News: Soulful Kinda Music Hits 1500

• Replies 36
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Well it's taken ten years, but I've finally managed to hit 1500 discographies and label listings on the Soulful Kinda Music website. My thanks to everyone who has contributed over the last few years, in particular Bosco Asanovic, who not only has added probably half the total, but also goes through everything I add, and corrects it :lol:

The additions since the beginning of this year are as follows:

Artist discographies: Gloria Taylor, Josephine Taylor, The Ikettes, The Brothers Of Soul, The Jackson Five, Hamilton Bohannon, Sam Hawkins, Tommy Bush, Ann Byers, Lorraine Chandler, Kenny Gamble, Diamond Joe, Leon Haywood, Little Sonny, Pat Lewis, Sir Mack Rice, and The Invincibles

Label Listings: Sound Of Soul, Brewtown, Bronco, Golden Eye, Sound City, Blue Star, TMP-Ting Yorktown, Mercury, Arnold, and Gone.

As always, contributions, and corrections are welcome from anybody.

A milestone achievement in our scene Dave, and without such references on-line (in this 'high tech' world of ours!) - we'd all be less knowledgable when we feel 'the need to know!' and likewise, share with all.

May your dedicated passion - and those who contribute at all levels (esp. Bosco) - forever remain, and never wane!

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

i find the site really useful & appreciate the hell out of it, great work. i keep meaning to send you additions & corrections too, maybe one day i'll get around to it :D

here's one fixed up

Odex

4001 - Barbara Jean - While You're Out Shopping / You Don't Love Me (No More) (1963)

4002 - The Perails - Sweetness (1963)

1042 - Fe-Fi-Four Plus 2 - Mr. Sweet Stuff / Pick Up Your Head (1967)

1043 - Vikki Styles - Tears Won't Stop Falling/If I Didn't Love You (1967)

1044 - Alice Thomas - A Girl's Tears / I'm Coming Home (1967)

1067 - Years People / Frank Tenella - Funky Drop (Part 1) / You Came Along And Changed My Whole Life And Made It Worth Living (1967)

1711 - The Premiers - Speaking Of You / Funky Monkey (1970) (also on JOB 503 with different mix)

Social source share

more details

Seven B

7012 - Oliver Morgan - What's Good To You Pts. 1 & 2

7016 is Lenny not Lonny McDaniel

7017 artist is Eddie Bo & Inez Cheatham & is also on Capitol 2150

7018 artist is Bobby Williams Group & is also on Capitol 2201

7030 - Don Pittman - Chicken / Bill Bailey

7036 - Little Buck - Everybody's Love / Walking In The Mist (the titles are wrong on your site)

Edited by Kris Holmes
Social source share

more details

Seven B

7036 - Little Buck - Everybody's Love / Walking In The Mist (the titles are wrong on your site)

Thanks Kris,

Updates done

Social source share

A great site indeed, thanks Dave!

Here are some more corrections/ additions to the Seven B discography:

7000 - Phil Danna - Got Something Baby / I'll Be Gone

7033 - Kenneth Gillette - Dark Is My World / I Can't Lie To My Heart

7040 - Don Pittman - Java / Gonna Make A Vow

7043 - Larry B - Milo Schmidlapp / Give Me Hope

more details

Seven B

Social source share

Agreed I was just singing its praises elsewhere, I always had a look for specific things on this but only recently just looked randomly and it is awesome, very very valuable historical document, and so comprehensive.

You wouldn't think it of a man who I believe likes men who play with odd shaped balls.

One challenge however, is you can't say it is complete until you answer the Bob and Earl Loma question, 27 years of chasing it, so I can't die without knowing for definite if it exists or not......

Social source share

You wouldn't think it of a man who I believe likes men who play with odd shaped balls.

One challenge however, is you can't say it is complete until you answer the Bob and Earl Loma question, 27 years of chasing it, so I can't die without knowing for definite if it exists or not......

True, I do like men who play with odd shaped balls, but at least my national male costume is not a skirt :lol:

It's an interesting question regarding the Bob & Earl record. There are actually quite a few other records listed on the site that I'm fairly sure were never actually released in a physical piece of vinyl format. However, the company records say they were released, so who am I to argue with that ?

One example is Chess Records, I'm almost positive (As are many other collectors and discographers), that there are some singles listed in the Chess catalogue that don't physically exist. But what does that mean ? If the singers sang the song, and it was allocated a catalogue number do they they exist as Chess singles, albeit unreleased ? I don't know ?

