Common Labels/rare Records.?

There are often contractual disputes which prevent a record getting distributed at the last moment or 'pulled'. Or the preceding record becomes a big hit so the company puts all their efforts into promoting that. Or it just doesn't get the airplay they'd hoped for. Or the Promotional / A&R men don't distribute them and they get binned instead. Or the artist has signed somewhere else by the time the record comes out. Or the thing was never going to get properly promoted, but it came as part of a job lot (e.g. three groups on a deal to get a record out on a label and despite putting it out the company never gets behind the third one). Or there's a fault on the pressing (could even include mis-spelling or omitted names)...many reasons, even for larger labels.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Prehaps not as rare as the 2 examplesd give but 2 on decca that i think are pretty rare.

rayons "i'm giving up" and tony ashley "i'll go crazy" thety are actually consecutive label numbers as well and the tony ashley features the rayons on backing vocals.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Prehaps not as rare as the 2 examplesd give but 2 on decca that i think are pretty rare.

rayons "i'm giving up" and tony ashley "i'll go crazy" thety are actually consecutive label numbers as well and the tony ashley features the rayons on backing vocals.

...Sorry to be a pedant, but there ARE no backing vocals on 'I'll Go Crazy'... :wicked:

Agree with you about the rarity factor, though. If only it was as good as Don Bryant's much cheaper version on Hi...

Social source share

Ivories on Wand, withdrawn.... Inspirations on breakthrough, 2-3 copies, these two always get the blood moving..... no promo of Inspirations I think given it was a little label...

I assume were not including releases that made promo, got withdrawn and re issued on the same label due to label miss spelling or quality issues here? cause that would open it up..

on the other way round Tim Brown had an issue of Jimmy Mack - my world is on fire, and a Red mercury issue of Jimmy Hart - tea House in China town quite recently very nice

and there is a Promo of Chrysler & Monarch's band on the bay at the mo, never seen that before..

have I drifted?

Mal.C

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

As I've said before on here, Landa is hardly a rare label and Don Covay is certainly not a a rare artist but I've never turned up a copy of Don's 'You're Good For Me' on said label in 40+ years of looking - although I know it exists as both a demo and a stocker as I've seen scans of both.

I've posted up a want for it on here on at least one occasion, maybe more. And it's never gone through eBay in the 10 years or so that I've been a member.

Why would a single on a nationally distributed label (by Jamie-Guyden) by an artist who'd already had several near hits on Columbia be so stupidly rare, I wonder?

Social source share

I've always wondered about Mel Williams on Buddah - either they got disposed of or one day someone is going to find a pile of them

they must be out there Kev.. one day!! there are quite a few 45's that say taken from LP that I've never seen also, world funkiest band, and Ernest baker - alone again are two standouts..

i am drifting, sorry folks.

m

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

I've always wondered about Mel Williams on Buddah - either they got disposed of or one day someone is going to find a pile of them

Mel Williams is more down to demand than being rare, most copies are and will probably remain in collections.

There are alot harder releases on Buddah for instance Janice Joyce and Triboro Exchange Issue for example :g:

Dave

Social source share

As I've said before on here, Landa is hardly a rare label and Don Covay is certainly not a a rare artist but I've never turned up a copy of Don's 'You're Good For Me' on said label in 40+ years of looking - although I know it exists as both a demo and a stocker as I've seen scans of both.

I've posted up a want for it on here on at least one occasion, maybe more. And it's never gone through eBay in the 10 years or so that I've been a member.

Why would a single on a nationally distributed label (by Jamie-Guyden) by an artist who'd already had several near hits on Columbia be so stupidly rare, I wonder?

I regularly read the web version of Billboard Magazine and in the R&B section of November 1964, it has it as a "record to watch" and surely at that time apart from DJ's playing it, you couldn't have had a better place to plug a record....

Social source share

In the case of those two records, they were never issued, Bernie Williams was distributed as dj copies but I bet very few Billy Woods demos were even sent out for some reason.

Know what you mean though. Yum YUms on ABC for a start.

Yum YUms on ABC Too right Pete, theres another prime example for you, funny how theres not really one from the RCA stable?

Social source share

Yum YUms on ABC Too right Pete, theres another prime example for you, funny how theres not really one from the RCA stable?

there are lots of 70s records on RCA that are extremely difficult to find as stock copies with a different b-side (which always seem to be better for some reason).

Social source share

Rare issues are another subject altogether - sometimes because the record company abandoned the release after promo due to lack of response, and ditched the stock.

And that Steve is what makes collecting real /original records opposed to re-issues ....pieces of plastic that have a hidden story waiting to be unearthed ..some of which we will probably never know ,but remain hopeful eh :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

...Sorry to be a pedant, but there ARE no backing vocals on 'I'll Go Crazy'... :wicked:

Agree with you about the rarity factor, though. If only it was as good as Don Bryant's much cheaper version on Hi...

You don't need to tell me that I have the record :wink:

the rayons sing on the flip but I suspect you already know that.

Social source share

I also think this version is better than Don Bryant.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

sam williams on tower isn't a rare record IMO.

OK how about this one Where are the demo's ?

or this rare as hens teeth !

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

OK how about this one Where are the demo's ?

or this rare as hens teeth !

I can't see youtube embedded links on this computer what are they ?

And don't get me wrong i'd love a copy of sam williams as its a brilliant record but i'm not paying the kind of money it sells for. I have the deep soul flip on a small label and that is a seriously hard to find record but not the kind of thing being discussed here.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

1st one is The Andantes "like a" Nightmare on VIP Stock copy

and the 2nd is Try me for your new love by Junior McCants on King

Social source share

1st one is The Andantes "like a" Nightmare on VIP Stock copy

and the 2nd is Try me for your new love by Junior McCants on King

can't disagree with you on those two :D

I'm going to have to splash some cash on a new laptop soon this is driving me nuts :(

Social source share

I have a killer northern record on dimension by the Delacardos. I've only seen it the one time I got it, although it is on the dimension discography at soulfulkindamusic.net. It sounds sort of like the hollywood fames dance senorita but more cleanly produced and better imo. So the artist and label are big but the record is rare for some reason.

Social source share

All the Sensations 45's are just great tho, my fave is 'New day', at least I didn't have to sell my kidney for that one.

I agree this is the best one, the flip is killer too. Honestly, the rare one is mediocre compared to the other ones which are all killer.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!