Records that make you happy

I'm talkin' 'bout ones that make you laugh, smile, grin with joy whenever they come on no matter how pissed off you are.

The Olympics 'The Same Old Thing' Mirwood

The Pageants 'Make It Last' Groove

Gloria Jones 'Run One Flight Of Stairs'

Sensations 'Demanding Man'

Jerry-O 'Karate Boogaloo'

Actually there are even more pop ones; Slaughter & The Dogs 'You're A Bore', Young Rascals 'A Girl Like You', Housemartins, 'Sheep', Beach Boys 'Wouldn't It Be Nice', They Might Be Giants 'You're Not The Boss Of Me', Smiths 'Panic'. Come on everyone "Hang the Dj, Hang the Dj, Hang the Dj".

Social source share

• Replies 46
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Shalimars - Stop and take a look at yourself

Greater Experience - Dont forget to Remember

The Jam - Thick as Thieves.

Eat - Electric City

Social source share

A lot of Jimmy Lewis records really make me chuckle. His spoken asides are usually hilarious. Just his whole philosophy and the spontaneity and sincerity of his records always make them a joy to listen to.

I find that many of the classic 1970s Bobby Womack sides share this feeling too, "Facts Of Life", "Close To You", "Doing It My Way" etc. All masterpieces of direct and very human communication: the essence of Soul really.

Bobby Patterson's "I'm In Love With You" always makes me smile, even though if you actually listen to the lyrics it's really rather downbeat:

"I know you belong to someone else, but I just can't help myself..."

Eddie Floyd's "Bring It On Home To Me" is an amazing feel-good soul record too.

Social source share

Picture the scene,

Mature student standing alone at the train station, people watching as you wait for that 4.30 train home that is always late.

A humble soulful voice echoing in the back of your mind as you wish the train would hurry up and take you away from this platform of despair.

Men, women, kids, the odd tramp and general nobody's.

Mr Don Thomas building up his vocals helping you to will the train along, knowing that these nobodies will never escape their hum-drum lives.

But come the weekend your soul will be free and dancing to sounds that no-one can imagine.

Don Thomas- Come on Train always hits me at this time, never ending class.

H.

Social source share

I'm talkin' 'bout ones that make you laugh, smile, grin with joy whenever they come on no matter how pissed off you are.

Actually there are even more pop ones; Slaughter & The Dogs 'You're A Bore', Young Rascals 'A Girl Like You', Housemartins, 'Sheep', Beach Boys 'Wouldn't It Be Nice', They Might Be Giants 'You're Not The Boss Of Me', Smiths 'Panic'. Come on everyone "Hang the Dj, Hang the Dj, Hang the Dj".

I'll go along with the Sensations Ady great record finally having it's day.

Social source share

William Bell, Happy, on Stax for obvious reasons

Also always chuckle at Betty Lloyd 'I'm Catching On'...he's breaking dates, neglecting to call, taking out other girls, she phones him 100 times and a voice says he's not there...and she's just catching on?! Great, great song but this bird's no genius is she?

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

hehe good thread...

"skiing in the snow" always makes me smile, i remember one time we partied at my house before going out and i was, errmm, really really pissed, my last memory before going out is my friend Johannes simulatiing a sk-downhill race in my sofa to the exact same song...

Horrible track though..

best

Leo

Social source share

Wake up boo - the boo radleys (sorry was it supposed to be a soul record?)

How much did the sensations go for, I missed it due to being stuck in France (and I neeeeeeeeeeeeed a copy :-))

Social source share

skyy - this groove is bad

i heard it for the first time on friday & cant stop listening to it, it's so daft

n more:

little richard - lucille

the jewels - we got togetherness

thin lizzy - jailbreak

the sweet - blockbuster

Sl2 - on a ragga tip

the salvadors - stick by me baby

willie mitchell - the champion

sly n the family stone - dance to the music

west street mob - electric boogie

professor longhair - big chief

any one of the above will have me screaming n giving the rock salute (clenched fist punching the air)

Social source share

Chuck Jackson- I only get this feeling. Love the lyrics " I only get this feelin' when I KNOW you won't say no...." Kinda makes it sound so soulful, but impassioned at the same time. Pure control.

Bunny Sigler- Girl don't make me wait. The drums are outstanding, with the rolls right on the lead into the chorus very reminiscent of the Motown sound. He gotta dirty voice too!

Brenda Holloway- I'll always love you. First thing Kolla got me and was amazed cos I never knew how she knew Brenda Holloway was one of my favorit artists....

As with everyone else there are too many to list but I know i'll never get tired of listening to those either...

Non soul-

Housemartins- Happy Hour. Happyvideo happysound happychappies

Tony Christie - Avenues and alleyways cuz me old man used to sing it

The Jam- Bitterest Pill(I ever had to swallow) Cos I like the duality of the lyrics and the video was hilarious......

Social source share

It's got to be

Phyliss Brown Oh Baby

HB Barnum Hurts too much to cry

Ceasers La La I love you

Connie Van Dyke don't do nothing

Sonny Daye It's a long long road

Martells Where can my baby be

Antiques Go for yourself

Mellow souls just you and I

Yeah feeling uplifted already............

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I actually meant happy as in smiling with great joy and buzzing all over with positive vibes. I know its personal but I can't see how say Dena Barnes or HB Barnum could elicit that type of emotion but it must be different strokes for different folks.

Maybe in the same way as the Smiths record you chose? He makes me feel suicidal, even before he starts singing.

