News: Top Tips For 2012

was a Big tune with certain funk collectors in Oz, probably all over, this used to get played every week on Eastside radio in Sydney back in 2004/5.. Great track..

mal

I bought it from Alan Riding who was a jazz record dealer in London 88....he couldn't sell this sort of stuff as everyone was after LP tracks... to me this is northern style funk and just the right tempo.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Sugar Boy has been on refosoul here for some years masquerading under a cover-up name. Great little record.

just had a quick listen to sugar boy as I didn't know it and there seems to be a few ripples judging by the comments on here its received more than any other record mentioned.

Its pretty good but not as good as the little beaver I mentioned :wicked: not in the same league IMO.

and i'm sure peggy babcock will love it that tempo is right up his street. :D

Social source share

was a Big tune with certain funk collectors in Oz, probably all over, this used to get played every week on Eastside radio in Sydney back in 2004/5.. Great track..

mal

Ma - F*ckin - Hoosive tune, Butch played this at the 100 Club few years ago & it sounds awesome out loud, been looking for a copy ever since - feel free to contact me if you have one knockin about.

Best Russ

Social source share

Oh all right I'll join in, if only to get this back on the 'latest topics' page.

The B side of T99 on Hi, speeded up to +6 on yer turntable - great little 60s sound.

I actually was going to post this but couldn't find a youtube clip of it.

p.s. I seem to be very good at killing soul source threads for some reason

Social source share

Sorry folks, been out of action, in bed ill, since I started the thread and not been able to catch up properly from my iPhone.

Bob, you made me smile anyway :D and it certainly seems like that at times.

Certainly most Soul collectors, at one time or another, have picked up a little known 45, just wonderin' (Hopin') if it'll be the next biggie (...and command the biggie price tag to go with it!).

I doubt we've exhausted the thread just yet... there must be plenty more tunes out there that deserve some attention on these pages (if not, we can all wrap up and call it a day LOL).

So tomorrow, I'll do a quick roundup and let's see how the list is looking.

Hopefully the thread will have ignited a bit of interest in a few choice cuts and we'll be hearing some of 'em out and about in the coming months.

So... anymore for anymore?

Let's be knowing!

Cheers,

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Cheers Bob.... What's the title?... is it "Be Your Man"?

I'm onto it while all the others are sleeping LOL!

:wink:

Sean

yeah, this is an example of what I was talking about before actually. I have the sock-it release and have been playing it forever. But I don't really have influence over what takes off in the scene, there is some sort of dynamic between DJs, dancers, collectors, etc. that makes stuff take off or not. I kept losing the 77 release for like $50 on ebay (I was just bidding to collect it on the other label). Then it shot up and now I can't get it for close to that. I bought one off sales on here recently but I traded it for another record I needed since I already had it on sock it.

Social source share

Hey Bob, I know that's what you meant, hence the :wink: .

And you didn't ruin the thread, just added a smile... and a bit of spice!

Its all good and there's some legs in this baby yet! :)

Just had a listen to the track "Be Your Man"... its OK... the McCant Brothers it would appear... but I won't be paying what it seems to be going for!

I like to pick em up for a dollar... and then see em escalate to 20 bucks!

:D

Cheers Bob, you just keep 'em coming.

Like Russ and Kev said already, your contributions are always excellent!

All the best,

Sean

Social source share

ok, this is one that isn't like rising in price or anything (so nothing will happen with it in 2012) but I like to play this one when I DJ, it's a million times better than the three prophets 45 ... I also couldn't find youtube video unfortunately, but it's billy scott and the prophets on 3P "So glad you happened to me".

Social source share

Ah........remebered it now !

Its Robin Hood...Dont be afraid of love....Capitol. From memory Dean Anderson used to play the other side which is a bit more 'northern'.

In fact the version you posted sound exactly like the Robin Hood version.....I hope you're not being a bit naughty with the c/u 's......LOL !

Andy

:D :D :D The one on Capitol is a little slower but Robinhood are actually The George Semper Rhythm Committee rebranded as Robinhood for this lone Capitol single, and is almost a note-for-note re-recording of the same song Semper produced for Hy Mizrahi's Rama :thumbsup: (as is my reply :D check out youtube !!!

..... But I prefer the original first version !!!!!!

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

Ah........remebered it now !

Its Robin Hood...Dont be afraid of love....Capitol. From memory Dean Anderson used to play the other side which is a bit more 'northern'.

In fact the version you posted sound exactly like the Robin Hood version.....I hope you're not being a bit naughty with the c/u 's......LOL !

Andy

This is an old Yarmouth spin Andy.

Social source share

Since everyone seems to have responded with those old fashioned vinyl tunes, here's a few fresher tunes that should get a bit of appreciation for at least a couple of weeks on the dark side....

Sandra St. Little - I am Better - Honeycomb Music

Revelations - I Gotta Have It - Decision Records

Alicia Myers - Journey - Love Town Music

Betty Wright - In The Middle Of The Game - Ms B. Records

James Taylor Quartet - Woman - James Taylor Quartet - Chinchin Records

.... and one for the jazzier heads out there...

Sunlight Square - Skyscrapers - Sunlight Square

No danger in any hype lifting the value of these tunes up for at least 20 years.... :D

Social source share

Since everyone seems to have responded with those old fashioned vinyl tunes, here's a few fresher tunes that should get a bit of appreciation for at least a couple of weeks on the dark side....

Sandra St. Little - I am Better - Honeycomb Music

.... and one for the jazzier heads out there...

No danger in any hype lifting the value of these tunes up for at least 20 years.... :D

I just "discovered" mp3s for the first time. The cd player in my car broke and I have an aux input and was like "I should get an mp3 player so I can listen to music". Then I was like "wait, my phone IS an mp3 player". All of a sudden I had several dozen rap LPs that I have on vinyl from the 90s on my phone and it took like 10 minutes.

Someone who listens to my show asked me what my spotify account was and I was like "what?" She laughed at me in response.

Social source share

Ok all, here's where we are up to, eight days into the year.

From what I've seen and heard, some very tasty tips!

Charles Abdul Khaliq - Just You & Me Girl

Seattle Pure Dynomite - I Wonder Love

Sugar Boy & The Shades Of Black - Free Man - Shades

JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound - "To Love Someone That Don't Love You"

Derobert And The Half-Truth "The Joy"

Emmit Long - Call Me

Lighting & Thunder - Beautiful Feeling

Carltons - Can't You Hear The Beat

Mr.Confuse Featuring Elaine Thomas "Why Can't You See Me "

Roman Candle - Love One Another - Frankford/Wayne

Sledge - Very Strong On You - Cardinal

Barbara Christian - There But For Love - Sympathy

Soul Intentions - Away With Me - Empire

Chuck Strong - I Got To Change My Way Of Living - Aduwa

Monterey - East Mannequin Girl - Genie

Jack Harden - She'll Be Back - Star Shot

Norma Rivers - You're Not Gonna Hurt Me - Genuine

Bonnie Graham - I Confess - Preview

The Contenders - I'll Show You How To Love - Beth

The New Wanderers - Since My Baby Came Back Bell - Ac

Slip And Dell Gotta - Get Away - Modern Arts

The Celebrities - The Rattler - Ten High

Ij Harris - All Ready To Go - Cash

Tornadoes - Won't You Forgive Magic - Touch

Lena Mone - You Stay On My Mind - Asp

Little Beaver - "I'm A Man" - Cat

David Dee - "Every Loving Man" - Time

Knight Brothers - Ghetto Joe

James Knight - There Goes My Baby

Brotherhood - When You Need Me (Tesseract)

Ben Westbeech "Something For The Weekend"

Frank Mitchell Jnr - This Time

Willie Gresham - I Cried Boo Hoo

Bobby Byrd - Back From The Dead

Frankie Newsome - Don't Mess With My Lovemaker

Delia Gatrell - Fight Fire With Fire- Right On

Electric Express- The Real Thing- Linco

Jerry Williams Dynamite Brass - Boogaloo Baby

JJ Jackson - Boogaloo Baby

The Free - Soul Party

Unity And The Downbeats - Love Dream

Donny Mann - Try Me (Wooden Nickel)

Johnny Soul - Hey Baby (The Plea) (Pure Love Records)

Buddy Ace - Pleasing You - Paula.

Eddie Floyd - It's Got To Be That Way - Malaco Lp,

Concervatives - Who Understands - Ebonic Sound

Lonie Jones - Treat Your Baby Right - Jenmark.

