Philadelphia International Classics - The Tom Moulton Remixes! Out 27/02/12

If ever there was a package that should in everyone's collection, then surely this one must be it!

Following on from the massively popular "Philadelphia International: The Re-Edits" package, here is the 2nd release in our special "Philly 40" campaign which is celebrating the 40th Anniversary of Philadelphia International Records. Welcome to the hugely anticipated "Philadelphia International Classics: The Tom Moulton Remixes".

Tom Moulton's involvement with Philadelphia International spans the entire 40 years of their existence with many of his early mixes unaccredited in the era before the 12" Disco Disc. In 1977 PIR released the ground-breaking historic original double LP "Philadelphia Classics" which featured 8 of Tom Moulton's greatest PIR mixes. The album has subsequently been reissued several times and is rightly hailed as a 'must have' classic for ANY serious music lovers' collection.

We have now taken all 8 tracks featured on the original "Philadelphia Classics" added a further 7 'lost' Tom Moulton mixes which have previously never been easily available and commissioned a further 16 BRAND NEW Tom Moulton mixes on The O'Jay's "Back Stabbers", The Intruder's "(Win, Place or Show) She's A Winner", Billy Paul "The Whole Town's Talking", Robert Upchurch "The Devil Made Me Do It", The Three Degree's "Year Of Decision" and "When Will I See You Again", Archie Bell & The Drells' "Let's Groove" and "Where Will You Go When The Party's Over", Lou Rawls' "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine" and "See You When I Git There", People's Choice "Jam Jam Jam (All Night Long)", Teddy Pendergrass' "I Don't Love You Anymore", The O'Jay's "This Time Baby", The Futures' "Party Time Man", Jean Carn's "My Love Don't Come Easy" and The Jones Girls' "Nights Over Egypt".

This will be 31 true full-length Philadelphia International Classics in total delivered in a deluxe box with 4 separate CD's plus a 20 page booklet with sleeve notes by Lloyd Bradley and containing some rare photos of Tom and Sigma Sound studios.

In short, "Philadelphia International Classics: The Tom Moulton Remixes" will be one 2012's most revered releases.

th_MoultonPhillyPackshot-1.jpg

th_HURTXCD112PhiladelphiaInternationalClassics-TheTomMoultonRemixesExpandedPackshot.jpg?t=1326466729

Philadelphia International Classics: The Tom Moulton Remixes - Track Listing

(All songs in chronological order from when they originally charted on the Billboard RnB Single or Album Chart)

CD 1

1. Back Stabbers 9.36 - The O'Jays

Original U.S. Single Chart Debut 08/07/72

2. (Win, Place Or Show) She's A Winner 7.28 - The Intruders

Original U.S. Single Chart Debut 19/08/72

3. Slow Motion 7.47 - Johnny Williams

Original U.S. Single Chart Debut 09/09/72

4. Love Train 6.14 - The O'Jays

Original U.S. Single Chart Debut 20/01/73

5. I'll Always Love My Mama 9.41 - The Intruders

Original U.S. Single Chart Debut 12/05/73

6. The Love I Lost 12.28 - Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes

Original U.S. Single Chart Debut 22/09/73

7. Dirty Ol' Man 8.17 - The Three Degrees

Original U.S. Single Chart Debut 06/10/73

Total Playing Time: 61.31

CD 2

1. The Whole Town's Talking 8.39 - Billy Paul

Original U.S. Album Chart Debut 24/11/73

2. Love Epidemic 7.32 - The Trammps

Original U.S. Single Chart Debut 29/12/73

3. T.S.O.P The Sound Of Philadelphia 5.42 - MFSB Featuring The Three Degrees

Original U.S. Single Chart Debut 02/03/74

4. Year Of Decision 6.44 - Three Degrees

Original U.S. Single Chart Debut 09/03/74

5. Where Do We Go From Here 5.30 - The Trammps

Original U.S. Single Chart Debut 18/05/74

6. Love Is The Message 11.30 - MFSB

Original U.S. Single Chart Debut 13/07/74

7. The Devil Made Me Do It 10.35 - Robert Upchurch

Original U.S. Single Release (Didn't Chart)

8. When Will I See You Again 5.52 - Three Degrees

Original U.S. Single Chart Debut 28/09/74

Total Playing Time: 62.04

CD 3

1. Trusting Heart 5.58 - The Trammps

Original U.S. Single Chart Debut 23/11/74

2. Bad Luck 8.00 - Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes

Original U.S. Album Chart Debut 01/03/75

3. Trammps Disco Theme/Zing Went The Strings Of My Heart 6.41 - The Trammps

Original U.S. Album Chart Debut 10/05/75

4. Do It Any Way You Wanna 5.30 - People's Choice

Original U.S. Single Chart Debut 19/07/75

5. I Love Music 9.43 - The O'Jays

Original U.S. Single Chart Debut 01/11/75

6. Don't Leave Me This Way 11.03 - Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes

Original U.S. Album Chart Debut 06/12/75

7. Let's Groove 10.20 - Archie Bell & The Drells

Original U.S. Album Chart Debut 27/12/75

8. You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine 9.57 - Lou Rawls

Original U.S. Single Chart Debut 15/05/76

Total Playing Time: 67.12

CD 4

1. Where Will You Go When The Party's Over 9.05 - Archie Bell & The Drells

Original U.S. Album Chart Debut 22/01/77

2. Jam Jam Jam (All Night Long) 7.42 - People's Choice

Original U.S. Album Chart Debut 26/06/76

3. I Don't Love You Anymore 8.41 - Teddy Pendergrass

Original U.S. Album Chart Debut 19/03/77

4. See You When I Git There 9.36 - Lou Rawls

Original U.S. Album Chart Debut 16/04/77

5. This Time Baby 9.50 - The O'Jays

Original U.S. Album Chart Debut 29/04/78

6. Party Time Man 9.09 - The Futures

Original U.S. Single Chart Debut 13/01/79

7. My Love Don't Come Easy 10.46 - Jean Carn

Original U.S. Single Chart Debut 22/12/79

8. Nights Over Egypt 9.12 - The Jones Girls

Original U.S. Single Chart Debut 13/02/82

Total Playing Time: 67.12

Amazon Link:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philadelphia-International-Classics-Moulton-Remixes/dp/B006W33UC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1326472760&sr=1-1

This is seriously the greatest album I've ever heard in my life! Once the mixes start filtering out I reckon most people will feel the same. An absolute pleasure to have such brilliant repertoire to work with in the hands of the best person in the world to remix these beauties. A phenomenal album!

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

........................lately , your costing me a small fortune :D , nice Ian , very nice. Any chance of a taste of whats to come?.

Ralph Tee's definitive 10CD Philadelphia International 40th Anniversary Box Set is coming up in March and then Richard Searling's "The Roots Of Philly" (with an exclusive Richard Searling/Kenny Gamble interview on DVD) should be ready for April touch wood.

Personally I'd think about taking out that second mortgage about now Garv! :thumbsup:

Social source share

....and about time too. Let's make this the best year for Tom since '76 :thumbup:

Steve

I had to nurse Tom throughout this whole project. He was still tweaking some mixes @ midnight last Saturday night after working solidly for the last 4 months and he was physically and emotionally drained which I completely understand. I've been listening to these mixes since just before Xmas and the sheer wealth of material and musicianship on those master tapes is almost too much to comprehend and incredibly humbling when you understand the sheer level of musicianship and expertise employed on these recordings.

I'm pretty confident in saying that these were the most well written, well produced and well arranged songs in 1970's Soul Music history. We will NEVER hear repertoire and productions of this level again in our lifetimes. We were so lucky to experience such a rich musical legacy as we were growing up. As Tom himself said the other night, "where the hell can we go after this"? to which I replied, "we've peaked mate, it'll NEVER get any better than this"!

Social source share

sounds good Ian - just for my benefit what is the difference between a 're-edit' and 're-mix' , is 're-mix' using the actual tapes ?

Yep, got it in one Mike. In fact I wrote this on the 'Philadelphia International: The Re-Edits' thread:-

"However, with the advent of re-edit culture and the increasing sophistication of affordable new technology, suddenly there was no longer the need to physically access the original master tapes - a costly and expensive process at the best of times. Now a re-editor could work from the comfort of his laptop and craft a re-edit at his or her leisure. This meant that rather than working in an expensive studio and compressing all your ideas into several hours or even several days, now re-edits can be done to each re-editors individual time-scales, whether they be over a couple of weeks or even a couple of years in some cases. The result has been that now a finished re-edit can finally be presented once someone has lived with it and tweaked it for weeks, months or even years. So, essentially, the disadvantages in not having access to the original multi-track tapes (and being able to isolate each track separately) can often be outweighed by the sheer time you can spend in getting something absolutely right without the time constraints of using an expensive studio".

