Betty Wright - (Artist Of The Week)

45cellar

Great singer - found a demo of this in New York for $4, well made up and I know it's not rare but there's something about finding a tune in New York that makes it all that much better , if you know what I mean ?

BETTY WRIGHT - IF YOU LOVE ME , LIKE YOU SAY YOU LOVE ME - ALSTON

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

• Up vote 2
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

....and she's STILL going strong! Have recently acquired a copy of "Life" on Alston. Great. Also well worth getting a copy of the CD she did with The Roots last year "Betty Wright The Movie"...Lots of great tracks but the stand out for me on there is "In the middle of the game". Hope it gets a 7" release this year:

Social source share

My favourite Betty Wright 45:

b/w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pybh5bT58Sc

:thumbsup:

Impecable taste as always Sebastian, and have to agree 100%

As a point of interest, the label was a design of Willie Clarke (his day job was as an art teacher) - who owned the label along with Johnny Pearsall, and was an off-shoot of their Deep City stable, and was Betty's second 45 release (after her Deep City debut 45, recorded at the age of 12).

Betty was also the reason Deep City folded.. Johnny Pearsall was married to Helene Smith and once she (quickly) realised betty was far more vocally talented she insisted her husband DID NOT record any more material with Miss Wright. Of course, Willie Clarke was having non of this and moved on to bigger and better things after taking Betty (and Clarence Reid - my avatar) with him.

The rest - as they say - is history !! :thumbsup:

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

• 8 years later...
On 01/01/2012 at 20:14, Swifty said:

Great singer - found a demo of this in New York for $4, well made up and I know it's not rare but there's something about finding a tune in New York that makes it all that much better , if you know what I mean ?

BETTY WRIGHT - IF YOU LOVE ME , LIKE YOU SAY YOU LOVE ME - ALSTON

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

Had a green copy for yonks.

Only bought a few records in the last 10 years. A white demo of this one of them!

Special track indeed.

Ed

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!