Dan And The Clean Cuts/dan And The Clean Cut Clan-Anyone Know Much About This Group?

Robbk

Dan and The Clean Cuts/Dan and The Clean Cut Clan-Anyone know much about this group?

This was a Soul group, ostensibly operating out of L.A. (?), on Accent Records in 1964, and Scepter Records in 1965 and 1966.

Their Accent release, "The Perfect Example", was a very nice early Soul ballad. I'd bet it was from 1964, not too long before Dan and The Clean Cuts signed with Scepter Records. i have a few records by them on Scepter from 1965. I'm pretty sure that Accent label was located in Hollywood, CA. I read that Dan & Clean-Cuts were from LA., but I'm not sure where they came from, originally. Don Ralke, one of their Scepter producers, worked out of L.A. And Gene Page, one of their Scepter arrangers, a;so worked in L.A. I'm not sure who Bloor-Hoffman were, but they were one of their production groups. I don't remember Edward Jackson as an L.A. arranger. But, I guess he also worked out of L.A.

Their releases of which I know include:

Accent 1116 "The Perfect Example"/bw "Broken Hip Party" 1964

Scepter 1289 "One love, Not Two"/"Good Morning" 1965

Scepter 12115 "Co-Operation"/"Walkin' With Pride" 1965

Scepter 12141 "open Up Your Heart"/"Let Love Win" 1966

Here's a link to the You-Tube page on which you can hear the Accent A-side, and also "Co-Operation", and "Walking With Pride" from one of their 2 Scepter releases:

/watch?v=s7ia4O78r2E

/watch?v=xysbD-tWVTo

/watch?v=sWNke6zRCE8

dancleancutclan.png

By
at 2012-01-03

dancleancuts2.jpg

By
at 2012-01-03

dancleancuts3.png

Uploaded with

Here's a quote from Al Johnson, one of the group's members:

"I sang with¯»¿ this group in the 60's. Members: Art Dansby, Ed Johnson, Paul ? and me, Al Johnson. Those were the good old days of R&B."

Art Dansby was producer on the Accent record, and was the group's songwriter and creative leader, and clearly must be "Dan". Alonzo (Lonzo) Coleman was lead on their Accent recordings, and it sounds like him on their Scepter cuts. Yet, he wasn't listed as a group member by Al Johnson.

I remember meeting Al Johnson, as a Soul songwriter, aspiring singing artist and drifter in and out of Soul groups at the time, in L.A. in the late 1960s (maybe after he left Dan and the Clean Cuts-or IF he was a different Al Johnson).

Does anyone know anything else about the group, or Alonzo Coleman?

clear.gif Edit Post clear.gif Reply clear.gif Reply With Quote

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Navigation Soulful Detroit Forum Top

reply_40b.png Quick Reply

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

The accent record comes with a pic sleeve. I've seen it a couple times with it but didn't care at the time, now I don't have the accent 45 because I don't want to buy it without the pic sleeve.

Their best 45 IMO is Scepter 12115 - walkin' with pride / cooperation. two good sides. Lots of the other stuff is throwaway for me. Let love win is another decent one.

Social source share

Yes Ive got it on Enith - Always thought it was a white group to be honest! My first learning curve of 2012

They sound a little "White" on "Co-Operation", but clearly sound very Soulful on all their other cuts.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

They are a blue-eyed group aren't they, I always presumed they were??

I think they're black but I totally don't even remember their race from the pic sleeve the one time I actually saw it (the other time it was on some list). I tried to find an image of it but couldn't.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!