Commenting On Ebay Sales

Steve G

Is it inappropriate to pass comment on ebay sales which haven't finished yet?

I realise it might p*ss the seller off (if they are on here), but what do others think?

Fair game or bad form?

Say for example someone puts up for sale a badly produced punk record up and says it's a holy grail modern dancer, with a stupid price?

Genuine question.

Social source share

Is it inappropriate to pass comment on ebay sales which haven't finished yet?

I realise it might p*ss the seller off (if they are on here), but what do others think?

Fair game or bad form?

Say for example someone puts up for sale a badly produced punk record up and says it's a holy grail modern dancer, with a stupid price?

Genuine question.

post away steve....if you state its your opinion then that would be fine imvho

atb moldie

Social source share

I'm actually thinking of starting a thread up which alerts people to hidden gems on eBay that I spot .

Things I'm not interested in though ;)

Anybody object ??

you will put me out of work nev :lol:

atb moldie

Social source share

I personally hate when people post up live ebay auctions that people here might want to bid on. The exceptions are a) really stupid listings, like delusional sellers or overpriced boots b) auctions that have have ended c) well listed holy grail items that people will see anyways so that the posts here won't make a real difference in the price or d) buy it nows.

either way, my opinion doesn't matter because nobody is going to add this rule anytime soon.

Social source share

ridiculous prices will iron themselves out with a no sale.

boots should be outed as should mickey taking thieving sellers.

but if its live and doesn't fit these then just leave it till its finished, even if you don't like the way its written.

if people want to hype something with their own advertising bo@@@=ks then let them get on with it.

my personal favourites are the ones alluding to a tune being 'unknown' with no soundfile, expecting you to shell out $800. planet oxymoron

Social source share

I've no problem Steve, it isn't as though they are a secret, they auctions are in the public domain. It is a free world regardless of what some might think.

yeah, but some things are a needle in a haystack. i feel like it's obnoxious if you have put a lot of effort into finding some semi-known thing for your collection and then have it advertised to many people.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What about people who use the words 'the Bay' as an abbreviation? It's longer than 'Ebay" you tw*ts.

Oh and anyone who uses the words 'holy grail and even worse than that, just 'grail'. Idiots.

Pete ..its not an abreviation mate ...its just "Cooler" man :P

Edited by NEV
Social source share

Ok this one caught my eye. Obviously a soul seller but having heard the sound clip I don't get this one at all. Shocking to me.

https://www.ebay.com/...L-/120837188386

:huh: Heard the clip. Sounds like an 80's Pat Benatar, pop-esque, disco floor-filler. Maybe the seller is using the wrong soundclip? You are therefore at liberty, IMO, to contact the seller with any specific comment/ query!

:wave: This is my first ever reply to a Soul Source post by the way....

Social source share

yeah, but some things are a needle in a haystack. i feel like it's obnoxious if you have put a lot of effort into finding some semi-known thing for your collection and then have it advertised to many people.

:thumbsup: I totaly agree Bob. It's bad enough IMO the site having ebay advertisements constantly showing to those that opt for them. It's very frustrating to see that something your watching is suddenly broadcast to the whole of soul source.

Commenting on ridiculous prices/boots etc is a different matter of course.

:hatsoff2: - Kev.

Social source share

:thumbsup: I totaly agree Bob. It's bad enough IMO the site having ebay advertisements constantly showing to those that opt for them. It's very frustrating to see that something your watching is suddenly broadcast to the whole of soul source.

You mean like the Guitar Ray that is now the 2nd most popular soul record ..since Rod pointed out what a shagged copy it is :ohmy:

Social source share

You mean like the Guitar Ray that is now the 2nd most popular soul record ..since Rod pointed out what a shagged copy it is :ohmy:

Yes, like the Guitar Ray, though I doubt that would have gone unnoticed for long (oh look - it's there on the site's ebay ad). That particular item was probably correctly graded and a soundclip was supplied, the rest of the blurb that was objected to was likely the sellers standard format for his vinyl sales so I had no problem with it.

:g: Probably more like pete S and his recent good fortune with the mis-spelt "Epitone Of Sound" find on ebay, where his hard work and good fortune could so easily have been for nothing had it been posted about on here.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

Edited by KevinKent
Social source share

Yes, like the Guitar Ray, though I doubt that would have gone unnoticed for long (oh look - it's there on the site's ebay ad). That particular item was probably correctly graded and a soundclip was supplied, the rest of the blurb that was objected to was likely the sellers standard format for his vinyl sales so I had no problem with it.

:g: Probably more like pete S and his recent good fortune with the mis-spelt "Epitone Of Sound" find on ebay, where his hard work and good fortune could so easily have been for nothing had it been posted about on here.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

Yeah but nobody who'd found that would have told anyone else about it...would they?

Social source share

Not quite getting this.

When I had money for 45s I trawled Ebay. Most sections.Even C&W on occasions just in case. I wasn't the only person doing it as there were bids on soul 45s in say the Blues, Garage or Misc. The only thing you could miss was something you didn't know or didn't want.

Just because there are a few bids and price is low with a couple of days to go on an auction does not mean that few have seen it. If you're like me you look at the last 24 hours [finishing soonest]. I guess there are those who look at newly listed auctions and try the make an offer approach or get an early bid in.

The only time I can see posting on here having any effect is if it were some massive c/u and who'd be daft enough to ruin their own chances at getting it if it was unknown to everyone else.