;/

Social source share

Got to agree. Morrissey has always been misunderstood - he can be extremely funny. One of the greats in my opinion - not so much musically but his writing is fantastic. Also many of the Paul Heaton (beautiful south/housemartins) songs can also be hilarious. I think some of the replies on here have missed the point.

Shane

Social source share

Soul:

Jimmy Soul Clark - Sweet Darlin'

Showmen - Our Love Will Grow

Valentinos - Sweeter Than The Day Before

Non-soul:

Wannadies - You and Me Song

Bluebells - Young At Heart

Pogues f. Kirsty MacColl (RIP) - The Fairytale of New York

Style Council - Shout To The Top

Actually saw Morrissey at the Leeds festival at the weekend - was on great form and was the star of the sunday for me - great set - pi$$ed on White Syripes etc. And no word of a lie, it rained all weekend - the rain held off until exactly the moment he left the stage and then it went back to monsoon!!!

Social source share

Four Tops - Something About You or Baby I Need Your Loving, uplifting music of the best especially when played in the middle of a set of rarities, reminds you that sometimes the best did rise to the top.

Cheers

Jock

PS I am sure Mr Croasdell knicked these for his set after hearing them played by the adventurous lads from up North (and I mean Scotland not Watford Ady!).

Cheers

Social source share

Oh Dear Ady, realised not made it to the 100 club in a while but never realised you now played at a 80's revival night also.

What have you started, the Smiths & Housemartins, thought I had jumped to wrong site!!

Well enough cheek for Ady, small note to say hope anniversary goes well, as I am overseas another night I will miss!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Joey Scarbury - Midnight Mail.

Mainly due to an all night off-our-heads session when we dissected the record and eventually came to the conclusion that the bloke was mad to be freezing his arse off waiting for a train at Midnight when he could be sat at home waiting for the postman to bring the letter in the morning, and besides the mail wouldn't be sorted yet and he'd be there all night trying to find one letter that may or may not exist among a whole train full of mail etc etc etc...

You had to be there. What am I saying, you've all been there!

And, Compared to What, not sure why I find twisted children killing frogs and preachers filling us with fright so uplifting, but I do. Nurse!

Social source share

Paul Sindab - I Can't Wait No Longer - Kasika & Dave Love - Calalined Baby - Solid Soul... Two of the happiest tune's in the world and very similar in their own way. Both make me happy everytime I hear 'em!!

Also The Hamilton Movement - She's Gone - Up Look... I know the song's about heartbreak so therefore is sad, but I manage to see past this and appreciate the sheer vocal quality and just how magnificent this record is and grin from ear to ear!! :-)

Social source share

put me out of misery! just what was the series featuring "avenues and alleyways" as closing theme think was 30 min long episodes -??

on "smile on your face" one which always makes me smile, then raise a rolling arm and sing along is "Delegates Of Soul" which also has to be a northern in your car shoutalong anthem

Social source share

isley's 'this old heard' always makes me smile, as does chubby's 'everythings wrong' - an anthem the last time I was in the Falklands as it summed the whole bol&%@ks up totally.

others, such as any old drifters - back row, saturday night, etc and o'jays 'dig your act/hold on bring back happy memories from my youth

bobby paris 'night owl' - dropping me pants on me 21st at the miners welfare in shirebrook and getting off (she must have liked me cos I spewed all over the bar in the carter lane later on).

johnny moore's 'walk like a man' - somebody used to play this at the baseball ground back in the 70s when we were the best team in Europe. aaggh, them were happy days

another one that makes me grin is emile fords 'on a slow boat to china' - always seems to get played at weddings back home and incite fat blokes to start shedding cloths (don't ask me why).

Social source share

Apple,peaches,pumkin pie...I was in Earwaves record shop last year and me and the owner were saying what a bag of shite it was...2 mins later in walks a scooter lad and asked the owner if he had a copy, spooky..the shop owner had to keep a straight face and take the fiver..This was one of the first tunes i bought way back then along with Murial Day ''9 times out of ten''oooooooooh no..we all learn, well most of us..Hope Ady gives it a spin at the anniversary

Social source share

Still Waters and I get a feelin' - Four Tops get me smilin

Millie jackson- House for sale always makes me happy "come see the kitchin, it'll blow your mind" Stonkin good clean fun.

And when I need to lift my self from the drudgery of work and reality, I soar to the clouds with Teddy P-Life is a song worth singin, f*cking electric.

Social source share

OOh OOh, Blowin up my mind by some great soul chick whos name i dont know, a crackin good tune about a girl who loves getting her brains banged out, she loves C**K

Social source share

"Its like puttin a cannon underneath my chin and then declarin war on me now how can i win"

What a song, heres another line, just for fun

"Its almost like eating beef by the pond and wrappin up in adhesive tape from the waist down"

Social source share

Avenues and Alleyways was from The Protectors.

I used to love that tune - I was only 3 at the time mind you.

Think it was The PERSUADERS with Roger Moore and Tony Curtis.

Del Capri.....That reminds me, " Hey Little Girl " is anudda one...

Social source share

Dunno if anyone's mentioned this cos I haven't been keeping up with this one.. my happy tune at the moment is Marvin Gaye - Sunny.. never fails to make me smile!

Social source share

another one about night sports was 'COOL OFF' - Detroit Execs apparently??

To be more accurate its about being piped off! sorry to be crude ;-)

Anyone confirm this?

Shane

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!