Bettye Swann - When The Game Is Played On You - Atlantic,

Leon Byrd - I Got Love/ I Catch Myself Crying - Ss7.

Smokin Shades Of Black - Grease Wheels

The Famous Chromes - Teach Me - Drive

The Decisions - I Do Love Her - York

J. Harris - All Ready To Go - Cash

'I Got To Have You' Melvin Sparks (Westbound),

Harmonics - Be Your Man - Sock-It / 77

Billy Scott And The Prophets "So Glad You Happened To Me" 3p

George Semper - Don't Be Afraid - Rama Rama

Roy Cortez Butler - "Mary's House Part 2" - Boo

Sandra St. Little - I Am Better - Honeycomb Music

Charles Abdul Khaliq - Corner Boy

T99 - We Got Everything - Hi

Anymore before we call it a day?

:0)

Thanks for all contributions thus far.

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

you forgot my charles abdul khaliq corner boy

No I didn't Mark, I saw it and read it as a comment on Simon M's first post and that some obscure DJ known as 'Corner Boy' had just got it!

:P

Will squeeze it in for you... if you ask me nice! :D

On that subject, t'would be really helpful if people listed Artist - Title - Label in the way I've formatted the above!

Cheers,

Sean

Social source share

And what's happened to T99 Mr H? Not the side they keep putting out on CD's but the dancer side "We got everything"? :unsure:

Mr G,

With no title suggested it couldn't be considered a proper Top Tip.

Also, if it requires +6 before it becomes a 'dancer' then I'm not sure that would be 'proper' either.

However, since you've now provided the title, I'll review the situation.

:D

Sean

Social source share

N'Cole "Thank you for the love" Just a great modern tune probs just me but a belter to these ears, the other side "Your gonna need this love" also nice and has had plays but the flip is the one for me sorry cant upload tune if anyone could that would be great oh on Millineum

Kieran

Edited by fifesoul
Social source share

• yes i agree kieran, i discovered the b side recently (having only previously played the a side) and it's great.

Yeah its awsome got massive potential imo its been in the hot box for about 7 year so that means the only peeps who will hear it is me the wife and the dog :)

Social source share

It's odd though since I got it as a new release and never played this side until a couple of months ago and whoosh! Easily the best side. What's a hot box? :lol:

HOT BOX = hot box is a 50 record box of your current fave 45,s. Also a few mates who used to have largish collections have whittled it down to about 50 updating the box by selling and replacing 45s in it :0 :0

Edited by fifesoul
Social source share

ok this time I promise not to be naughty again with the sticky tape....

It's known by some collectors but it gets very little dance floor action in the UK !!! Propper obscure mid tempo gem which is very seldom played out but once you hear it a few times it really grows on ya !!!!

C'mon guys there are many more tunes to be added!!! I wish Butch would add some of his new 60's/70's discoveries :thumbsup:

Ronnie Baker The Big Wide World Jell

• Helpful 1
Social source share

that seattle pure dynamite is crazy long -- just under 7 minutes. I thought it must be one of the longest soul 45s I've ever seen but I recently got a jim gilstrap 45 that had a short / long version and I swear it was over 7 1/2 minutes on the long side. Either way, with a long 45 it will be even rarer to have playable copies since they are pressed super low and you need a very clean copy, every tiny scratch will be really loud.

Social source share

ok this time I promise not to be naughty again with the sticky tape....

It's known by some collectors but it gets very little dance floor action in the UK !!! Propper obscure mid tempo gem which is very seldom played out but once you hear it a few times it really grows on ya !!!!

C'mon guys there are many more tunes to be added!!! I wish Butch would add some of his new 60's/70's discoveries :thumbsup:

Thats really nice, great track.

Ronnie Baker The Big Wide World Jell

Social source share

that seattle pure dynamite is crazy long -- just under 7 minutes. I thought it must be one of the longest soul 45s I've ever seen but I recently got a jim gilstrap 45 that had a short / long version and I swear it was over 7 1/2 minutes on the long side. Either way, with a long 45 it will be even rarer to have playable copies since they are pressed super low and you need a very clean copy, every tiny scratch will be really loud.

Mines ok , also I fade it out when it becomes disjointed for the dancers . Speaking of long play times on 7'' The Tavasco ballad was near to 8 mins if I remeber rightly ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!