Sheridan's, Dewsbury

Guest nsoulxx

Was a moment in Time!!

I watched Rodz & Chrissy turn this Old Stone Warehouse sorta building into a Taylor Made Northern Soul Venue!!!

I was lucky enough to be a resident at one of the Niters there,,, they had a few different Genre Niters there plus Soul Nites Too

It was veryatmospheric and i guess adhead of its time in consept

There was even a corner with a couple of PCs were ya could go on line and watch ya EBay sales/purchases etc !!

For the few years it existed it was a cracking place and very popular

Rods and Chrissy worked very hard to give the Niter Crowd of that time a perfect place were they coud be left to get on with it,,,, some weekend it literally carriied on the Sunday till theres was only a few people left

I dont know really what happened ,, there was a rumour that the local Asian Community were putting very unwelcome pressure onRods & Chris as they wanted a piece of the action ,,,but i stress i dont know if that was true,,, hopefully someone on here will know the true facts!!

I had some GREAT nights there and will remember it with great fondness

In its day Sheridans Rocked!!!

Nige B x

Edited by Nige Brown
Social source share

I loved it as a venue, dance floor used to get a bit dicey at times. The first lifelines, think Bickers did a nighter there as well. I thought the original owners at the time of the nighters left, and new Asian ones took over, and they made life difficult for Rods and Chrissy?

What happened to Rodz n Chrissy i heard they had gone to ibiza ? after the aggro at sherries

Social source share

Sheridens , my goodness that brings back some great memories ....tyre man ! Being picked up outside the Albert Hall ( what colour is your Albert ?) and then driven up to Sheridens for a nighter disposing of a few tyres on route ..we used to travel distances with no thought in those days.

Nice Bacon butties too !

You Naughty Minx ,,,, Yes what a bloody adventure that was ,,,, you forgot leaving me Holdall behind at Sheridans ,,,then the following morning getting me Motor clamped at the Coach station in Digbeth ,Birmingham!!!

Happy Days Miss Whiplash!!

Edited by Nige Brown
Social source share

What a dump but it was a great dump!! Some fantastic nights there, week in week out practically and not far from home either, miss the place as it was 1st time round more than most venues, it was ideal.

Lifeline began there, sold the place out for the first time, even had to turn some away. The first two or three Lifeline nighters were as good a night as I've ever had and the best nights out since the 80's.

One Lifeline didn't finish till the Tuesday once :lol: In fact I sure some never left the place :lol:

New years eve there was brilliant too.

The place was ideal, large main room with a great dance floor, second room with bar, food, record dealers another set of decks if wanted and a small dance floor, you never missed a record no matter where you was.

I won't go into what happened not on here anyway but it wasn't all down to the Asians as some make out.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

If I remember rightly, it had a hard time washing it's face financially. The occasional all-nighter does not make for a successful business.

God it was a dive, but it was 'our' dive ! Many a great hoot had at Sherrys.

Ali on John's sign on thingymajig.

Edited by Johnny One Trout
Social source share

What a dump but it was a great dump!! Some fantastic nights there, week in week out practically and not far from home either, miss the place as it was 1st time round more than most venues, it was ideal.

Lifeline began there, sold the place out for the first time, even had to turn some away. The first two or three Lifeline nighters were as good a night as I've ever had and the best nights out since the 80's.

One Lifeline didn't finish till the Tuesday once :lol: In fact I sure some never left the place :lol:

New years eve there was brilliant too.

The place was ideal, large main room with a great dance floor, second room with bar, food, record dealers another set of decks if wanted and a small dance floor, you never missed a record no matter where you was.

I won't go into what happened not on here anyway but it wasn't all down to the Asians as some make out.

Chalky

Think you've got the blisters to prove it was a great dancer floor.............from sanding it down :D

Forgot about Flipside,great night's along with Lifeline.

Great memories of the place..........always felt at home there.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Chalky

Think you've got the blisters to prove it was a great dancer floor.............from sanding it down :D

Forgot about Flipside,great night's along with Lifeline.

Great memories of the place..........always felt at home there.

Cheers

Martyn

See the things we did for you lot :lol:

Three good nighters at Sheridan's, Lifeline, Flipside and Soultown....some soul nights too. The place was the best venue in the country by a country mile at it's height. Plenty of Dj's given a chance to shine there.

Wasn't the same when it was taken over and painted black or whatever colour it was...can remember Al Coney with his rather large vegetable, marrow or summat at one of the nights :lol::lol:

Social source share

Sheridans was great, no matter were we went 1st, we always seen to end up there.

