Discovering Records

Guest allnightandy

Guest allnightandy

Back in the Wigan days sellers used to turn up with boxes of records sometimes with a bizarre tale attached to them !

a couple of instances spring to mind

a guy turns up one night with a box full of Clara Ward Right Direction Verve Demo's

and The High Keys Living a Lie Verve Demo's

most of them had been badly water damaged he said they came from the basement of a flooded warehouse somewhere in America and that a diver had found them !

some were worse than others my high keys is perfect but my clara ward has slight water damage but some were shagged(label wise) they were £4 each !

another time a similar lot of records turned up slight water damage to the labels etc now this guy said the water damage was due to them being used as ballast in cargo ships , due to the weight of records they filled the bottom of ships with them to keep them upright at sea lol

was this you or did you know either of the sellers or do you have a similar story !

Andy

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest brianw70

Hears similar story about howard guyton verve 45 being used as a ballast in ships , always thought it was a myth. not sure now :g:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Deleted 45's As 'ballast' For Ships...

Sorry, the font size went all little :huh:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Deleted 45's As 'ballast' For Ships...

Sorry, the font size went all little :huh:

I can't believe this has been covered six years ago !

Well i wasn't on here then and i guess a lot of others weren't either so if you know anything about these bizarre claims lets hear it

Social source share

Hears similar story about howard guyton verve 45 being used as a ballast in ships , always thought it was a myth. not sure now :g:

I think those Guytons came from either George's Song shop or another shop close by in central Pa. Think there was a flood sometime which ruined a lot of basements. Used to spend quite a bit of time in US looking for 45s and recall being told this. I'd guess there may have been other Verve titles involved.

It appears to be a quite common occurence over there. Alex Jones and I once spent a couple of hours going through a lady's basement in Chicago. Multiple copies of Bobby Hutton on Philips and Apostles [funk 45] plus others all stuck together. Luckily there were still some 45s attached to peg boards which were undamaged but the lady spent a lot of the time we were looking, ripping the damaged 45s apart for us. Of course we didn't want them in that condition. Now they'd be OK for dj-ing!

Another time we were actually walking on records at Dolores' in Cleveland. By the time you got a couple of feet inside the door they were 3' deep. Nowhere to move to. What was surprising was how few were actually broken. You just plunged your arm in to the mess and saw what you came out with.

ROD

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert