Most Bizarrely Pressed Record I've Ever Seen

Pete S

post-1893-0-04229000-1324396850_thumb.jp

Can anyone beat this for a mis-pressing

?

Dave Edmunds Rockpile - I'm Comin' Home - Regal Zonophone RZ 3032 Same label on both sides for a start!

Side 1 actually plays MARVIN GAYE - SAVE THE CHILDREN (Tamla Motown TMG 796)

Side 2 actually plays THE CONGREGATION - SOFTLY WHISPERING I LOVE YOU (Columbia 8830)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

pete, i cant put up a pic....1. i dont know how to do it anyway & 2. i havent got a picture of the record concerned, but on friday i did witness something bizarre that leapt out of glen brierley's sales box and promptly disappeared into another "think i might keep this one for a rainy day" box....a u.k. copy of the mvps - "turning my heartbeat up " bearing.....a buddha label....that was GREEN & WHITE with black lettering....obviuosly the priting press was running low on ink!!

Social source share

I posted this before in another thread, but I have a copy of joe anderson "you and i" that plays nazereth "love hurts". It's funny because it's very jarring to hear.

I have a crappy chicago rock single that plays an awesome sweet soul record instead of the rock single (definitely mispress as the rock single exists as the single) and I have absolutely no idea what it is.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Back in 75 i saw a copy of Lena Zavaroni "Ma Ma He's Makin Eyes at Me" on Yellow STAX import !

I told my mate Carts who ripped the piss out of me , called me a liar and bet me five quid i couldn't produce it

I went back to Robinson's Records which was huge and spent two hours going through nearly ever single they had

eventually finding it

He was so stunned when i produced it he gave me the fiver

(which at that time amazed me) and then he smashed it !

i don't know how many if any white artists recorded on STAX but it can't have been many

https://i.ebayimg.com...guE%29w~~_3.JPG

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

Nothing like that Dave Edmunds record Pete.

However;

I don't know if this was ever considered as the A Side or a mistake at the pressing plant.

Always Assumed it was a mistake but just wondered if anyone knows for certain.

STAMPED "W4KM-3823-1" Correctly Dates It As 1968 - Also Has STAMPED "Nashville Matrix"

Both Sides Play "Keep Off, No Trespassing"

Tamla_T-54166b_DJa_U.gifTamla_T-54166b_DJb_U.gif

Social source share

post-1893-0-04229000-1324396850_thumb.jp

Can anyone beat this for a mis-pressing

?

Dave Edmunds Rockpile - I'm Comin' Home - Regal Zonophone RZ 3032 Same label on both sides for a start!

Side 1 actually plays MARVIN GAYE - SAVE THE CHILDREN (Tamla Motown TMG 796)

Side 2 actually plays THE CONGREGATION - SOFTLY WHISPERING I LOVE YOU (Columbia 8830)

Think this was a "teaching tool" for a press operator - First day on the job, basically he was given any old unwanted labels and any stampers to learn how to press a record. Once he was compitent, he could then get to work on "real" records.

John Manship had a similar record not too long ago. Some UK motown record but with a 50's capitol label on one side and some other similar non-related label on the other side.

Cheers

Mick

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Think this was a "teaching tool" for a press operator - First day on the job, basically he was given any old unwanted labels and any stampers to learn how to press a record. Once he was compitent, he could then get to work on "real" records.

John Manship had a similar record not too long ago. Some UK motown record but with a 50's capitol label on one side and some other similar non-related label on the other side.

Cheers

Mick

Thanks Mick, great explanation.

Social source share

I have the following record;

AVCO Embassy 4598

Donnie Elbert

Ooh, Baby Baby

Tell Her For Me

But it actually plays "Come See About Me" by Donnie instead.

Even the B-side has a different track by Donnie than that shown but I can't remember what it is.

Anybody else got one of these?

Edited by denbo
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I have the following record;

AVCO Embassy 4598

Donnie Elbert

Ooh, Baby Baby

Tell Her For Me

But it actually plays "Come See About Me" by Donnie instead.