Social source share

I had to nurse Tom throughout this whole project. He was still tweaking some mixes @ midnight last Saturday night after working solidly for the last 4 months and he was physically and emotionally drained which I completely understand. I've been listening to these mixes since just before Xmas and the sheer wealth of material and musicianship on those master tapes is almost too much to comprehend and incredibly humbling when you understand the sheer level of musicianship and expertise employed on these recordings.

I'm pretty confident in saying that these were the most well written, well produced and well arranged songs in 1970's Soul Music history. We will NEVER hear repertoire and productions of this level again in our lifetimes. We were so lucky to experience such a rich musical legacy as we were growing up. As Tom himself said the other night, "where the hell can we go after this"? to which I replied, "we've peaked mate, it'll NEVER get any better than this"!

Ian , do you ever film the great man working ?. It would be fasinanting to see him at work & a permenant record for PIR / soul music history.

Social source share

........ As Tom himself said the other night, "where the hell can we go after this"? to which I replied, "we've peaked mate, it'll NEVER get any better than this"!

Your answer should've been "Get working on the memoir book, you slacker!" :D

Fantastic work again Ian and the pre-order's already done!!

Social source share

Ian,

Tom is a perfectionist. When he mixed "The Love I Lost", he sent me about half a dozen versions each time he tweaked it. There were differences but to the untrained ear it would have been barely noticable. His excitement at what he had done though shone through and he would point out 'Do you like what I've done there... Do you not think that it sounds better with...', to which I had to agree. Subtle differences lost on many are so important to Tom... and Tom is so important to the music industry. We have so much to thank him for. :hatsoff2:

Steve H

Social source share

Ian,

Tom is a perfectionist. When he mixed "The Love I Lost", he sent me about half a dozen versions each time he tweaked it. There were differences but to the untrained ear it would have been barely noticable. His excitement at what he had done though shone through and he would point out 'Do you like what I've done there... Do you not think that it sounds better with...', to which I had to agree. Subtle differences lost on many are so important to Tom... and Tom is so important to the music industry. We have so much to thank him for. :hatsoff2:

Steve H

Yep, he's a real one-off who has never moderated his views or kissed ass to anyone. This project had so many logistical problems and licensing issues that there were times when I thought it would never happen but I'm so relieved that we got there in the end. He's still tweaking even as I write this. Once a perfectionist, always a pefectionist ay?

Hope you're well mate!

Social source share

Ian , do you ever film the great man working ?. It would be fasinanting to see him at work & a permenant record for PIR / soul music history.

Thanks for reminding me Garv. Here's some clips of the great man from when we did "Philly ReGrooved"....

Tom Moulton and Reid Whitelaw talk about "Philly Re-Grooved" Part 1

Tom Moulton and Reid Whitelaw talk about "Philly Re-Grooved" Part 2

Social source share

Your answer should've been "Get working on the memoir book, you slacker!" :D

Fantastic work again Ian and the pre-order's already done!!

LOL, I don't even have time to read anymore leave alone write anything Neil. :(

I'll save it for retirement! Hope you're well and all is good. Give my love to the missus.......

Social source share

A few pics of a number of iconic musical locations in a fantastic city:

My good pal Dave Fergie and I in the mixing booth at Philadelphia International Records on Broad St, Philadelphia.

post-1369-0-27879300-1326552408_thumb.jp

Dave and I outside Kenny Gamble's office at PIR. It's a great photo of Motown meets PIR! . Not many get that far into the place. I actually got into his office for a brief couple of minutes.

post-1369-0-91845300-1326552566_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Inside the recording studio at Philly International on Broad St.

post-1369-0-33129200-1326553020_thumb.jp

At the piano in the recording studio. Leon Huff's fingers been ticking these particular ivories? Who knows?

post-1369-0-76226000-1326553096_thumb.jp

Dave F in the Masters Vault of Masterworks (Frankford Wayne) in Philly. Talk about hairs on the back of yer neck!

post-1369-0-82860000-1326553230_thumb.jp

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

OK, here's a sneak preview of just some of the new Moulton mixes which I played on the show this week.....

