulationscome.jpgsoulationswill.jpg

DivShare File - Soulations - Come on thats love baby.mp3

Edited by Diggin' Dave
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 8
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Intensive Heat - Keep an eye on your close friend / Intensive heat - Soul Mate 001

Quality private sweet soul 45 with funky flip. Looks barely played but plays with a bit of crackle in places due to the pressing.

£80

intesiveheateye.jpgintesiveheat2.jpg

DivShare File - Intensive Heat - Keep an eye on your clos.mp3

Shirley Lawson - So much to me / Sad sad day - Enterprise 5040

Two highly recommended sides for the price of one. Scuffy surface bit plays a lot better than it looks.

£75

shirleylawsonmuch.jpgshirleylawsonsad.jpg

DivShare File - Shirley Lawson - So much to me.mp3

Wade Bros Cro-Shade Sounds - Hip breaker Pt I/II - Vanessa 483-17

Seriously tough to find funk dancer with some crisp breaks. Vinyl shows marks and has a warp but plays through very nicely as you can hear.

£75

wadebroship1.jpgwadebroship2.jpg

DivShare File - Wade Bros - Hip breaker Pt I.mp3

Deanie Parker - My imaginary guy / Until you return - Volt 1087

Beautiful sixties slowie with top vocals and production. Looks and plays excellent.

£75

deanieparkerimaginary.jpgdeanieparkerreturn.jpg

DivShare File - Deanie Parker - My imaginary guy.mp3

Silk & Satin - Sad girl / You got to be the one - Hamilton 502

Bittersweet pivate Cali 45. Looks clean apart from some very slight superficial storage marks.

£75

silksatinsad.jpgsilksatingot.jpg

DivShare File - Silk _ Satin - Sad girl.mp3

The Natural Resources - Nothing lasts forever / If there's a tomorrow - Dee Dee 1003

Sought-after funky Cali dancer. Few very slightly audible marks and a warp NAP.

£70

naturalresourcesnothing.jpgnaturalresources2.jpg

DivShare File - The Natural Resources - Nothing lasts for.mp3

The Exportations - I want you / Find another day - Vir-Ro 1001 HOLD

Detroit modern that probably needs no introduction. Full luster but some marks audible here and there.

£60

exportationswant.jpgexportationsfind.jpg

DivShare File - The Exportations - I want you.mp3

Edited by Diggin' Dave
Social source share

Mary Jane Hooper - Harper Valley PTA / That's how strong love is - Power 2051

Beautiful first label release of this funky Nola double-sider. Clean part from some minor storage marks.

£60

maryjanehooperharper.jpgmaryjanehooperstrong.jpg

DivShare File - Mary Jane Hooper - Harper Valley PTA.mp3

Marva Whitney - What do I have to do / Your love was good for me - King 6202

Usual quality from the 'James Brown' productions with crisp horns and drums to match a furious sister funk vocal. Some scattered marks but plays nicely.

£55

marvwhitneywhat.jpgmarvawhitneyyourlove.jpg

DivShare File - Marva Whitney - What do I have to do.mp3

Mickie Michaels - Where love starts / You never called - King Productions 1004

Rare as hens teeth mid-tempo eighties 45. Looks excellent but plays with smight noise in places because of a weaker press.

£50

mickiemichaelswhere.jpgmickiemichaelscalled.jpg

DivShare File - Mickie Michaels - Where love starts.mp3

Billy Joy And The Verdicts - One twenty one / When you cry - Hope 558

Very rare novelty uptempo dancer. Looks and plays excellent.

£40

billyjoy121.jpgbillyjoywhen.jpg

DivShare File - Billy Joy And The Verdicts - One twenty o.mp3

Edited by Diggin' Dave
Social source share

Updated the info on the Natural Resources, for some reason I was convinced this was a Chicago thing... and I've removed the J.J. Armstead from the list for further clarification, will post this up in 'look at your box' together with a few other strange things I found over the years.

J.J. Armstead - Stumblin block, stepping stones / J. Rowles - That wonderful sound - Conditional 1000

Absolute top tune and virtually impossible to find on this label. Some marks and slight loss of luster but still very enjoyable.

Any more info on this one would be greatly appreciated!

jjarmsteadstumblin.jpgjjarmstead2.jpg

DivShare File - J_J_ Armstead - Stumblin block_ steppin s.mp3

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

natural resources is la not chicago.

What do you think that bizarre label for the jo armstead is? Some sort of bootleg? Or something pressed for some other specific purpose. weird.

Looks like some kind of New York pressed 'special' for Island Soul collectors, Bob (and Dave).

'That Wonderful Sound' is a UK recording by New Zealand-born singer John Rowles. That song was a massive seller in Jamaica in a local vocal recording by Dobby Dobson on Success Records, and also an instrumental by Ossie Scott on the same label. There was also a big selling reggae cover of 'Stumbling Blocks... by Kim Harriott on Wild Flower.

All of that would seem to support my theory!

Social source share

Looks like some kind of New York pressed 'special' for Island Soul collectors, Bob (and Dave).

'That Wonderful Sound' is a UK recording by New Zealand-born singer John Rowles. That song was a massive seller in Jamaica in a local vocal recording by Dobby Dobson on Success Records, and also an instrumental by Ossie Scott on the same label. There was also a big selling reggae cover of 'Stumbling Blocks... by Kim Harriott on Wild Flower.

makes sense to me

Social source share

Cool, will drop a zero from my price then :wink: Thanks for spitting thaty out btw Tony, I would've never in my life come up with that connection. I've always been wondering why anyone would want to boot this since there was never too much demand for it on any scene (and because I thought the flipside was pretty mediocre).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!