Which Version Do You Prefer?

Davemac3

been trawling through youtube tonight and came across this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyEaH6phCd8&feature=related

and the Trammps version

any other oldies out there?

No competition as far as I'm personally concerned...........Judy wins hands down. Two reasons, for one the song is sang as it was originally meant to be sang (or should that be sung??).............and secondly, I'm just a big fan of Judy Garland...........have been ever since I was knee-high to a grasshopper!!! :yes:

Edited by Carol J
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

No competition as far as I'm personally concerned...........Judy wins hands down. Two reasons, for one the song is sang as it was originally meant to be sang (or should that be sung??).............and secondly, I'm just a big fan of Judy Garland...........have been ever since I was knee-high to a grasshopper!!! :yes:

Totally agree on every count Carol :-)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I actually hate these old standards that people do covers of. It's only when they totally transform it into their own song in their own genre and make it sound good do i like it. So I'm of the opposite opinion that the "original is best". Of course an uninspired cover that copies the original might be worse than the original.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

The original version of "Night Owl" doesn't go that far back- Tony Allen's version on Specialty is from the mid 50's.

There are other versions inc one by Horace E Wooten
Social source share

A good song is like an omelette. You can't mess it up, but it has to start with an egg. I enjoy a good cover, from a classic original to a funky masterpiece of the same. A 'classic' can endure whatever you add or take away. The melody stays the same. Arranged differently, but still there.

Your version will be the reason for the season. Just enjoy.

Lorraine

• Helpful 1
Social source share

also the original of you're gonna wreck my life paul havekin posted it up a while back on facebook a 50's blues track ?

that man of mine ila van is also an old song.

howlin wolf

mark

Probably sacrilege to most northern fans, but I dislike this even more than I dislike guitar Ray's version

Social source share

A good song is like an omelette. You can't mess it up, but it has to start with an egg. I enjoy a good cover, from a classic original to a funky masterpiece of the same. A 'classic' can endure whatever you add or take away. The melody stays the same. Arranged differently, but still there.

I agree with this, just like many people will enjoy any version of "let's stay together", even if the actual singer is terrible, because they're also singing a lot.

For me the cut is "ooh baby baby", I don't care how bad the cover is and in most cases it adds a slightly different dimension (and I'm singing along horribly out of tune anyways).

Social source share

that man of mine ila van is also an old song.

]from the musical "Showboat"

I like best the "Male version"-"Can't Help Loving That Girl of Mine" by The Hide-A-Ways from 1956 (R&B greasy ballad). As for "Zing! Went The Strings of My Heart", I like best The Satintones' Motown version from 1961,also The Coasters', and various R&B group harmony versions from 1955-64.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iwaYTSFW_Q&feature=related

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

"Willow Weep For Me", a song from the 1930s (by Ann Ronnell), had a few versions in the '30s and '40s, and a hit by Chad & eremy in the mid '60s. My favourite version is by Detroit's Barons in 1959, led by Roger Craton (AKA Lee Rogers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g833nIRUrwk

Here's an early version by Billie Holiday:

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I was just about to put this up for record of the day then i remembered this post !

OR

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

Guest spudmurphy

Your version will be the reason for the season. Just enjoy.

Lorraine

love it
Social source share

you still are lolololol

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!