Common Labels/rare Records.?

Harry Crosby

I love the bit where he says

the vinyl looks the lower end of VG over all lots of hairlines fingernail scratches

but i doubt you will want to play it that often due to it's rarity ! :D

Yeah, noticed that bit of 'salesmanship', he he.

See other items? That Eptones looks interesting, no bargains for sure.

That one sided Beatles on Swan looks the best investment :thumbsup:

Wouldn't of minded that Joe Jama though, out of my league that.

Aid.

Social source share

Another big label, Decca, don't see too many Johnny Caswells hanging around these days.

Aid.

loads of promos around and turns up all the time

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Cynthia & Imaginations - Why Weren't You There (I Needed You) on Blue Rock

No idea why it's rare though :g:

Cheers

Richard

I don't think that record got into shops. I didn't see it in Chicago, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Kansas City, L.A. San Francisco, or Oakland(or even Detroit, for that matter). It probably didn't have much, if any marketing push from Mercury. It probably didn't have much of an initial press run. And most of what was pressed up probably ended up getting destroyed. I saw hundreds of copies of their other Blue Rock release, and saw it as regular stock in stores (but NOT "Why Weren't You There"). Mercury had a LOT of other releases on their main label, Smash, Philips, Fontana, Blue Rock and Limelight to keep track of and to push. It must have gotten lost in the shuffle. And wasn't Thelma Lindsey's out at the same time (or a little sooner)? Maybe mercury didn't want to spend time and money on unknown artists to split minute sales with a similar version of the same song?

Social source share

My main interest is in records from the 1960s, I don't know much about records from the 1970s, especially soul

Based on my experience and the comments here, I'll make a list of rare records on major labels. This list will include garage as well as soul, since I know more about certain garage records and why they are rare - might be useful. For now I am not going to mention stock or promo, in most cases promos will be much more available. This list is 1960s based (I don't consider anything after 1970) so almost every promo has both sides, avoiding the problem with 70s same side promos.

This is a first draft and will have a lot of missing items. Motown family labels not included, mainly because I don't know them well enough and there is way more info available on them from other sources

A scarce record is one that comes up for sale maybe once a year or less often, but can be had with patience and money. Rare records are ones that are rarely offered for sale. In some cases, only a couple known copies

A&M - nothing rare. Terry Knight and Pack 45 listed in discogs has never been found.

ABC - Yum Yums is scarce. Some records listed in discogs that have never been found (Impressions, Styx (rock?)). Merry Dragons, a garage record, is somewhat scarce.

Amy - Lou Ragland is scarce. A couple scarce garage records (Big Boy Pete)

Atlantic - nothing rare

Atco - nothing rare

Bang - nothing rare, a couple records listed in discogs have never been found

Bell - Bernie Williams and Hytones are scarce, but I know three people who have found BW in the US in the past few years. A couple records listed in discogs that have never been found (Untamed, forgot the other)

Buddah - nothing rare

Cameo - nothing rare. A couple 45s listed in discographies have never been found (Shags)

Capitol - nothing rare

Chess - Wurds (garage) is scarce or rare

Columbia - Stereos 45 (early 45 by the Stereo Freeze group) is rare, withdrawn and supposedly only 50-100 copies distributed. Zombies (rock) 45 is rare.

Date - 1st release of Zombies "Time of the Season" is scarce

Decca - nothing rare

Diamond - nothing rare

Dot - I forget which soul 45s are scarce. Syndicate and Sherlocks "Skin of My Teeth" (both garage) are scarce. A couple more borderline scarce rock 45s

Dunhill - Willie Hutch is scarce

Epic - Remains (rock) 45 "I'm Talking About You" is rare

Fontana - can't think of anything rare

Imperial - nothing rare

King - Jr McCants "Try Me..." may be the rarest major label (non Motown) 45. Keith Murphy and Daze (garage) is scarce

Laurie - Tropics (garage) is scarce to rare

Liberty - nothing rare

Mercury - Stormie Wynters is rare. Rooks (garage) is scarce. Rooks 45 was only distributed in certain parts of the country.

MGM - nothing rare

Parkway - Chubby Checker is scarce. Vickie Baines "Country girl" is scarce or rare. Leather Boy (garage) is rare. A couple 45s listed in discographies have never been found (Blue Rondos)

Philips - can't think of anything

RCA - nothing rare

Roulette - East Coast Journeymen (rock) is scarce

Scepter - Johnny Maestro is scarce(?), Dickens (rock, aka NRBQ) is scarce, not as rare as claimed by some sources

Smash - Dowliners Sect (rock) is somewhat scarce. Underpriveledged (garage) is scarce

Swan - mispressed Tony Galla is scarce. The proper TG record is not especially rare. Just Two Guys (garage) is scarce.

Tower - Sam Williams is scarce.Don't recall artist but title (rock) "flashing sun things" is rare

20th Century - Cliff Butler and Doves (rock) is scarce-rare

Uptown - nothing rare

United Artists - nothing rare

Verve - One of the Velvet Underground 45s is scare or rare.

Wand - Walter Wilson, Ivorys are rare. Gentlemen Four and maybe a couple others are borderline scarce

Warner Brothers - David Bowie (rock) is scarce. Marque V (rock) is scarce

Edited by George G
Social source share

I have a very hard mercury soul 45... i have been trying to upgrade it forever. i've never seen it for sale. don't wanna give up which one it is until i upgrade.

There are some very hard blue rock and smash numbers too (which I don't have at all but which do exist).

Social source share

I have a very hard mercury soul 45... i have been trying to upgrade it forever. i've never seen it for sale. don't wanna give up which one it is until i upgrade.

There are some very hard blue rock and smash numbers too (which I don't have at all but which do exist).

Bob, I have a lot more information that I have not posted. This was my rev 0.3 version. I have been collecting info on records like this for a long time....30 years and counting! However, I cut off around 1970.

Social source share

My main interest is in records from the 1960s, I don't know much about records from the 1970s, especially soul

Based on my experience and the comments here, I'll make a list of rare records on major labels. This list will include garage as well as soul, since I know more about certain garage records and why they are rare - might be useful. For now I am not going to mention stock or promo, in most cases promos will be much more available. This list is 1960s based (I don't consider anything after 1970) so almost every promo has both sides, avoiding the problem with 70s same side promos.

This is a first draft and will have a lot of missing items. Motown family labels not included, mainly because I don't know them well enough and there is way more info available on them from other sources

A scarce record is one that comes up for sale maybe once a year or less often, but can be had with patience and money. Rare records are ones that are rarely offered for sale. In some cases, only a couple known copies

Decca - nothing rare

that is interesting you don't think tony ashley "i'll go crazy" decca is a scarce or rare record ? just interested in your opinion.

Social source share

I like this definition because I never know what truly defines a rare record, I probably mix scarce up with rare, suppose I should be more discerning, you live & learn, although I see you have the Hy-Tones as rare, which I thought it was.

Aid.

Social source share

A&M - nothing rare. Terry Knight and Pack 45 listed in discogs has never been found.

ABC - Yum Yums is scarce. Some records listed in discogs that have never been found (Impressions, Styx (rock?)). Merry Dragons, a garage record, is somewhat scarce.

Thanks for the post and for sharing your views. :thumbsup:

However it is just that, your views. So when you say nothing rare on UA I presume you have seen loads of copies of Nathan Williams "What price"?

ABC - Tommy Tate - up there with the biggest of 'em I am afraid.

Atco Ed Robinson Ivory - think this is pretty hard

Buddah - Janice Joyce

I could go on.....but have work to do....

You mention things like Sam Williams, Willie Hutch, Gentlemen 4 etc - there must be at least 75-100 of them over here alone George in DJ boxes and with old collectors etc.

One persons rare is another persons scarce etc etc. But I do like the distinction between rare and scarce.

ATB

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Another record on Mercury.

Jeffery Bowen I'll Get By, never seen a demo, not saying not out there, just don't see around much when browsing.

