Brazenose Street - The 1St Twisted Wheel

We recentely found Brazenose street whilst Christmas market shopping much to our delight by accident . Now this famous street was the original home of the Twisted Wheel.

Is there anyone out there that can tell me exactly where it was on the street , a shop or landmark would be great.

The Wheel in its original home played blues and soul , also I think there was a place called the bluenote which I am interested in locating if anyone can help.

Any memories of this time would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Social source share

Carms I also found brazenose St the otheryear whilst shopping or wasting time till the whitworth St one opened!

There was some old pictures on the twisted wheel forum the other year join that and ask some of the guys on there cos some of them went to the 1st wheel and the blue note

Happy hunting

Ps are you going to the wheel this Friday ?

It'll be a cracker

Ktf spike

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's a picture ( Pete has upped this before)...

Can't copy picture sorry!!

https://twistedwheelclub.com/index.php try this link

which shows the Left Wing Coffee bar, which became The Twisted Wheel in 1963.

Upstairs was a coffee bar, and downstairs, in the cellar, was the dancefloor. So pretty similar to Whitworth Street when that first opened...

The building is long gone now. Go down Deansgate and find the square with a statue of Abe Lincoln, and you are pretty much standing where it was. It is said that some of the cellars could still be there under the flagstones.

This any help?

Edited by spike1
Social source share

Indeed Soshe,there was an article in the M.E.N around '96 i think,been surfing the web but can't locate it but it reported that the statue of Lincoln was sinking and while excavating beneath it the workmen uncovered what was left of the old Wheel cellars!

For Mike-Here's the link to the site which was set up by original Manchester Mods and Wheelers-a cracking good browse with tons of stuff about the R&B and soul music scene and culture in the North and North West in General and Manchester in particular and the clubs that you hear the "Originals" recall.

I must warn you though you'll spend hours on all the links on the site,it's a must read for anyone whether they were there in the 60s or just picking up the baton now!

https://manchestersoul.co.uk/msoul/index.html

KTF & KOKO,

Bernard.

IT'S WHAT'S IN THE GROOVES THAT COUNTS!

Last edited by bernard02898; 09-08-2010 at 03:38 PM.

Social source share

just a quick reminder for all member as the post above seems to be a clip from another members only site

if you are posting other peoples posts from other forums or other websites can you ensure that you do have the original poster/authors permission befpre posting

am taking it that its been done here, yep ?

thanks

mike

Social source share

Carms try this

https://www.soulbot.com/bluenote/

Wel looks like I learn something new every day !!

I walk past the waldorf every time I go the wheel

Ne'er new that was were the bluenote used to be

very interesting read about the old scene I'll be digging for more info from

Some of the old guard on Friday night

Thanks carms you've woke me up!!

Edited by spike1
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Wasn't the original wheel reopened as Placemate 7 back in the 70's ?

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

a gay club ?

The original wheel was brazenose street no longer exists

The whitworth street site was the second location for the wheel which

closed in 71

It then became placemates which was a night club don't know if it was a gay club or not?

The re-opened wheel at the whitworth St site which opens as a soul venue twice a month is now called legends and is indeed a gay club

On Fridays when the " wheel" is on we can only use the downstairs

part of the building that's the original stage room and coffee bar the rest of the building is used as a gay club never any problems with either crowd!

For the Sunday sessions we have the use of the upstairs which has more than doubled the 400 capacity

So we get two dancefloors and three bars

At the last Sunday session they had to open another bar / dancefloor area because about 1000 people turned up!

If you like really old rythmn n blues ska sixties soul mixed in with motown and cassic " northern soul"? Give it a try

If you turn up toad find me and I'll buy you a pint

Spike

For the Sunday

Edited by spike1
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Are you saying that the current wheel is situated in a gay club?

Or are you trying make some sort clever comment snout the revived twisted wheel sessions?

Grow up ! it's a fact the wheel at present is in a gay club !! Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

went to the nighters there late 8ts and just rembered a second room which you couldnt go in or same building seperate entrance ?

That second room is what they now open in sundays

What were the nighters like in the 8ts?

Cos they have a policy of only playing tracks that were played at the original twisted wheel clubs now which works for me but not perhaps everyone!;)

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

No Offence intended Andy

You never know on this forum not everybody likes us oldies ;)

Happy new year

I'm an oldie myself mate , but not old enough to have been at the either of the original wheel's !
Social source share

Guest Byrney

That second room is what they now open in sundays

What were the nighters like in the 8ts?