Even the B-side has a different track by Donnie than that shown but I can't remember what it is.

Anybody else got one of these?

I had a copy that I bought as a new release. It was nicked from the club that I was DJ'ing at about two weeks after I got it and, of course, I've never managed to find another one since...

Couple of bizarre mispresses that I do still have:

(The) Family - Scene Thru' The Eye Of A Lens (UK Liberty) - rare first 45 by this great UK group. The B side should be an original Roger Chapman song called 'Gypsy Woman' but it actually plays 'Let Me Be Good To You' by Carla Thomas.

Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love (EMI) - plays 'Bad Man' by the Cockney Rejects instead, a much better result if you ask me...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Maxamillions - Snake was pressed on the B - side of some copies of Del Shannons - Runaway.Maxamillion (Max Crook) was the keyboard player on the Del Shannon record,that probably caused the mix-up

That was it cheers, how could I possibly get Del Shannon and Billy Fury mixed up :huh:

Social source share

Actually I just thought of one that annoyed me recently. I bought (years ago from a UK seller) a copy of the tran-sisters on pickwick city. I played it and both sides were some male rock group. I assumed that this was a totally unrelated group to the imperial group. I'd seen several others come up for sale and was like "look at those idiots buying that rock record". Then on ebay recently one comes up and sells for over $1000! I then figured out that my copy was a mispress and real copies do have the female group. I was so pissed. I think the $1000+ was a fluke, probably two rich lou reed / VU collectors bidding to win as he had something to do with the record.

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Was at Mick Smiths a few years ago and he showed me a copy of Parliaments Heart Trouble on Golden World........it played some funk shite....really looked the part and it was mint LOL

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I used to have Tell It Like It Is by Aaron Neville on Parlo that played half way through then switched to a totally different song.

Thank you for confirming the existence of something that I was beginning to think I'd imagined. I had the chance to buy one of these about 40 years ago, and turned it down in favour of a 'proper' one. I've told a few people about it in the intervening years but they've always looked at me like I'm nuts.

Doesn't help matters that I am nuts, I suppose, but...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hee Hee.

Hey Tony, you still hanging onto that CD you did for me recently?

Do you mean me or TonyP?

If me, the answer is yes, I just haven't seen you to give it to you...

January Majestic, maybe?

Social source share

Do you mean me or TonyP?

If me, the answer is yes, I just haven't seen you to give it to you...

January Majestic, maybe?

Oops yes, well spotted.

January Majestic? Yes, I'm hoping to be there. Seeings how all my dental appointments are now finished. :yes::D

Social source share

I've got one of those Steve Mancha UK Columbia 45s "It's all over the grapevine" - one side plays "Ba Ba Bank robbery" by EAV but it has the correct Steve Mancha labels on both sides.

I forget if it's the vocal or instrumental side of Steve's which is missing... :g:

Also, I have a copy of the Adorables "Ooh boy" on Golden World, which actually plays the Four Tops "Ain't that love" / "Lonely summer" (Columbia re-issue from 1965) :huh:

Social source share

Guest rosies dad

Picked up a white demo of The C.O.D.'s "pretty baby"/"I'm a good guy" on Kellmac a couple years

ago and got it home and it plays some RnBish tracks on both sides. I remember someone posting about

the same record not that long ago on here, but I don't know if it was ever figured out who the songs were.

At least it's nice looking.

jacob

Social source share

Picked up a white demo of The C.O.D.'s "pretty baby"/"I'm a good guy" on Kellmac a couple years

ago and got it home and it plays some RnBish tracks on both sides. I remember someone posting about

the same record not that long ago on here, but I don't know if it was ever figured out who the songs were.

At least it's nice looking.

jacob

can you repost? I'm interested in seeing if I can identify them. thanks.

Social source share

CRUMB: I used to have Tell It Like It Is by Aaron Neville on Parlo that played half way through then switched to a totally different song.