Six Million Steps Presents The Original Mastercuts Show LIVE with Ian Dewhirst between 2.00-4.00pm on Sunday 15th January 2012 on everyone's favourite Soul station www.starpointradio.com.

Featuring......

1st Hour

Cee-Lo Green - Bight Lights, Bigger City

Archie Bell & The Drells - Let's Groove - New Tom Moulton Remix

Hardsoul feat Ron Carroll - Back Together - Francois K Remix

M&S feat Sean Escoffrey - So Sweetly - Kenny Carpenter Big Apple Mix

Billy Paul - The Whole Town's Talking - New Tom Moulton Remix

Lou Rawls - See You When I Git There - New Tom Moulton Remix

The O'Jays - This Time Baby - New Tom Moulton Remix

2nd Hour

The Intruders - (Win, Place Or Show) She's A Winner - New Tom Moulton Remix

Love Committee - I Made A Mistake - Rahaan Re-Edit

The Trammps - Where Do We Go From Here - New Tom Moulton Remix

Jerry Butler & Brenda Lee Eager - Ever Since I Can Remember

Syreeta Wright feat Stevie Wonder - To Know You Is To Love You

Jean Carn - My Love Don't Come Easy - New Tom Moulton Remix

Robert Upchurch - The Devil Made Me Do It - New Tom Moulton Remix

The Three Degrees - When Will I See You Again - New Tom Moulton Remix

Download Link

https://www.sixmillionsteps.com/6MS-2012-01-15-Starpoint.mp3

Enjoy!

Social source share

For a complete run-through of the album and the master himself talking about each track he remixed, check out Jay Negron's FANTASTIC show from Saturday.......in Jay's own words........

"TOM MOULTON was our guest and he previewed his new CD: "PHILADELPHIA CLASSICS: THE TOM MOULTON MIXES"

We played almost all the tracks to this MONUMENTAL release...and as usual TOM outdid himself.....WHAT A TREAT"!!!

New York's Disco 935 21/01/12 - Jay Negron Interviews Tom Moulton

https://rcpt.yousendi...655aed394b682c7

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Some more of those wonderful Tom Moulton remixes here:-

1st Hour

The O'Jays - Backstabbers - Tom Moulton Remix

The Three Degrees - Year Of Decision - Tom Moulton Remix

Jose Burgos feat Kenny Bobien - For Your Love - Tom Moulton 2011 Remix

Luther Vandross - Never Too Much - Fingerman Re-Edit

Marvin Gaye - Got To Give It Up - Elijah Collins Re-Edit

Archie Bell & The Drells - Where Will You Go When The Party's Over - Tom Moulton Remix

2nd Hour

The Casualeers - Dance Dance Dance

The Idle Few - People That's Why

Bobby Hebb - Love Love Love

Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose - It's Too Late To Turn Back Now

The Four Tops - If I Were A Carpenter - Apple Scruffs Re-Edit

Brenda Holloway - All I Do Is Think About You

Junior Walker & The All-Stars - Way Back Home Inst & Voc

The Jones Girls - Nights Over Egypt - Tom Moulton Remix

David Ruffin - Walk About From Love - Soho 808 Re-Edit

Lou Rawls - You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine - Tom Moulton Remix

https://www.sixmillionsteps.com/6MS-2012-01-29-Starpoint.mp3

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Carl Dixon

Just ordered etc. Just love 'Year of Decision' Ian. Cracking job......just listening to the stream here at work on overnights. There will be material with full orchestra like this, if I get my way ha ha.....

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update to the tons of enquiries I've been fielding about this album since it was posted up in early January.

Despite thinking that everything was OK due to all the meetings we had in mid 2011 with various parties, it still transpired that there were some incredibly torturous licensing issues to deal with on this project which have taken the best part of the last 8 weeks to square away!

I'm happy to say that everything has now been finalised to everyone's satisfaction, all the parts have gone to manufacture and this incredible project will now be released on:-

26th MARCH 2012

This is the biggest ever pre-sell for any Harmless album since I've been here, so the demand has been absolutely huge. I'm just so fantastically relieved that we've managed to overcome the obstacles and get the bugger out!

Best,

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

There's some great stuff coming up on this album which I'll post up when I get the details through.....