Had some great laughs there, I remember one night me and Chris winding Soul Sam up. :wicked:

Knowing how much Sam hated Dean Barlow, we kept getting people to go ask for it when Sam was DJing. :lol:

Of couse both me and Chris was behind the decks at the time with Sam, and saying to him strange all these people keep asking for that. :g:

Another time winding up Andy Dyson about the roof leaking. :)

Social source share

Had some excellent nights at Sheriden's on my occasional return visits to W Yorks. Venue was excellent place for NS and the records played there were too :thumbsup:

Seemed to be one of those places which very quicky gained a reputation as a very up front venue so most people I bumped into in various parts of the country had made the effort to get there at some time or other!

Remember being there one night and there was no heating. Mick H was on that night and, him being in the building trade, from somewhere they found this bloody big generator they rigged up to provide some heat :) - weren't you in on that Chalky?

Edited by Stubbsy
Social source share

Had some excellent nights at Sheriden's on my occasional return visits to W Yorks. Venue was excellent place for NS and the records played there were too :thumbsup:

Seemed to be one of those places which very quicky gained a reputation as a very up front venue so most people I bumped into in various parts of the country had made the effort to get there at some time or other!

Remember being there one night and there was no heating. Mick H was on that night and, him being in the building trade, from somewhere they found this bloody big generator they rigged up to provide some heat :) - weren't you in on that Chalky?

Probably John, think the cold times were when the Asians took over, don't remember it being all too bad when Rodz had it although we got the odd blow heater in at times. We got all sorts in to provide some heat. The Asians virtually stripped the place and turned it into a rave type venue, little furniture to get in the way.

Social source share

went there as often as i could, had some brill popcorn / r&b nighters there as well as the awesome lifeliners ...the first one was incredible ........kev and clare drage had an AFTER WEDDING NIGHTER THERE it was .brill............ well worth the trip from the west country and ussually drove home in a right mess :D

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

went there as often as i could, had some brill popcorn / r&b nighters there as well as the awesome lifeliners ...the first one was incredible ........kev and clare drage had an AFTER WEDDING NIGHTER THERE it was .brill............ well worth the trip from the west country and ussually drove home in a right mess :D

You go home from everywhere in a right mess :lol: :lol: ........had my 50th birthday there everyone seemed to be grinning like cheshire cats :wicked::D ........proper nighter venue......none of this polished,shiney floors and comfey sofas and the like....dirty,dhingey just right :thumbup:

Social source share

If I remember rightly Sheridans first event was a Sunday dayer, Tonys allnighter Blackburn had been on the night before so there were a fair few up for it. So many folk have told me about the feeling they had when they walked through the doors for the first time and I swear you

could just feel that the place had something special about it. Always been my favourite venue and had the best times ever there, so sad it

had to end. Gazzo from Bolton was driving past the place as it was being gutted so he stopped to take a look. The 'Sheridans' sign that once hung over the door had been thrown out with the rubbish so he rescued it. Not sure but I think he gave it to Kev soulbarner to proudly

display in his awesome barn. Sheridans... I think a little bit of me died with it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

all got a bit gangsterish !!!

Indeed it did, regular gangland asian afro - caribbean feuds and the shooting of a 23 year old white boy from Leeds, innocently murder outside Sherry's. This resulted in West Yorkshire police closing it down. I cannot remember if the soul nighters were still being promoted at this venue, or had ceased operating during this period. The murder occured on Monday 21 November 2005 which resulted in it's instant closure.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

We ran two or three (forget the exact number) all-nighters when it was under the Asian owners. It became clear it wouldn't work because of how far downhill the venue had become. It wasn't the smartest place before but they practically stripped it and it was no better than the industrial building it was originally intended....it were f*cking freezing during the winter months. Roof was leaking, pipes leaking, bogs a proper sh*t hole, the ladies refused to use them at one point I think, no toilet seats etc. They had to use the blokes and have someone on the door when they went in!

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

We ran two or three (forget the exact number) all-nighters when it was under the Asian owners.

Do recall several diffrent soul promoter running nites there, one of which was a regular sponsor of Mark Bicknell's sunday nites "Big Daddy" Soul Shack show on Solar radio............Soultown or Soultime ?? but hey ho............... :)

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

I REMEMBER DRIVING BACK ONE NIGHT,WITH KENNY ONIONS,CARL THE POSTMAN AND LOUISE,BITTER COLD,WIND SCREEN WIPERS KEPT FREEZING,ALL THE SERVICES HAD NO WATER DUE TO ICE,ENDED UP HAVING A DETOUR THROUGH WIGAN,VIA STATION ROAD :rofl::yes:,LOVED THE PLACE,LIFELINE WAS BRILLIANT AT THIS VENUE, HAD SOME REAL GREAT NIGHTS THERE WITH COL AND GAYE KIDSON,ALSO WHEN MAX AND JOHN WERE ON IT WAS LIKE WOLVES ON TOUR.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Indeed it did, regular gangland asian afro - caribbean feuds and the shooting of a 23 year old white boy from Leeds, innocently murder outside Sherry's. This resulted in West Yorkshire police closing it down. I cannot remember if the soul nighters were still being promoted at this venue, or had ceased operating during this period. The murder occured on Monday 21 November 2005 which resulted in it's instant closure.