Thank you for confirming the existence of something that I was beginning to think I'd imagined. I had the chance to buy one of these about 40 years ago, and turned it down in favour of a 'proper' one. I've told a few people about it in the intervening years but they've always looked at me like I'm nuts.

Doesn't help matters that I am nuts, I suppose, but...

I had (may even still have) a copy of this misprint years ago.

From memory it plays for 'Tell It Like It Is' half way through and then switches to 'the flipside 'Why Worry' with the line 'Go out and have a good time!'.

Is yours the same Tony & Crumb?

Sean

Social source share

I used to have Tell It Like It Is by Aaron Neville on Parlo that played half way through then switched to a totally different song.

While we are on the subject of Aaron Neville mis-pressses:

Here's a record I pulled out of Soul Bowl's racks a few years back:

Danny White "Girl I Want You/Those Words" on the Dollars & Cents Label, it's a white demo with a Nashville mattrix stamp,

now then,

"Girl I Want You" is really " A Hard Nut To Crack" and "Those Words" is really Those Three Words" both by Aaron Neville this 45 is exactly the same as the Parlo 105 release. :g:

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Also just remembered, I once bought 20 copies of the Chalfontes "He Loves Me" On Mercury. When they arrived about a third of them although having the Chalfontes labels on both sides were infact some "Bobby Darin" pop type thing and no I never got my money back.

Also the Masquraders mis-press on Labeat:

The label number is 6702-A and the titles are "Be Happy For Me" which came out as a vocal and instrumental version.

The mis-press plays "Together That's The Only Way" both as a vocal and instrumental version :g:

" Together That's The Only Way" only came out as vocal version on the flip of "I Got The Power" release 6704 and

"One More Chance" 6702

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

I had (may even still have) a copy of this misprint years ago.

From memory it plays for 'Tell It Like It Is' half way through and then switches to 'the flipside 'Why Worry' with the line 'Go out and have a good time!'.

Is yours the same Tony & Crumb?

Sean

Been racking my brains to try & remember but I haven't seen the record for about 30 years, I either binned it or left it behind at my Mum & Dads when I moved out.

Social source share

Also just remembered, I once bought 20 copies of the Chalfontes "He Loves Me" On Mercury. When they arrived about a third of them although having the Chalfontes labels on both sides were infact some "Bobby Darin" pop type thing and no I never got my money back.

Also the Masquraders mis-press on Labeat:

The label number is 6702-A and the titles are "Be Happy For Me" which came out as a vocal and instrumental version.

The mis-press plays "Together That's The Only Way" both as a vocal and instrumental version :g:

" Together That's The Only Way" only came out as vocal version on the flip of "I Got The Power" release 6704 and

"One More Chance" 6702

Dave

Hi Dave - Think it was 6701 for both "Be Happy" and the misspress "Together".

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

OK Dave, if you have it then it must be right - I'm going by a vague memory and having the record for 5 minutes in 1980 ish - Just as a matter of interest was the standard release of "Be Happy/Inst also on 6702 ?

Merry Christmas

Mick

No Mick "Be Happy For Me" Vocal/Inst is 6701 :thumbsup:

Social source share

Back in 75 i saw a copy of Lena Zavaroni "Ma Ma He's Makin Eyes at Me" on Yellow STAX import !

I told my mate Carts who ripped the piss out of me , called me a liar and bet me five quid i couldn't produce it

I went back to Robinson's Records which was huge and spent two hours going through nearly ever single they had

eventually finding it

He was so stunned when i produced it he gave me the fiver

(which at that time amazed me) and then he smashed it !

i don't know how many if any white artists recorded on STAX but it can't have been many

https://i.ebayimg.com...guE%29w~~_3.JPG

Even more bizarre I've just seen a Motown demo by Irene "Granny Clampet" Ryan

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alanbonthrone

The Attractions. Destination You / Find Me. Canadian Bell. Label.s Reversed And Botn Side.s Play Instrumental.s, Is There Any Information On This One Please. Thank,s All The Best. Alan.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!