The Distinctive Sound Of Soul Vocals

Guest Kent W

Guest Kent W

A friend recently asked me why I like northern soul and I was trying to describe that unique, old-timey character of soul vocals and couldn't quite put it in words. How would you describe the distinctive character of soul vocals? In particular, I'm thinking of Joy Lovejoy - "In Orbit" (Youtube).

Of course, the women are different from the men, and even the women are different from each other, as Joy Lovejoy is not a deep, powerful singer like Etta James or Sharon Jones.

Do you think production was a major factor? In particular, on "In Orbit" there are times when she's singing loudly ("came like a bolt of lightning") and it sounds like it's clipping "I'm not sure if this is the correct technical term but it sounds like the vocals are too loud and not recorded properly, which is something you'd never hear on a modern song. That seems to give it a unique "old-timey" sound.

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

how to explain something you feel....... you know it when you hear it, but to explain it to someone that cant....., as the old saying goes, if you have to explain it to someone, then it is normally a waste of time. dosnt answer your question really but was my immediate thought.

happy new year to all.

Rob.

Social source share

you have to feel it in your soul..seems like the artist were singing about real episodes that occured in their life and wanted their cries to be heard..and literally sang their hearts out..and with that, theres so much feeling in the song when you play it..thats just my opinion..everyone has their own perspective..but songs like "My heart is broken" by the Four Dudes just does it for me..I was listening to the Charles Russel interview on the Sitting in the park show and he tells the story about the song "My heart is broken" and how he came up with the lyrics..very personal and emotional and that gives the song even more feeling.

"they say a good song writer writes from the heart"

Charles Russel-lead singer of the Four Dudes

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert