Gay Connection?

ulyssees

I don't think the question was on an individual punter level but rather if the two scenes had overlapped at any time with sounds crossing over, for example I heard that Candi Staton's Young Hearts Run Free was a gay 'hit' before it broke out onto mainstream radio playlists in the US, and we've been told that YHRF and gay rights campaigner Gloria Gaynor's first disco releases were played at the Highland Room before anywhere else in the UK.

I can see where you are coming from putting it that way. :thumbsup:

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I started to write a long response but it's not worth it. You're one of those "race doesn't exist everyone is the same" people too probably. You should come to chicago which is heavily segregated and a much larger percentage of african americans versus white people live in poverty, populate the prisons, etc. Racism is institutionalized, no matter how much you want to pretend it's meaningless. People who live together and have common experiences inherently have a common culture that is usually different from people with different experiences. If anything, it's totally ignorant and exclusionary to say that there's some sort of universal culture that applies to everyone. Your "it's all about the music" comment is an example of this. Do you really think that a Paul Anka tune that is good to dance to in a certain way means the same thing to an African American kid living in the projects today as it does to someone in England who was on the northern scene at a specific time? There is no universal music that's great for everyone.

Here's another news flash: there was a gay club culture in the US in the 80s. It's not homophobic to say there was. Not everyone who was gay participated in the culture. But it existed. Asking how the northern scene intersected with this club culture is not homophobic, it's understanding the real dynamics between two different scenes. Pretending that all races, religions, classes equally participated in every possible scene is silly.

I started to write a long response but it's not worth it. You're one of those "race doesn't exist everyone is the same" people too probably. You should come to chicago which is heavily segregated and a much larger percentage of african americans versus white people live in poverty, populate the prisons, etc. Racism is institutionalized, no matter how much you want to pretend it's meaningless. People who live together and have common experiences inherently have a common culture that is usually different from people with different experiences. If anything, it's totally ignorant and exclusionary to say that there's some sort of universal culture that applies to everyone. Your "it's all about the music" comment is an example of this. Do you really think that a Paul Anka tune that is good to dance to in a certain way means the same thing to an African American kid living in the projects today as it does to someone in England who was on the northern scene at a specific time? There is no universal music that's great for everyone.

Here's another news flash: there was a gay club culture in the US in the 80s. It's not homophobic to say there was. Not everyone who was gay participated in the culture. But it existed. Asking how the northern scene intersected with this club culture is not homophobic, it's understanding the real dynamics between two different scenes. Pretending that all races, religions, classes equally participated in every possible scene is silly.

how frigging dare you say what you think i am or aint, you dont know me or my life or circumstances so please dont even try to make out you think you know what i think or know, write as much as you like but please only write about what you actually know and not what you think you know,

someone may be gay woopee fooking doo, that has to be a great idea for a thread, how about i start about fat people who have had an influence on the scene or what about people that might come from a broken home even better what about someone that is into wearing gimp masks and has a small cock, does it frigging matter this scene is about the music not labelling people

end of and if you think you know me better than me then have another try and putting what you think im about :shhh:

Social source share

how frigging dare you say what you think i am or aint, you dont know me or my life or circumstances so please dont even try to make out you think you know what i think or know, write as much as you like but please only write about what you actually know and not what you think you know,

i was repeating what you said in your previous post about race. chill out.

and you're still totally missing the point of what I'm saying. I'm not talking about gay people, straight people, fat people, black people, white people, people with small penises, or whatever.

Social source share

Apologies in advance Simon................................

This may shock all of you but I have been totaly celebate for a nearly a year and I mean totaly I'm now getting towards the end of my obligation and although I'm not allowed to show any pride about this I think that it's a hell of a thing to exsperiance.It's hard

I bet it is :shhh:

On a serious note Simon has a point, what's anyones sexuality got to do with anything? Doesn't enter my head to even wonder about such things.

Social source share

If you look at the posts on here, the majority of them are either chit chat or about Marvin Gaye/Terrell etc................which does seem to say that this thread has been a waste of time in a way.

I'm tending to think that Ulysees, who started the thread in the first place hoped to cause a bit of a stir............substanciated by the fact that he has made no further comment!!! He was on here last night for sure as he posted in another thread.

Edited by Carol J
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Shock horror hold the front page Gay people on the northern scene I never realised , It must have been a coded message when people asked if you had any gear it really meant do you want to go outside and play with my bits and bobs .

Yes it seems they have penetrated all warks of life
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Excellent post. Very well put.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Apologies in advance Simon................................

I bet it is :shhh:

On a serious note Simon has a point, what's anyones sexuality got to do with anything? Doesn't enter my head to even wonder about such things.

Ged I fell for that one mate I had to watch what I said as sometimes when I talk about it something "pop's out " like "it get's very hard when you're celebate " ect.ect. It's not set in stone to be like it unless you're a monk or Nun but when I found out my wife was seeing someone else and leaving me I thought this could be the right time to do it.I tell you something once you get over the first month , and you are going through a upheaval in your life your mind and body cope well with the situation.As I meditate on a daily basis I'm a chilled out creature anyway I recomend to anyone going through a crisis ( Meditation) regards Kane (out of kung foo )
Social source share

If you look at the posts on here, the majority of them are either chit chat or about Marvin Gaye/Terrell etc................which does seem to say that this thread has been a waste of time in a way.

I'm tending to think that Ulysees, who started the thread in the first place hoped to cause a bit of a stir............substanciated by the fact that he has made no further comment!!! He was on here last night for sure as he posted in another thread.

good point carol ,ulysees,give us your thoughts now...youve certainly caused a stir....
Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

Excellent post. Very well put.

Yes the post was well put but also a tad condescending to Bearsy. I really dont have time to think how a black kid in America or a white kid in Australia relates to Paul Anka. How the music affects me is all Im really concerned about. If we have to stop and think about every aspect, possibility or effect before we do anything it is qute sad really. I embrace multi-culturalism and diverse opinions but the music belongs to me. I get what I want from it, how and when I want it. I dont care about ethnicity, race, culture, sexual preferences, size, age etc etc etc when I listen or dance. Nor do I need to consider how it affects others. Bearsy wasnt being ignorant he just agrees with me................it dont matter.
Social source share

Yes the post was well put but also a tad condescending to Bearsy.

you're right it was, but it was in response to an insulting post. I also apologized.

let me try one last time and keep it short. this is not about gay people, black people, or any other type of person going to northern soul events.

There was a gay club scene (gay and straight people participated in it). There was a northern soul scene (gay and straight people participated in it). There was some interaction between the scenes. A valid question is to ask what the interactions are.

if someone responds with another "big surprise, gay people attended northern soul events" the thread should like auto lock itself or something.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

seems to me Ulyseees lit the touch paper and buggered off or have i missed a 2nd or 3rd post maybe :g: i would agree complete load of ##### . although i do know a couple of gay lads on the scene and never give it a 2nd thoiught and dont give a rats .... close thread :thumbsup:

It's funny you should say that When he started it he started it by saying "As a Buddhist i have been celibate for a year , and i mean celibate "

and possibly other stuff as well . That part of the post disappeared not long after and i can't see why ?

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

you're right it was, but it was in response to an insulting post. I also apologized.

let me try one last time and keep it short. this is not about gay people, black people, or any other type of person going to northern soul events.

There was a gay club scene (gay and straight people participated in it). There was a northern soul scene (gay and straight people participated in it). There was some interaction between the scenes. A valid question is to ask what the interactions are.

if someone responds with another "big surprise, gay people attended northern soul events" the thread should like auto lock itself or something.

I know that Bob but you did kind of imply that Bearsy wore blinkers or a Utopia goggles set. Anyway............

As somebody who drifted away from the scene when the disco infusion came to the fore, perhaps I cant pass comment, however as a lad finding his feet in the world at 13 or 14, I was in awe at some of the macho hard men knocking about in my home town. Imagine my surprise and delight to discover some of them were into Northern Soul. Imagine then how shocked I was to see these blokes dancing on their own or in pairs or groups. This was alien to me and when I mentioned it to others who knew nothing of the scene, "they must be gay" came the reply. Now clearly they were not, though others were, but that matters not, but non-believers may have labelled NS as "gay" music.

I can see how the gay fraternity were attracted to Northern, especially with the introduction of Studio 54 type disco music, but I honestly dont believe there is a greater correlation between gay people or influencing by gay people of NS than in any other genre of music. Or am I wrong?

Social source share

since you said your not making any more posts youve managed to slip in another three,asking for closing and locking ect isnt this hot topic going your way of thinking now,,,
Social source share

I know that Bob but you did kind of imply that Bearsy wore blinkers or a Utopia goggles set. Anyway............

As somebody who drifted away from the scene when the disco infusion came to the fore, perhaps I cant pass comment, however as a lad finding his feet in the world at 13 or 14, I was in awe at some of the macho hard men knocking about in my home town. Imagine my surprise and delight to discover some of them were into Northern Soul. Imagine then how shocked I was to see these blokes dancing on their own or in pairs or groups. This was alien to me and when I mentioned it to others who knew nothing of the scene, "they must be gay" came the reply. Now clearly they were not, though others were, but that matters not, but non-believers may have labelled NS as "gay" music.

I can see how the gay fraternity were attracted to Northern, especially with the introduction of Studio 54 type disco music, but I honestly dont believe there is a greater correlation between gay people or influencing by gay people There of NS than in any other genre of music. Or am I wrong?

I still don't think we're talking about the same thing or really communicating (although at I feel some dialog here). I'm not talking about how many gay people participated in the northern scene. I am talking about the interaction between two different scenes and their cultures and values.

For example, if the thread were "how did the northern scene influence the house scene, and vice versa" or "how did the northern scene influence the techno / rave scene and vice versa" there would be more discussion maybe. There definitely was a gay club scene (which again, gay people and straight people participated in). There was definitely some connection, culturally, to the northern scene given that some people participating in defining the culture of both.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

since you said your not making any more posts youve managed to slip in another three,asking for closing and locking ect isnt this hot topic going your way of thinking now,,,

I posted again initially because someone made like a personal attack and then posted again because there seemed to be a little bit of discussion. Thanks for your comment though, that really adds a lot to the thread.

Social source share

You,re not pompous are you Boba :wink:

Such an irrelevent thread deserves puerile and banal comments :rofl: nobody actually cares .

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

It's funny you should say that When he started it he started it by saying "As a Buddhist i have been celibate for a year , and i mean celibate "

and possibly other stuff as well . That part of the post disappeared not long after and i can't see why ?

?

Social source share

You,re not pompous are you Boba :wink:

Such an irrelevent thread deserves puerile and banal comments :rofl: nobody actually cares .

that's funny on a message board where the most discussed topic is "original vinyl only" and trying to determine a ridiculous complicated set of rules as to what's acceptable to play and what's not.

I also don't see how the history of your scene is irrelevant but whatever you say.

Call me what you want, I have the balls enough to apologize for being insulting to a member.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

that's funny on a message board where the most discussed topic is "original vinyl only" and trying to determine a ridiculous complicated set of rules as to what's acceptable to play and what's not.

I also don't see how the history of your scene is irrelevant but whatever you say.

Call me what you want, I have the balls enough to apologize for being insulting to a member.

Whats gay got to do with the history of the NS scene ? its just people enjoying music , sexuality has never been an issue nor should it ever be .

Social source share

going round in circles here

can see three or more different takes from members on what this thread is about

and cant see a quick way to merge them all so everyones talking about the same thing

so seems easiest thing is to close it

thread closed, if do wish to discuss any of topics raised either start a new thread

or pm me or chalky and will see if extracting posts to a new thread is worthwhile

cheers

mike

Edited by mike
Social source share