Most Bizarrely Pressed Record I've Ever Seen

Pete S

The Attractions. Destination You / Find Me. Canadian Bell. Label.s Reversed And Botn Side.s Play Instrumental.s, Is There Any Information On This One Please. Thank,s All The Best. Alan.

Just got a copy of this in the last week. When you listen to the tracks with the vocals on, the spotlight's very much on Morris Chestnut's wonderful tones and in some respects he overshadows the supporting arrangements. Listening to them without his voice and you can't help but notice just how rich and well produced the backing tracks for both cuts really are. :thumbup:

Social source share

In the sixties i looked everywhere for a copy of Gene Chandler Such a pretty thing imports where really hard to get at the time,eventually picked one up on a market stall in Leeds,it's got correct labels on both sides run out groove reads AM-1290 1A still got it.Got home and put it on deck and this is what it plays

https://www.divshare.com/direct/20925293-31e.mp3

Bloody gutted at the time,but have thought about passing it to a DJ and asking them to play it,but that would be cruel

Edited by smudger
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest damsko020

this was how it was pressed:

post-28074-0-58396300-1353579258_thumb.j

i imagine it was friday afternoon:

-boss?

-yea?

-i'm 1 label short, what should i do?

-well, take this one out of the bin & use it then...

Social source share

In the sixties i looked everywhere for a copy of Gene Chandler Such a pretty thing imports where really hard to get at the time,eventually picked one up on a market stall in Leeds,it's got correct labels on both sides run out groove reads AM-1290 1A still got it.Got home and put it on deck and this is what it plays

https://www.divshare.com/direct/20925293-31e.mp3

Bloody gutted at the time,but have thought about passing it to a DJ and asking them to play it,but that would be cruel

I'm listening to that track now and think it's great fun - a wild glockenspiel version of Ghost Riders in the Sky! I can just imagine the reaction if you managed to get someone to play this out unwittingly. Brilliant! :lol::thumbup:

Social source share

this was how it was pressed:

post-28074-0-58396300-1353579258_thumb.j

i imagine it was friday afternoon:

-boss?

-yea?

-i'm 1 label short, what should i do?

-well, take this one out of the bin & use it then...

broken labels happen pretty often. the worst is when the label makes it into the playing grooves

• Helpful 1
Social source share

post-1893-0-04229000-1324396850_thumb.jp

Can anyone beat this for a mis-pressing Dave Edmunds Rockpile - I'm Comin' Home - Regal Zonophone RZ 3032 Same label on both sides for a start!

Side 1 actually plays MARVIN GAYE - SAVE THE CHILDREN (Tamla Motown TMG 796)

Side 2 actually plays THE CONGREGATION - SOFTLY WHISPERING I LOVE YOU (Columbia 8830)

The Applejacks B side to "You've Been Cheatin" has a different tune that the one that's printed on the label. Label says "That's How It's Gonna Stay" was "Love was in my eyes".

Social source share

Some copies of "Bopping In The Barnyard" by The Bubbles on Duke (the Melodisc subsidiary, not the Trojan one) play "Rockin' Crickets" by the Hot Toddys. The slip-up apparently happened because Pye pressed up some of Melodisc's 45s, and had just pressed the Hot Toddys' 45 on Pye International. Must have forgotten to replace the stampers for the initial batch of pressings.

Social source share

have only seen photos, and the exact record escapes me at the moment, but the best and most bizarre I've seen was a rare jamaican 45 where a red stripe cap had been pressed into the deadwax/label area. still miraculously played fine, and the seller did end up selling it for quite a bit. :huh::ohmy:

must've been a few too many spliffs shared on that lunch break.

Social source share

bought a copy of william devaughn `thankful` on uk chelsea from the market as a kid only to get it home and find the a side played some popcountry track about the fourth of july..never did find out what that was

just been doin a little homework on the william devaugn misspress i had,,,, the a side played john christie 4th of july...which turns out to be a rare 45 written by paul mcartney but not recorded by mcartney himself... christie was an aussie pop singer who had a uk xmas hit with heres to love a couple of years later..his records are worthless.................apart from this one :glare: ,,,shame i chucked it int bin

https://www.popsike.c...4849452906.html

moral of the story is if you see any copies of william devaughn kickin about on the markets..just buy em you never know what it may play

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Here's one that turned up for me whilst adding a few discs to my Mary Hopkin music collection :D :

post-7608-0-51789200-1354654741_thumb.jp

Mary Hopkin "Goodbye" Apple 10 from 1969

If you look close at run out grooves its actually stamped TMG 686 which is Marvin Gaye "I heard it through the Grapevine" (it does play heard it through the grapevine incase youre wondering!) Flip side is stamped with correct APPLE 10 in run out grooves (and plays the fabulous "Sparrow" track).

Bit of a scruffy copy what with the centre pushed out - interesting though.

Social source share

• 5 years later...

Just stumbled over this thread while searching for something on Google! On the first page the rare Canadian mispress of The Atttractions - Destination you - is mentioned. This is the one where the vocals were missed off somehow, so you just get the instrumental backing track.

I posted this on YouTube a couple of years back and, having just rediscovered this thread, thought I'd share it with you now...

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
Social source share

56 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Just stumbled over this thread while searching for something on Google! On the first page the rare Canadian mispress of The Atttractions - Destination you - is mentioned. This is the one where the vocals were missed off somehow, so you just get the instrumental backing track.

I posted this on YouTube a couple of years back and, having just rediscovered this thread, thought I'd share it with you now...

I have that one too, but on mine labels are the wrong way around. Don't know it they were all done like that.

Social source share

10 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

I have the Attraction's inst. too, but on the US press.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Benji said:

Instrumental instead of vocal version. Labels wrong way around. What next? Seems like somebody at a canadian pressing plant screwed it up big style. 😂

More likely that someone from Bell screwed up and sent the masters to the backing tracks for pressing instead of the masters with vocals on top. It seems sensible to think the pressing plant would only have used what they were given. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!