Manship got issued priced in his book, don't know what a demo would make??

Aid

I've 2 demos on this, first came off of Nogger, the other from the US, not a great deal of demand on it though, traded it to JM around 15 years ago.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Joe hicks "Don't it make ya feel funky" plenty of originals kicking about over the years (Not the boots with silver writing)

but black writing on AGC 0001

but there is a second release by the same company which is on AGC 2 which is worth a lot of money !

370496931300.jpg

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

Joe hicks "Don't it make ya feel funky" plenty of originals kicking about over the years (Not the boots with silver writing)

but there is a second release by the same company which is on AGC 2 which is worth a lot of money !

Yes they put it out twice on the label. There's also another good mid tempo record on the label as well The Performers doing a version of the classic "The right to cry". :thumbsup:

Social source share

Joe hicks "Don't it make ya feel funky" plenty of originals kicking about over the years (Not the boots with silver writing) but black writing on AGC 0001 but there is a second release by the same company which is on AGC 2 which is worth a lot of money ! 370496931300.jpg

"I Gotta Be Free" at least 2 of these sold last year, never been easy to find though, as you say much, much rarer than AGC 0001.

Social source share

Thanks for the post and for sharing your views. :thumbsup:

However it is just that, your views. So when you say nothing rare on UA I presume you have seen loads of copies of Nathan Williams "What price"?

Buddah - Janice Joyce

You mention things like Sam Williams, Willie Hutch, Gentlemen 4 etc - there must be at least 75 of them over here alone George.

One persons rare is another persons scarce etc etc.

ATB

Steve

Steve, thanks for the input, as I said in the intro, there is a lot of missing information. I found a lot of my old notes in case this effort has legs and people want to keep adding to make it more accurate.

The Nathan Williams is a 70s record, that's why it's not included. Ed Robinson, also from the 70s. My list ended had a cutoff of '70 as that's when I was keeping track of this. I don't have the info for Tommy Tate - when is that from?

The idea of scarce was a record that while there are some copies around, it's still not something that is found often. I've seen more copies (promo) of the Yum Yums on ABC then of the three records mentioned. There's also the question of supply and demand, how often is the record offered for sale. Me living in the US, I have a different perspective. Records that were exported in the 1970s escaped my attention. My info is from the US field findings from the 1980s and later

George

Edited by George G
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Yes they put it out twice on the label. There's also another good mid tempo record on the label as well The Performers doing a version of the classic "The right to cry". :thumbsup:

i saw that , There was one for sale on ebay last week !
Social source share

Steve, thanks for the input, as I said in the intro, there is a lot of missing information. I found a lot of my old notes in case this effort has legs and people want to keep adding to make it more accurate.

The Nathan Williams is a 70s record, that's why it's not included. Ed Robinson, also from the 70s. My list ended had a cutoff of '70 as that's when I was keeping track of this. I don't have the info for Tommy Tate - when is that from?

The idea of scarce was a record that while there are some copies around, it's still not something that is found often. I've seen more copies (promo) of the Yum Yums on ABC then of the three records mentioned. There's also the question of supply and demand, how often is the record offered for sale.

George

Cheers George Tommy Tate circa 65-66. I do like the distinction between scarce and genuinely rare. Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Thanks for the post and for sharing your views. :thumbsup:" class="bbc_emoticon" src=" thumbsup.gif" />

Buddah - Janice Joyce

You mention things like Sam Williams, Willie Hutch, Gentlemen 4 etc - there must be at least 75-100 of them over here alone George in DJ boxes and with old collectors etc.

One persons rare is another persons scarce etc etc. But I do like the distinction between rare and scarce.

ATB

Steve

Steve , don`t forget your Darrow Fletcher on Atco " :thumbsup:" Edited by SBOLCA
Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

The Astors on Stax 139 - Just enough to hurt me

Not super rare but a scarce and hard one to turn up compared to their other releases on the label. Came out a couple of years earlier than their more well known releases. Dont know whether this accounts for the scarcity.

Strangely I haven't seen a white label promo of this, albeit I have the other releases on promos.

