Monster Ballads Hiding On B-Sides Of Northern Classics

Weingarden

there is an answer record to mr soft touch by the marvels on mercury. i always wondered what connection there was between some random white group on mercury and jeanette williams. like was there a bigger song they were both responding to? I think jeanette was from detroit, any info on her?

Social source share

Think we haven't done this one yet

Absolutely superb track from one of my all time favourite groups :thumbsup:

Cheers

Richard

Cynthia & Imaginations - The Love You Forgot (Blue Rock 4082 A)

https://soundcloud.com/user1502162/cynthia-imaginations-the-love

Should have said the other side of this is "Why Weren't You There (I Needed You)"

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Some amazing records on here this last few months and I think I need some lessons on what was officially an "A" side and a "B" side!

Hope I'm not repeating any and a few which I can't find on you tube, also which I don't know how to post soundclips of for now... I love for them being such a different tempo of quality soul from the A sides. Whether the A sides to these can be classed as "Northern Soul Classics" is maybe up for debate, but then what isn't up for debate these days!

Jean Carter - "That boy ain't no good" (flip to "Like One")

Sandra Phillips - "Hoping you'll come back" (flip to "I wish I had known")

Alex Brown - "Something" (flip to "I'm not responsible")

Sunday - "Where did he come from" (flip to "Ain't got no problems")

I actually thought Clydie King "My Love Grows Deeper" was an "A" side (the demo I have on Imperial doesn't seem to say, like so many other 45's...unless I'm being dumb!)...so I was thinking that the gorgeous "Missin' my baby" was therefore a "B" side. Apparently not having looked into it tonight, but here it is anyway... as it's still the "B" side in my brain, but actually the one I listen to more :D

Edited by 71 Steve
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

This is nice to, it's the other side to 'The Limitations - I'm Lonely, I'm Troubled'

All the best,

Len.

Can't play the YT clip due to slow internet connection. But aren't this one and the Voltaires "my my baby" the same song just with completely different arrangements?

Social source share

Not sure if this counts as a "Monster Ballad" but it is to my ears as it just makes me close my eyes & soak it up when I play it (except when driving!) and I can't see it's been listed as yet, so shoot me down or just enjoy! :D

Lovations - "(I keep singing) la la la ooh"....literally! (flip to "Heaven told me so")

Social source share

Not sure if this counts as a "Monster Ballad" but it is to my ears as it just makes me close my eyes & soak it up when I play it (except when driving!) and I can't see it's been listed as yet, so shoot me down or just enjoy! :D

Lovations - "(I keep singing) la la la ooh"....literally! (flip to "Heaven told me so")

this is more "monster" than many people's posts, one of the greatest female group tracks of all time

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Can't play the YT clip due to slow internet connection. But aren't this one and the Voltaires "my my baby" the same song just with completely different arrangements?

Hi Benji,

No, I think it's a different song mate.

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

Be great to see this thread run a bit more, but hard looking through to make sure no repeating.

I can't see this has had a mention, but I think it's worth posting having found it on the shelf gathering dust tonight.

Z.Z. Hill - "Everybody needs somebody"....not to be confused with the perhaps better known song with same title on Blues Brothers film! :D(flip to " You just cheat and lie" on KENT)

Social source share

• 2 months later...

one 45 ive always liked is Rueben Bell on Silver Fox "Action speaks louder than Words" /" Too Late"......the A side got plays at TOTW ..real good Southern take on the Impressions style..."too late" is a nice ballad,,,,late 60ts....i suspect that Elbert (Eddy)Giles was in the male vocal chorus on both of these......btw the demos have ASLTW on both sides so you dont get the ballad but thats a bonus for some :shades: ...both tunes are on youtube .....

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I would be getting concerned that I was getting on a bit, if I started prefering the slow sides to the uptempo!

:huh:

Thank fook I'm gettin' on a bit then

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest Dave Turner

Well looks like my last post was a real thread killer  :lol:

Anyway, 7 months on and thanks to a post in an online group I was stunned to hear this today.

I don't know how I missed it but if you have Alice Clark "You Hit Me" in yer box flip it over for a sublime piece of soul music.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Linda Jones ... "My Heart (Will Understand)

flip to "I Just Can't Live My Life"

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Not exactly what I'd term a ballad but Roy Redmond "Ain't That Terrible" has fabulous cut of Sam Cooke's immortal " A Change Is Gonna Come" on the flip 

Social source share

my 2 fave ballads ever marie knight and Edwin stars harlem have been mentioned so check these

Freddie north the hurt , great dark version of 'its no good for me'

little Charles I guess I have to take . 'give me a chance' over the top dramatics, messy production but oozes charm and atmosphere that got me hooked anyway and his voice kills it. cheers c

Social source share

3 Monster B-sides off the top of my head are:

Freddie Chevez - Baby I'm Sorry (They'll Never Know Why)

Garland Green - Forty Days & Nights (Girl I Love You)

Nancy Wilson - Face It Girl It's Over (End Of Our Love)...well actually this was the A-side but End Of Our Love was bigger on the scene??

Edited by ady of newark
Social source share

Ruby Sherry - Please dont go / Feminine Ingenuity - Take 6

Albert Jones - Reflections / Up to the sun - Bumpshop

Jackie Lee - One for the road / Darkest days - ABC

Rozetta Johnson - A womans way - Mine was real - Cotillion

Meant to put the R Sherry up last night you bang on with that TRICKY

Social source share

Joseph Moore I'm Lost Without You/I Still Can't Get To You Mar-v-lus

The Sonatas Vendor Come Back (To Me)/Going On Down The Road Hotline

Percy Wiggins The Work Of A Woman/It Didn't Take To Much (For Me To Fall In Love) RCA

Rose Valentine When The Heartaches End/I've Gotta Know Right Now RCA

Sam Hutchins I'm Pretending/Dang Me AGP

James Dockery Giving You The Love You Need/My Faith In You Is All Gone Soul Craft

Eugene Gamble Strange Love/There's Still A Tomorrow Feron

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!