Artist Info Please - Lillian Dupree (D-Town)

Premium Stuff

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I knew he lived over here for a while, and he was a regular at the 100 club (not the allnighter I hasten to add!), I've a photo of my wife sitting on his knee, taken when she worked there quite a charmer she said. Never heard about Lillian though.

I think I remember him living in northern Germany for awhile, as well (Hamburg or Bremen, or was it Oldenburg?). I lived in Bremen for 5 years, and saw lots of posters for his appearances. I never knew that his daughter was a DETROIT Soul singer.

Social source share

• 8 years later...
On 21/12/2011 at 22:04, Robbk said:

I think I remember him living in northern Germany for awhile, as well (Hamburg or Bremen, or was it Oldenburg?). I lived in Bremen for 5 years, and saw lots of posters for his appearances. I never knew that his daughter was a DETROIT Soul singer.

I believe she was in Jackie And The Tonetts

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Gloria Scott was from The San Francisco Bay Area, and appeared in both The Bay Area and Los Angeles Area.  So, I would guess that her Tonettes were the same people as the L.A. group that recorded for Modern Records.  But I would also assume that THAT group would have had NOTHING to do withThe Tonettes from the east coast, who recorded for Cameo-Parkway sub labels and ABC-Paramount, and small New York labels.

Social source share

Yes,the  Doo-Woppin' NYC Tonettes on Doe/ABC (the 58' classic Oh,What A Baby/Howie) had nothing to do with any of the other Tonettes-they were a white/Hispanic trio-Josie Allen and sisters Diana & Sylvia Sanchez

you're right about the great Champion Jack Dupree living in Germany,too-it was in the 1980's.I was lucky enough to find a signed German LP of his-it was from 1984,I  think.

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Michael V said:

Yes,the  Doo-Woppin' NYC Tonettes on Doe/ABC (the 58' classic Oh,What A Baby/Howie) had nothing to do with any of the other Tonettes-they were a white/Hispanic trio-Josie Allen and sisters Diana & Sylvia Sanchez

you're right about the great Champion Jack Dupree living in Germany,too-it was in the 1980's.I was lucky enough to find a signed German LP of his-it was from 1984,I  think.

Now I remember!  It was Jack DuPree who lived first in Berlin, and later, in Hamburg, for many years.  It was Albert King who lived near me, in Oldenburg, for several years.  Both of them appeared in venues in both Bremen and Hamburg.

Social source share

This you tube video of Hide & Seek

has the following comment about Lillian Dupree from Deshan Jones:

"Deshan Jones : 6 years ago Thanks Mr. Soul, this is my mother!! She taught me the music love."

And judging from her youtube profile,  her daughter  Deshan appears to be a very talented vocalist and guitarist carrying on her mother's Detroit soul tradition ...

image.png.ab563ea754122ba7e8043a9638188df9.png

Social source share

11 hours ago, Robbk said:

Gloria Scott was from The San Francisco Bay Area, and appeared in both The Bay Area and Los Angeles Area.  So, I would guess that her Tonettes were the same people as the L.A. group that recorded for Modern Records.  But I would also assume that THAT group would have had NOTHING to do withThe Tonettes from the east coast, who recorded for Cameo-Parkway sub labels and ABC-Paramount, and small New York labels.

I wonder if it was Jackie Ross on lead ?

Social source share

On 21/12/2011 at 06:35, soulsalmon said:

Not much known about her,can tell you she was the daughter of champion jack dupree,the barrel house blues pianist

Perhaps he had more than one daughter or her real name was Georgiana ?

11 hours ago, Robbk said:

Now I remember!  It was Jack DuPree who lived first in Berlin, and later, in Hamburg, for many years.  It was Albert King who lived near me, in Oldenburg, for several years.  Both of them appeared in venues in both Bremen and Hamburg.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/473933560780381613/

soul Jack

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!