Soundcloud - A Great Temporary Alternative To Refosoul?

Hi all

While recognising the tricky issues Mike and the Mods are facing in relation to getting Refosoul going again, I have been frustrated by its absence.

Someone put me onto Soundcloud which is a legit external site where you can set up an account and store soundfiles etc. This is free for up to 2 hours of sounds. Thereafter there are various fees, but nothing astronomical.

Anyway, I know there are other sites like DivShare etc. and I'm not very good at this kind of stuff generally, but I tried out Soundcloud tonight and it's really easy to use. All you need to do it set up an account, which is really easy, and then very simply upload your files on an easy to follow dashboard format.

It is as easy as, or even easier than, uploading soundfiles straight to Refosoul. And the great thing is - Mike please correct me if I have got this wrong - because it's a legit external site you can just drop the Soundcloud link in to your post right here on Soul Source. Brilliant!

I only have 15 or so files uploaded so far but please have a look at my Soundcloud sounds under Premium Stuff.

Just as an example here's one of my all time favourite tracks I uploaded earlier (click on the Listen on Soundcloud.com link under the player below if you want to go straight there and see other sounds etc.):

I would encourage anyone to use this for posting authentic stuff recorded from disc, instead of posting up those darned YouTube clips!! frusty2.gif:D

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Yeah, this is similar to using divshare. I guess one negative about not getting refosoul back up would be that if everything wasn't hosted on the site it might not serve as the incredible archive it does now (or used to do) as the external links can die. I think youtube is becoming the de-facto archive of all music. But that's bad because songs uploaded to youtube sound like crap and frequently have their speed changed, etc.

Social source share

Yeah, this is similar to using divshare. I guess one negative about not getting refosoul back up would be that if everything wasn't hosted on the site it might not serve as the incredible archive it does now (or used to do) as the external links can die. I think youtube is becoming the de-facto archive of all music. But that's bad because songs uploaded to youtube sound like crap and frequently have their speed changed, etc.

I agree totally Bob.

I love Refosoul :wub:

Of course it has/had that awesome search facility too - and playlists - amazing - superb!

None of these external sites can do anything like Refosoul does

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Richard I assume you can do these so there is no download possible, which was always difficult on DivShare? Otherwise does it not run the similar legal gauntlet around file sharing, probably worth running this by Mike (apologies if you aready have).

I sympathise with Mike in this, it seems to be a minefield out there, with companies trying to ensure, understandably in some ways, everything raises a fee (sounds like Banking in the future!)

Maybe Mr D can help in this front as well with his industry knowledge.

Apologies if Mike has already covered all this, I miss Refosoul a lot as well, have lost the way in recording my vinyl since it has gone,, but as I say I do symathise with Mike and hopefully we al can in this front.

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Just tried to upload a sound and got this. Thought interesting from the legal/copyright side if things

Cheers

Richard

Copyright Notification: "Capitols - Hello Stranger (Karen 1524 B)"

Our automatic content protection system has identified that your sounds, "Capitols - Hello Stranger (Karen 1524 B)", contain copyright material from the track "Hello Stranger" which is a copyright work owned or administered by Rhino/Elektra. We've blocked the upload of your sounds for the time being.

What can I do about it?

If your sounds contain the copyright material in part only, you may edit your sounds to remove the copyright work and re-submit your sounds to SoundCloud.

If your sounds contain copyright material in part only, you may edit your sounds to remove the copyright work and re-submit your sounds to SoundCloud.

If you believe that copyright material has been mistakenly identified in your sounds, or if you have used copyright material but have all necessary rights, licenses and permissions from the rights holder to upload and share this material on SoundCloud, you can dispute the claim by clicking on the link below.

I want to dispute the copyright claim.

Return to dashboard

Social source share

youtube does this too. If you wanted to get it on you would have to mess with the audio in some way to trick the audio fingerprinting. you can probably google ways to do it. or you could try divshare or megaupload or something.

Tried changing the song title but it still got me - will upload something else instead :D

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

it doesn't identify it via the song title. it does something called "audio fingerprinting". see this:

https://www.csh.rit.edu/~parallax/

basically you have to speed up or slow down the song by a little or change the pitch of the song by a little. or adding a significant amount of noise, almost as much as the track itself.

Thanks Bob

Wow - clever stuff :yes:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

• 7 months later...

On the SoundCloud copyright thing I just got this message today removing a track I had posted up there months ago. Can anyone explain how that might have happened please?

Cheers

Richard

Hi Premium Stuff, Our automatic content protection system has detected that your upload "Edwin Starr - I Have Faith In You (Ric-Tic 109 B)" may contain content that is copyrighted. As a result, we have paused the upload of your audio for the time being. If you are the original creator of the audio in all its parts, or have obtained all necessary licenses and permissions to upload and share this content, please contact us using the form below. (link edited out). Thanks, The SoundCloud team

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert