Articles: The Temptations - (Artist Of The Week)

45cellar

gee there are so many great tracks here are a couple

Why Did She Have To Leave Me

Lady Soul

You've Got To Earn It

Since I lost My Baby

Your Not A Ordinary Girl

(Loneliness Made Me Realize) It's You That I Need

Smooth Sailing

That'll Be The Day

and so many more........

Barry

Social source share

Norman Whitfield recorded the song's instrumental track in 1964, two years before he got together with Eddie Holland to have lyrics written for the song. Several artists recorded "Beauty Is Only Skin Deep" before the Temptations, including Jimmy Ruffin, and The Miracles , who included it on their 1966 "Away We A Go- Go" album. After Whitfield's previous production for the Temptations, "Ain't Too Proud to Beg", hit number-one on the Billboard R&B singles chart, he prepared "Beauty Is Only Skin Deep" as a showcase for Ruffin and the Temptations.

post-19579-0-47111600-1325188952_thumb.j

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Loadsa Japanese 45s/LPs...but this one always puts a smile on my face!

The art departments often struggled, but the spelling was always correct on the labels.

:thumbsup:

post-9555-0-20953600-1328417039_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 5 months later...
  • 6 years later...
On 27/07/2012 at 11:36, 45cellar said:

Artist of the week with the Temptations... too easy... boring as it is so evident... well not quite actually... so many great materials to pick one or two from... too much materials overheard/play... through the decades... admitting they where that good ! 

In my former "northern" days my vote was instantly 'saving my love for a rainy day' putting back the Van Dykes version where it should have remain; in hommage obscurity. Early Gordy sessions with 'slow down heart', 'I want a love I can see'...

And 'my girl' is actually fantastic. Got me the iconic USA pic sleeves and heard it allover again. Bass line... Drool ! Old farth we are should have the capability to listen with "new born" ears in order to hear it again for the second first time again !

That is something I've come to do once again and it is rather fulfilling. And today, with my random 45 selection next to my deck, this 'B' side gets a play at every night session... I am hooked. And please do play the 45 as the LP mastering is "soften" to waist.

Gordy_G-7054b-1.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!