In the meantime coming up on Saturday I highly recommend any mix freaks out there to tune into JJ and Coopsy's Six Million Steps show:-

Two hours of Tom Moulton's Philly classics remixed all in the mix on the 6MS Sessions this Saturday LIVE at 11am on www.stompradio.com.

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

hi ian, long time no see Tom did some incredible 'Salsoul' mixes as well not sure if thats out on a cd now it was released on cassette tape so its a few years old all the best waggy from donny

Yep, I worked extensively with Tom in the early 00's when I re-released the Salsoul catalogue:-

https://www.discogs.com/label/Suss%27d+Records

Tom actually was really Salsoul's in-house engineer and tape custodian which was handy but, boy, did he protect those bloody tapes. Getting stuff out of Tom was a military excercise in itself at times but it was always inspirational to see someone that took his work so seriously. He really is the genuine article.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've just taken delivery of the finished package and it looks beautiful!

th_MoultonPhillyPackshot-1.jpg

th_HURTXCD112PhiladelphiaInternationalClassics-TheTomMoultonRemixesExpandedPackshot.jpg?t=1326466729

In the shops in 10 days time on the 26th March! One of the few days that I actually feel happy with my life! Package of the year so far (talking as a fan of course)!

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

In the bag now.cheers carole

A fantastic package to own Carole and the best investment you've made for years! Countless hours of pleasure listening the greatest Soul music of the 70's and 80's all remixed with love by the most talented remixer of all time. Beats the shit out of a new handbag or a pair of Jimmy Choos LOL... :thumbup:

Social source share

A fantastic package to own Carole and the best investment you've made for years! Countless hours of pleasure listening the greatest Soul music of the 70's and 80's all remixed with love by the most talented remixer of all time. Beats the shit out of a new handbag or a pair of Jimmy Choos LOL... :thumbup:

Bloody hell Ian. Are you on the change. I didn't know you carried a handbag and wore Jimmy Choos :D

Steve

Social source share

Bloody hell Ian. Are you on the change. I didn't know you carried a handbag and wore Jimmy Choos :D

Steve

Believe me, it's a lot more pleasurable then trying to get project like this off the ground LOL.

It's a bitch trying to find men's size 11 Jimmy Choos so I have to wear the largest women's size but that creates some uncomfortable chafing just below the ankle. I have a nice array of purple handbags thankyou very much.

Social source share

OK, just 3 days to go until we finally hit the shops and here's how we're looking:-

"'Philadelphia International Classics: The Tom Moulton Remixes' is currently moving rapidly up the Amazon rankings and will likely reach a peak next week when it becomes finally available.

We're currently:

No.1 Disco

No.1 Soul/RnB

No.6 Box Sets

No.95 Overall Ranking

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philadelphia-International-Classics-Moulton-Remixes/dp/B006W33UC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1332419854&sr=1-1

The Times Review tomorrow which will review 'Philadelphia International Classics: The Tom Moulton Remixes' and 'Disco Discharge: American Hot' with the new Madonna album 'MDNA' should be a must-read and the huge UK Radio Promotion campaign this weekend should make this release the highest-charting Harmless album ever touch wood!

This all bodes well for the forthcoming 40th Anniversary Box Set"!

Wish I had time to go to the Ritz this weekend! :(

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

OK, the day of truth......the first midweek chart of this week....... :g:

Phew!

Philadelphia International Classics: The Tom Moulton Remixes enters the Top 200 compilation chart at a staggering No.11 with over 1000 sales across the counter in the first day of release.

F*ckin' GREAT! :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest mickeyb

OK, the day of truth......the first midweek chart of this week....... :g:

Phew!

Philadelphia International Classics: The Tom Moulton Remixes enters the Top 200 compilation chart at a staggering No.11 with over 1000 sales across the counter in the first day of release.

F*ckin' GREAT! :thumbup:

Went to Soulstice in Reading on Saturday - kinda Jazz Funk do. One of the DJ's said he was gonna do a Philly set when I asked who's got the Tom Moulton remixes. He didn't (you gotta play to the floor) but he did play See you when I get there Lou Rawls - brilliant!! :) Off topic - he also played Sad Girl Carol Anderson - I didn't complain.

Social source share

Guest smoothwasson

just got it this morning, been on my deck ever since....If anyone ever says to me What is that crap your playin, i would seriously punch them...fantastic cd...i urge everyone who likes real music BUY THIS XXXX

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!