Cos they have a policy of only playing tracks that were played at the original twisted wheel clubs now which works for me but not perhaps everyone!;)

Can't remember too much about them but the music policy was in line with what was played at most northern soul venues then I.e. the big current tunes / new and recent discoveries rather than nostalgia. Butch was one of the djs

Social source share

Can't remember too much about them but the music policy was in line with what was played at most northern soul venues then I.e. the big current tunes / new and recent discoveries rather than nostalgia. Butch was one of the djs

Don't know about the current scene as to what's played

But I every time I go the wheel I hear stuff that I have either never heard before or not beard for ages

But of course the

Bulk of the plays will be old (over played in some people's opinion) soul classics I love it

I to was too young to go the original wheel wigan from 76-80 was my allnighter career

;)

Social source share

Manchester City Council Libraries - Manchester Local Image Collection https://images.manche...ov.uk/index.php?

Brazennose Street ©1961(classic picture most often seen of the Left Wing Coffee House)

https://images.manche...gue&refirn=1339

Brazennose Street from No.26 ©1961(slightly different shot of the above)

https://images.manche...gue&refirn=1331

But this is the fabulous picture that I've never seen before that was well worth the hour or so it took to find it:

Brazennose Street from No.22 ©1961(never seen this fantastic picture before, it gives a much better overview of the position of the Coffee House as it can be aligned with Albert Square in the background. Note position of small road turning right on corner of coffee house) https://images.manche...gue&refirn=1330

Brazennose Street, Looking to Albert Square ©1970 (by then the corner building coffee house had long been demolished - note derelict gap right hand side of street and position of small road right turning)

https://images.manche...ue&refirn=30940

History is such a wonderful thang

derek x

Edited by Derek Pearson
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

The original wheel was brazenose street no longer exists

The whitworth street site was the second location for the wheel which

closed in 71

It then became placemates which was a night club don't know if it was a gay club or not?

The re-opened wheel at the whitworth St site which opens as a soul venue twice a month is now called legends and is indeed a gay club

On Fridays when the " wheel" is on we can only use the downstairs

part of the building that's the original stage room and coffee bar the rest of the building is used as a gay club never any problems with either crowd!

For the Sunday sessions we have the use of the upstairs which has more than doubled the 400 capacity

So we get two dancefloors and three bars

At the last Sunday session they had to open another bar / dancefloor area because about 1000 people turned up!

If you like really old rythmn n blues ska sixties soul mixed in with motown and cassic " northern soul"? Give it a try

If you turn up toad find me and I'll buy you a pint

Spike

For the Sunday

Placemate was never a gay club. When Placemate closed it eventually became Rockies,a gay club , opening in the early eighties,then later Legends under different owners

and has remained a gay club ever since. Pete Roberts persuaded the owners to let him run Twisted Wheel nights in the original premises

Of interest to followers of this site is that Les Cockell djd both at the Whitworth Street Wheel and Rockies

The story of how Pete Roberts

Social source share

Mind you the left wing coffee house looks far from a cafe ? Makes you wonder if it had anything to do with politics ... left wing ?

I think if you were to think of a possible Bohemian type area in Manchester now , it would have to be tib street , Northern quarter . Its really developing into great area to explore . Beatin R is now placed at the end of it and Derek can be seen on saturdays hangin out the buntin in his cross over apron and scarf :) Also there are lots of interesting shops in a "retro" mould springing up ,along with old fashioned 40's tea rooms that show old films ! plus I was talking to one of the shop keepers and she mentioned they were going to have a big market area under cover there , a bit like camden , small shops within one big area .

I also beleive there is a new Nighter up and coming on the very street.... could this place make its mark in the future ? Makes you want to give up the IT career doesn't it .. I could serve tea browse records and listen to soul all day quite easily :g: perhaps a breakfast coffe bar is required ?

Edited by Carms
Social source share

Hi Carms, yea agree the Northern Quarter is a really smart area now a mini London ? and yes there is a big nighter to be held on Tibb St in June its a 500 2 x room event and if you look at the dj line up !! second to NONE... hope to see you there...my good friend.. :hatsoff2:

I think Carms knows about the Niter,,and she WILL be there somehow :yes::shhh:

Social source share

There was 2 rooms running, the basement with Butch, Tim, Guy etc playing current stuff, and the "Wheel" room playing er "Wheel" tunes!

Social source share

The site of the Brazenose St. Wheel is actually under the Statue of Abe Lincoln in Brazenose St. diagonaly across from the Rising Sun.There was an article in the Manchester Evening news in the late 90's telling how the statue had begun to subside and when the foundations were excavated the "old" Wheel cellars were still there!

Edited by NorthernMoorSoul
Social source share

The site of the Brazenose St. Wheel is actually under the Statue of Abe Lincoln in Brazenose St. diagonaly across from the Rising Sun.There was an article in the Manchester Evening news in the late 90's telling how the statue had begun to subside and when the foundations were excavated the "old" Wheel cellars were still there!