Best

John

Social source share

I forgot about that.... I know it's a hard record to get, how rare is it?

It took me years to get my copy but then oddly I managed to get a 2nd soon after. I believe in your categories it is certainly scarce and may even be rare.

its a once a year on ebay type sound at a guess.

but when a couple sold for high prices it did bring a couple more our of the woodwork.

for me its a deep soul holy grail one of the very best.

i'm not sure if future stars is classed as a big label but the willie johnson issue is another what i'd call a holy grail and rare record although i've been told there are a few in Japan.

Social source share

https://www.popsike.c...70496931300.jpg

jhoie hicks with the other flip is a realy tough one and its fantastic as well.

Social source share

ATB

Steve

That confirms what I always thought about sam williams. Thanks.

High prices and demand don't always equal rare.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

yes but is it really all "that" rare? Seen enough over the years.

Possibly it slipped under my radar. When I was properly loking for records I only saw a handful of these and always had it down as a realy tough record to turn up.

Social source share

Possibly it slipped under my radar. When I was properly loking for records I only saw a handful of these and always had it down as a realy tough record to turn up.

It is! and when it does it always commands a decent price, the cheapest I ever saw one it was £200, and that was when the first release was going for around 8-15 that was nearly 20 years ago.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Bernie Williams was issued on Bell. Ginger has one and there is one for sale with Pete French. Bloody rare all the same. How many Billy Woods do we reckon there are? I have one and I sold one about 1985, these are not the same copies. So any takers at a guess?

think john Anderson found about 8-10 copies in the first instance.....then the odd ones turned up.....in total prob about 20max

Social source share

Arctic is an interesting one.

I'd say the rarest (and I did collect the label and am, only missing one)

Cindy Gibson, agree Chalky

One of the Brockingtons ditto although I can't remember which one now cos it's not very good.

The one I didn't get (yet) is "Chains of love" which I believe is only on a test pressing and might not exist as a proper finished article.

Thanks for reminding me of the Darrow Fletcher issue :thumbsup:

Social source share

What Does It Take. Scarce rather than rare.

Really? Very few known copies as far as I know. There hasn't been a copy on eBay during the past 12 years and no copies on any of the "big" lists either in that period of time. I got my copy in a private deal a couple of years ago after 10+ years of constant searching, and ofcoure more copies might have changed hands that way, but in my experience "What Does it Take" is a really rare record.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Really? Very few known copies as far as I know. There hasn't been a copy on eBay during the past 12 years and no copies on any of the "big" lists either in that period of time. I got my copy in a private deal a couple of years ago after 10+ years of constant searching, and ofcoure more copies might have changed hands that way, but in my experience "What Does it Take" is a really rare record.

Mmm. Rarer than I thought then.

Social source share

<>

I have the Sherlocks, it's a pretty relentless record, love it. Rarest soul on the label would assume is Chuck Collins, that one's really tough.

How about Ronnie White on Brent - Out of breath, not a "known" 45 but screaming funky soul on a well-distributed label, lists low in any price guide I've seen it in but the promo with Beggin' you on both sides is the only one you see, that's ten a penny, have only ever seen 2 copies of the issue, have one and know where the other one is (and came from), none on popsike, it's been comped by Numero if you haven't heard it (artist listed as Ronnie Whitehead)

Social source share

is statue considered a big label.

One record that eluded me for a very long time was Loyd (lloyd) Hendricks "hooked by love / don't cry no more"

There is reference to copy on popsike for around 70 quid but I think that is way top cheap it seems quite tricky.

"Hooked" is a gritty southern version of the classic homer banks track and realy packs as puch as does the superb flip side with a terrific drum break.

Could also be a candidate for a record that deserves to big big in 2012 i've never heard this played out.

Social source share

This thread is an interesting read. One thing that sucks about this thread though is that whenever some jerk who knows nothing about soul finds a record mentioned in this thread and gets a google hit, they will put it up on ebay for a zillion dollars when it may be very cheap just rare. It would be funny if everyone intentionally misspelled every record or something.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!