Six years ago, where does the time go?

If someone had have asked me, "When did Sheridans go?"

I would have said three years, four years tops.

Remember reading about the lad's murder in the papers.

At least one paper, inplied that this had happened on a soul night!

Yes, I know this is not true, before I get bombarded with replies.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Remember reading about the lad's murder in the papers. At least one paper, inplied that this had happened on a soul night! Yes, I know this is not true, before I get bombarded with replies.

Tis' true Dave, cause both our local news programmes here in North/West Yorks regions reported this incident as an injustice, incorrectly blaming "bad blood during a northern soul all nighter. The body of the dead man remained in the road outside, until being discovered around 5.00 am on tuesday 22 November 2005, whilst the club was still open. Discrediting the good soul folks.

Anyway lets get back onto the original thread topic.

Merry xmas to you both from over the hills of darkest Yorkshire and across the open valley's of Lancashire.

Cheers,

Swiftnick.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

I can remember when Al came out of the back with this hoover strapped on his back and some sort of head gear, he thought he was a stormtrooper off Star Wars :lol:

I can also remember when he put some sort of nappy on and he'd got this shopping trolley from somewhere and once in he couldn't get out....remember opening the fire doors and sending him down the road :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Six years ago, where does the time go?

If someone had have asked me, "When did Sheridans go?"

I would have said three years, four years tops.

HI ALL,

Remember Sheridans well with great affection. Was a regular on most soul nights on fridays before anyone thought about running all nighters there and it was the place to be for most of the yorkshire soul fraternity. Originally it had a stone floor until Rodz paid a visit to Floors -r-us and purchased a cheap batch of birch flooring which did the job admirably for many years.

The venue certainly had a lot going for it in terms of atmosphere although it had its faults.Had my 50th there almost 10 years ago next month and some of the guys decided to set up a "second room" to play something a little alternative!!!!. What a fantastic night it turned out to be as i had invited about 120 and nearly 200 turned up. My lasting memory of that night was me leaving about 3-30 am with about forty or so people left in and Matchy coming in,record box in hand and asking "you dont mind if we carry on and play a few tunes do you". Apparently they finished about half seven in the morning. :D :D :hatsoff2:

Great times and fun times indeed.

regards ROY

Social source share

Yes Good old Sheridans, the birthplace of Lifeline, after looking for a long while for a venue me and Andy put the nuts and bolts together ,the birth of Lifeline began

opening night was a full house ,we even had to turn people away ,it went on to be the premier Allnighter of the North,

but sadly Bin Lardens Henchmen decided they din,t want white people in the so called Sheree law Dewsbury,a the last Allnighter a car load of the scum turned up t threatening to shoot us out of the club,little did they relise who they were messing with ,and our doorman big John,sadly no longer with us

had to be restrained or there would have been blood spilled that night thats for certain.

The Asian so called Bin Larden gangsters skidded off with a promise,they would burn us out, than have white people in there clubs,

Me and Andy decided as much as we loved the club

it was not worth putting our punters Life's in danger for sake of soul music and a great night out

sad it was to bow Asian scum,

Months later they burnt the club to the ground

Here is,some of the so called Sheree law these Fanatics preach from the Muslim state of Dewsbury

They don,t celebrate Christmas

No Television

No nude women

No Football

No Pork chops

No Hotdogs

No Burgers

No Beer

No Bacon

rags for clothes

towels for hats

constant wailing all day and all night from some idiot in a tower

more than one wife,more than one mother in-law

you can,t shave

,your wife can,t shave

you can't wash off the smell of a donkey

you wipe your ass with your hand

you eat your food with the same hand

you cook over burning camel dung

your wife is picked by someone else

your wifes smell worse than your donkey

Then they tell you that when you die it all gets better

Well no shit Sherlock,it's not like it could get much worse

those who never knew the area ,Sheree law posters Brits out of there Muslim country's posters pasted everywhere ,f*ck me is this my England,you would ask yourself,

Well Bin Larden and his no 2 lay in the bottom of the sea,there must be a God after all

Merry Xmas Everyone,and Lifeline still going strong,next date Sat 25th Feb 2012

Mick H.

Edited by ruppy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!