If you check post No 3 Above,,, This has already been posted!!!

Social source share

Carms try this

https://www.soulbot.com/bluenote/

Wel looks like I learn something new every day !!

I walk past the waldorf every time I go the wheel

Ne'er new that was were the bluenote used to be

very interesting read about the old scene I'll be digging for more info from

Some of the old guard on Friday night

Thanks carms you've woke me up!!

Excellent reading!! Happy Days eh!!

Social source share

I showed the Bluenote page to Brian yesterday and he knew one of the names listed , a girl from Blackley he used ot go to school with:) I then mentioned that Abe Lincoln now Marks the spot , which he was quite shocked about.

He said what they say about the gangster fashion is bob on , everyone wanted to look like George Raft with the long overcoats and hats even as far as a carnation in the lapel !,he also remembers drinking in the Waldorf at the time.

He also knew the Time and the Place , Whitworth Street Wheel and Rowtrees Sound , Spring Gardens , the Oasis and the other nightclub mentioned but he said as far as he was aware no records were sold down the Brazenose Street Wheel , records were purchased from Ralfs records. He only went to Brazenose street a few times , but it made a lasting impression on him . He also went to Sheffield many times the King Mojo I think he said it was called.

It was a great time to be in Manchester.

Edited by Carms
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest roggert

the mojo was opened, like the first wheel, as a blues club until late64 when motown and what was later to become northern soul started to come into fashion , stringfellow renamed the club after what was the then the biggest drugs bust in the uk took place late 66 it then became the king mojo,until the allnight licence was refused in 1968 . the name was then the beautiful mojo which meant all the hippy stuff was played -flower power was definitely not danceable!!!!this was when ivor abadi s wheel became the top name, many other clubs came and went -earls barton dog track northampton,tinned chicken and bin lid yorks , nite owl leicester ,clouds blue orchid derby and the dungeon /beachcomber notts , and the attic at doncaster to name but afew, now i realise where i misspent my teen years!!!!

Social source share

-earls barton dog track northampton,tinned chicken and bin lid yorks , nite owl leicester ,clouds blue orchid derby and the dungeon /beachcomber notts , and the attic at doncaster to name but afew, now i realise where i misspent my teen years!!!!

Must admit to having never heard of these, having been a 'Wheeler' since 1968. Would love to learn more about these clubs? Especially liked the name 'Tinned Chicken', what a name for a club. Brilliant!!! :D

Social source share

Must admit to having never heard of these, having been a 'Wheeler' since 1968. Would love to learn more about these clubs? Especially liked the name 'Tinned Chicken', what a name for a club. Brilliant!!! :D

Visit twisted wheel forum (it's free and no advertising on it so no other motive than a wish to share knowledge)

There's an interesting thread on there about the "tinned chicken club"

Spike

Social source share

• 8 months later...
Guest Dave Atkinson

Odd how people get things out of perspective. The Mojo changed direction with the music as the Hippie sound brought more punters into the club. Pete Stringfellow wore the beads and along with his brothers looked for another direction. During the week the place was dead until he put on Fleetwood Mac etc. Allnighters were not making money. We closed the Blue Orchid on the threat of losing our drinks license but ran the allnighters basically because it was cheaper to pay for the acts after the other clubs had closed. It was a fun time but heavy going.

Social source share

Guest Dave Atkinson

Cant add much to this as I was a regular at the Wheel on Witworth Street but Duke, Dennis Gretton went to them both. He was close to Roger Eagles who was the DJ at the Allnighters before Tony Sherwood. He would know if you can locate him. But the original Wheel was more into Blues and Rock. I can remember them chatting about playing Fats Domino and boogie.

Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

It is incredible how few folk understand the importance of Brazenose Street in the history of both NS & their own provenance.

All proper Mancs were registered there.

Social source share

We recentely found Brazenose street whilst Christmas market shopping much to our delight by accident . Now this famous street was the original home of the Twisted Wheel.

Is there anyone out there that can tell me exactly where it was on the street , a shop or landmark would be great.

The Wheel in its original home played blues and soul , also I think there was a place called the bluenote which I am interested in locating if anyone can help.

Any memories of this time would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

BRAZENNOSE STREET + Business Listings

BRAZENNOSE STREET runs from Deansgate up to Albert Square where the Town Hall is situated.

Along this Street it runs into an open square called Lincoln Square with a statue of Lincoln the 16th president of the USA.

The statue stands above the first location of the TWISTED WHEEL Club; famous for its love and appreciation of Black American, Blues, R&B and Soul music.

When The left wing cafe ran as The Jazz club back in the Beatnik days before becoming, Twisted Wheel, it promoted that " Feline Type Cats could enter at reduced rate. lol

Atb Irish

Atb Irish

Edited by Irish Spinner
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!