Monster Ballads Hiding On B-Sides Of Northern Classics

Weingarden

The david dee side "forgive me girl" on the flip of "ever loving man" is brilliant deep soul.

all copies i've seen have been in very poor condition does anyblody have an Ex or better one ?

there was one clean one that went through ebay recently, I think seller was hanceville-a ?

Social source share

Cheers for that Bob, didn't know that version (same backing?) think I'd stay with Lee Moses myself, just love his voice

But I'll certainly be picking up The Chosen Few record!

steve

obviously we're looking for different things in a record. I love the group on the chosen few and the voice of the lead, obviously the lee moses is much more deep soul. I think the chosen few version was first but I'm not 100%

Social source share

obviously we're looking for different things in a record. I love the group on the chosen few and the voice of the lead, obviously the lee moses is much more deep soul. I think the chosen few version was first but I'm not 100%

Going by the writing credits "Lewis Lewis & Farmer" I'd have thought Lee's was first version, as It's the same writing team on the flip "Time & Place" Lee's version is Jan. 1970 (acording to label).

As for looking for different things in a record, that's the beauty of this music to me :thumbsup:

steve

Social source share

there was one clean one that went through ebay recently, I think seller was hanceville-a ?

I must've missed the clean one I recently saw a g copy and there is another crackly copy recorded on youtube.

hanceville-a sells a lot of great records.

Social source share

Guess I'm just a dumb ass. Never really flipped records over. . . unless it was known as a double sider. :(

They most likely won't be known as double siders as the music is so far removed from northern soul that a lot of people might not even like what they hear when they flip it over.

Social source share

Going by the writing credits "Lewis Lewis & Farmer" I'd have thought Lee's was first version, as It's the same writing team on the flip "Time & Place" Lee's version is Jan. 1970 (acording to label).

As for looking for different things in a record, that's the beauty of this music to me :thumbsup:

steve

you must be right. Also, we obviously have different tastes, which is great, because it would suck if everyone liked the same thing...

Social source share

The flip of the funk biggie by innersouls on plemmons is a brilliant mellow soul track. Not sure i'd class it as a traditional ballad its more haunting almost x-over.

this is one of my big wants. i didn't mention it here because i didn't know if the funk track was a "northern classic".

Social source share

Guest Modesto soul

bernie moore " i'm still a lonely soldier" flip of "which way to turn" lark .....come on mr brown stick it up for us all to hear !!!!!! (or kitch of course) or any one else who has one!!!!

franc

I heard of this side recently and would really like to hear it as well.

Social source share

this is one of my big wants. i didn't mention it here because i didn't know if the funk track was a "northern classic".

its not massively known by northern people as it only had a few pplays on that scene but obviously some know it. A lot of funk people know it though but that scene is very small.

Social source share

paramount four-ive made up my mind/you dont know-southern city

I like how that pic clearly shows it's the a-side :) .

Bobby Brinkley calls my radio show sometimes, he says that the Paramount Four back the Bobby Brinkley and the Squires record. He also wrote a pretty nice Willie Hobbs 45 on seventy seven.

Social source share

I like how that pic clearly shows it's the a-side :) .

Bobby Brinkley calls my radio show sometimes, he says that the Paramount Four back the Bobby Brinkley and the Squires record. He also wrote a pretty nice Willie Hobbs 45 on seventy seven.

which willie hobbs song was it?I like "love em and leave em" by willie hobbs..nice deep soul

Social source share

There are trillions surely, but the best of the lot (or one of the best to CMA) is Carol Anderson - I'll Get Off At The Next Stop, beautified brilliance, basicly simply the best!Q

Although the Linda Jones Hypnotised must be hitting the top twenty

What a good excuse to play the other sides tonight.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

"please don't let me down" which is also pretty good deep soul (at least good enough for me to like it being someone who usually doesn't like deep soul)

judge of hearts is also fantastic he made so many brilliant records. NOt sure i've ever listened to the flip though so it may not fit into this thread properly.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!