The view I have taken for SKM is simple (Bit like me really). If the catalogue lists it, it exists. It is almost impossible to prove a record doesn't exist, but just because a record hasn't been found doesn't mean it won't be. There might only be one box of 25 singles that are hidden away under forty years worth of rubbish in the back storeroom of what used to be a One-Stop in Chicago, and they are sitting there waiting to be found. So there's always a chance.........

Now I realise this way of viewing things is extremely frustrating for label collectors because they end up searching for records that might not exist (There was a thread recently about Impression' singles that a collector had searched years for but never seen) but all I can say to those collectors is get a life :wicked: Find something interesting to do with your lives like writing out lists of records :lol:

Social source share

Sorry Davina, didn't mean to sound critical of that approach, I agree 100%, unless proved it does not exist, and even then I would still record it as unissued, just in case.

My point was even though I stopped collecting Loma 2 records short, this being one of them, 2 years ago, and I have formally stopped buying 45's I still dream about this record.Its fatal. So until someone, probably Bob Krasnow level, tells me it definitely doesn't exist, I will keep thinking of it. Mind as above would even that work.....

Social source share

A lot of the chess catalog numbers that don't exist (there's obviously a lot of them) were actually released on the original label the artist was on but with the chess number. I think there are some that don't exist at all but very few.

Record #s that don't exist are the bane of my existence.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Hi i was just looking at the discograpy for Dyno-Voice Dyno-Vox lable

i am pretty certain i have a toys lovers concerto on Dyno-Vox which isn't listed how rare is it ?

or is this just an American/Canadian , East coast / West coast thing ?

Thanks Andy

Social source share

Hi i was just looking at the discograpy for Dyno-Voice Dyno-Vox lable

i am pretty certain i have a toys lovers concerto on Dyno-Vox which isn't listed how rare is it ?

or is this just an American/Canadian , East coast / West coast thing ?

Thanks Andy

that doesn't make much sense for the US label at least because the label was originally called "dyno-vox" and the name changed happened with an earlier release:

https://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/dynovoice.htm

https://www.globaldogproductions.info/d/dyno-vox-dynovoice.html

if yours says "dyno-vox" I guess it could be from another country, it might be more obvious if you post a pic. I doubt it's because it was from a different US pressing plant.

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Can admin remove the above post

Dont know what happened

i was trying to send you a photo

andy Best i can do is this

https://du113w.dub113...tYWdlL2pwZWc_3d

The bell sound matrix numbers are identical i would go as far as to say they were pressed with the same "Tins"

the differences are there is an extra line of text under"THE TOYS" which says Arr.@Cond by CHARLES CALELLO

the biggest difference is the Dyno-Voice record is styrene with square cut edge and a stick on label

The DynoVox is vynil beveled edge with a moulded on label

i bought both records off a dealer in New York about three years ago

sorry about the crap photo and the crap attempt to post it above

Andy

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

Can admin remove the above post

Dont know what happened

quickest and best way is to use the "report post" feature not the support "contact us" feature

links at bottom of each post

that way all mods are aware and who evers around can deal with it

cheers

mike

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

quickest and best way is to use the "report post" feature not the support "contact us" feature

links at bottom of each post

that way all mods are aware and who evers around can deal with it

cheers

mike

Yes but i got told off for reporting it twice yesterday lol

so i'll just leave it

Thanks mike it seems to have gone now

thanks andy

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

Yes but i got told off for that yesterday so i'll just leave it

thanks andy

nah you wasnt, you aint used it yet

each individual post has a report link next to the quotes button, use that and that will go straight to all the mods

dont use the "contact us" unless its for membership etc reasons

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

that doesn't make much sense for the US label at least because the label was originally called "dyno-vox" and the name changed happened with an earlier release:

https://www.soulfulki...t/dynovoice.htm

https://www.globaldog...-dynovoice.html

if yours says "dyno-vox" I guess it could be from another country, it might be more obvious if you post a pic. I doubt it's because it was from a different US pressing plant.

As i said in the updated post , Both bought from a New York Dealer and matrix bellsound stamp identical !
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I couldn't look at your link, it says to log onto "windows live" when I click on it.

Either way, I believe you at this point.

sorry i'm just crap with computers if you want the image i could send it to your mobile/cell phone number

Andy

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert