Tony Hestor On Magic City

Premium Stuff

Gary Holyman had one also seen one at Blue maxs shop i think mick holdsworth had one too ..maybe its the same 45 ? or a few boots but i'm certain its carver job . Had done one myself about 5 yrs ago with spaceland and down in the dumps i did put a soulhawk label on mine ..agree don't know why they used Magic City .

Edited by Hitsville Chalky
Social source share

A Bell Sound acetate of Tony Hester's version Of "I'll Be Your Champion" does exist, I would assume this came from Popcorn originally, Chris King sold this when he sold up circa 1986 to Richard Domar who inturn sold it on to Carl Jones.

Carl ain't one for selling records out of his collection so as far as I know the acetate still resides in the leafy suburbes of Wolverhampton. :hatsoff2:

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'll be your champion came out on the Kool Kat 12'' in 1987

The tracks -

Hurtin - Eric & the Vikings

My Baby Ain'y No Plaything - Willie Jones

In The Pocket - Detroit Strings

King For A Day - Stewart Ames

I'll Be Your Champion - Tony Hestor

GO Go - Buena Vistas

Shake Me Break Me - Motor City Sound

Shy Guy - Denise & The Devotions

Angelina Angelina - Stewart Ames

Say It Isn't So (With Strings) - Popcorn and the Mohawks

Hole In The Wall - JJ Barnes

Edited by Paul Dunn
Social source share

The tracks -

GO Go - Buena Vistas

Another "ditty" I'd never heard of in totality, (as a 12" release I mean)....Any other information on this item Paul from a purely genuine point of interest, as there are one or two tracks I've never heard of let alone heard? :g:

Edited by wilxy
Social source share

The tracks -

GO Go - Buena Vistas

Wasn't it red vinyl as well?

Social source share

Wasn't it red vinyl as well?

There was the 12" described above which I believe was both black and red vinyl presses

Also a 3 tracker in red vinyl with Eric & Vikings - Hurting, Detroit Strings - In The Pocket and Willie Jones - My Baby Ain't No Plaything - but that might have been later on

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Robb

The CD goes along the lines of Willie was a friend of Jimmey Soul Clark. Popcorn signed him to Soul Hawk. Willie ended up singing as a backing singer on 'My Baby Ain't No Play Thing' which was actually written and arranged with him in mind. However, it was given to New Holidays as more commercially successful/known.

Willie died in 1994 and he was also a member of Masterplan in '70s.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Guest Perception

I have the 12" Kool Kat record, bought it when it came out. The one I have is black vinyl.

I think Guy Hennigan used to play "In The Pocket" inst by the Detroit Strings.

Social source share

• 7 months later...

A Bell Sound acetate of Tony Hester's version Of "I'll Be Your Champion" does exist, I would assume this came from Popcorn originally, Chris King sold this when he sold up circa 1986 to Richard Domar who inturn sold it on to Carl Jones.

Carl ain't one for selling records out of his collection so as far as I know the acetate still resides in the leafy suburbes of Wolverhampton. :hatsoff2:

Dave

Yes Dave, that was in Chris King's hands and he tried to sell it to Rob Smith along with some other stuff many years ago but rob wasn't interested so I think he sold them to Domar??

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes Dave, that was in Chris King's hands and he tried to sell it to Rob Smith along with some other stuff many years ago but rob wasn't interested so I think he sold them to Domar??

Ta Kitch,

People seem to think I make this up as I go along :lol: If memory serves me right their was a Buddy Smith on Brute and a Yvonne Vernee 'Just Like You Did Me, involved as well :thumbsup:

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Ta Kitch,

People seem to think I make this up as I go along :lol: If memory serves me right their was a Buddy Smith on Brute and a Yvonne Vernee 'Just Like You Did Me, involved as well :thumbsup:

Dave

Yes I know Dave. I had an idea he was going in with them and I told Rob to put B. Smith And Y. Yvernee along with Eddie Parker and some others and when Chris came in he wouldn't buy them cause there was "too many obscurities in the bag"!!!

Social source share

hah! the good ole' days Eddie Parker's flying around the back alley's of Nottingham in a carrier bag !!!

I was going to buy the Buddy Smith for £40 but Mr Domar in his infinite wisdom decided to trade it with Ady Pearce for a W/D of Jannie Grant "My Heart, Your Heart" (the jammy B*st*rd) ranting_1.gif:lol:

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 years later...
On 22 December 2011 at 18:34, Louise said:

Dave

Can confirm that Dave is correct that Tony Hester's version of I'll be your champion still does reside in Wolverhampton and was played by Carl Jones at Strictly Modern and Crossover at Bradmore in Wolverhampton last night.

Mick Perrins.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!