Pete was lucky that others missed it. A couple of bids [and Im always surprised how few bids there are on these 45s considering the global reach of Ebay] and Pete's massive bargain might have been a lot dearer.

Hope I've not given anything away there by suggesting members search every category not just Northern or Soul. Have a mate on here who thought Ebay was just the UK site until I pointed him to US Ebay and all the other possibilities.

ROD

Social source share

:huh: Heard the clip. Sounds like an 80's Pat Benatar, pop-esque, disco floor-filler. Maybe the seller is using the wrong soundclip? You are therefore at liberty, IMO, to contact the seller with any specific comment/ query!

:wave: This is my first ever reply to a Soul Source post by the way....

Thanks and welcome to replying on soul source, keep posting etc.......It is I believe the same song as the record you can hear the title etc.

Social source share

There's a seller on e-bay that lists almost everything as "Northern Soul" - this week he's got these classics listed as Northern.

Captain Beefheart, Steely Dan, Beach Boys,Chet Atkins, Jethro Tull, Jim Croce, George Jones and Tammy Wynette,

Tony Bennett, Black Oak Arkansas, Yes and my favorite-

"Rock Around The Clock" by Bill Haley and the Comets !!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not quite getting this.

When I had money for 45s I trawled Ebay. Most sections.Even C&W on occasions just in case. I wasn't the only person doing it as there were bids on soul 45s in say the Blues, Garage or Misc. The only thing you could miss was something you didn't know or didn't want.

Just because there are a few bids and price is low with a couple of days to go on an auction does not mean that few have seen it. If you're like me you look at the last 24 hours [finishing soonest]. I guess there are those who look at newly listed auctions and try the make an offer approach or get an early bid in.

The only time I can see posting on here having any effect is if it were some massive c/u and who'd be daft enough to ruin their own chances at getting it if it was unknown to everyone else.

Pete was lucky that others missed it. A couple of bids [and Im always surprised how few bids there are on these 45s considering the global reach of Ebay] and Pete's massive bargain might have been a lot dearer.

Hope I've not given anything away there by suggesting members search every category not just Northern or Soul. Have a mate on here who thought Ebay was just the UK site until I pointed him to US Ebay and all the other possibilities.

ROD

Wouldn't have been a lot dearer really though Rod as my top bid was £55 and I would have still doubled that when I sold it, which is why I only bid £55.

I do the same as you usually, just look at the 'ending today's.

Social source share

Thanks and welcome to replying on soul source, keep posting etc.......It is I believe the same song as the record you can hear the title etc.

You are right, the title is in there! And thanks for the welcome to soul source forum Steve. Cheers. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Life's a bitch as they say!! There's in all probability more than just Soul Source members who have seen any particular item, you don't know how many are watching and the counter isn't always on the ball. It is a world wide market as you are well aware.

We've had this discussion before and it would be inappropriate for one member to tell another to stop talking about a particular listing on evilbay. It is a discussion forum about all things Soul and ebay and any other auction site for that matter fall under that umbrella. People who seem to be against talking about ebay don't mind talking about other auction sites so why should ebay be treated any different?

Social source share

Life's a bitch as they say!! There's in all probability more than just Soul Source members who have seen any particular item, you don't know how many are watching and the counter isn't always on the ball. It is a world wide market as you are well aware.

We've had this discussion before and it would be inappropriate for one member to tell another to stop talking about a particular listing on evilbay. It is a discussion forum about all things Soul and ebay and any other auction site for that matter fall under that umbrella. People who seem to be against talking about ebay don't mind talking about other auction sites so why should ebay be treated any different?

:wink: Chalky, I'm not telling anyone to do or not to do anything. The initial post was asking for peoples views on the subject and I've given mine. I don't expect it to make the least difference to what anybody actually does :lol: .

Social source share

:wink: Chalky, I'm not telling anyone to do or not to do anything. The initial post was asking for peoples views on the subject and I've given mine. I don't expect it to make the least difference to what anybody actually does :lol: .

I realise that I could have replied to three or four but yours happened to be the last one I read who were in some sort of disagreement and my reply was more a general reply :thumbsup:

Social source share

I'm looking for oddball titles. Most of the other people looking for the same thing are in a similar position and wouldn't snitch on soul source. What's annoying is someone who doesn't know anything about it accidentally seeing it and posting some "What's this?" post while it's still live. Like when you're at a record show and someone who doesn't even collect soul pulls out a longtime want in front of you and doesn't even know what it is but buys it.

Anyways, I'm not advocating that you have some sort of hard rule and especially not saying that anyone tell other people they can't post. However, it would be nice as a general code of conduct.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

What about people who use the words 'the Bay' as an abbreviation? It's longer than 'Ebay" you tw*ts.

Oh and anyone who uses the words 'holy grail and even worse than that, just 'grail'. Idiots.

you twats, is longer than W*nkers it is Pete :D

i like it when people post up tunes that are on Ebay here on SS cos it might be something im after that i might of missed, bolox to you lot its a war when it comes to my wants and may the best man win :lol:

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

I don't see the issue here.

If I stumble across something rare on eBay that's going for pennies, then even if I don't want it then I'll STFU and buy it if I can, with the idea of flogging it on again.

If it's a boot... post and laugh

If it's going for the right sort of money, then obviously enoough people know about it for it not to be considered a secret.

Not an issue

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!